What's your opinion of teenagers working? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What's your opinion of teenagers working?

Go down 
+7
MandyPerfumeGirl
TPP
Shale
GrayWolf
Tony Marino
Supernova
Chris
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

What's your opinion of teenagers working? Empty
PostSubject: What's your opinion of teenagers working?   What's your opinion of teenagers working? EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 11:57 am

What are your thought on sixteen year olds working? I believe there used to be a time when teenagers had to be 'permitted' to work by their school (based on GPA). Teenagers still need a work permit, but nowadays, schools just arbitrarily give them out when prompted. Would you be for or against your mid high schooler taking a part time job? Good idea, or should they focus that time on school and social life?
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion of teenagers working?   What's your opinion of teenagers working? EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 12:02 pm

It also used to be, and for all I know it still is, you could drop out of school at 16 and start working, I never heard anything about the school having to issue permits.

I'm not personally for it, on one hand yeah they could use the money, everybody could always use a little more money, but between work and school, when exactly would they be enjoying what time they have left before they HAVE to work all the time?
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male
Rep : 607

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion of teenagers working?   What's your opinion of teenagers working? EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 12:07 pm

I am all for them getting a part time job, if they can't handle a part time Job and school then they are complete idiots. I did it from when I was 14 years old and I was able to handle both.

Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion of teenagers working?   What's your opinion of teenagers working? EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 12:09 pm

Supernova wrote:
It also used to be, and for all I know it still is, you could drop out of school at 16 and start working, I never heard anything about the school having to issue permits.

I'm not personally for it, on one hand yeah they could use the money, everybody could always use a little more money, but between work and school, when exactly would they be enjoying what time they have left before they HAVE to work all the time?

Whats wrong with in the evenings after homework or on the weekends to enjoy themselves? What would they be doing after school anyways, texting, Internet, TV?? Put them to work!!

Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion of teenagers working?   What's your opinion of teenagers working? EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 12:20 pm

That depends on how long they have to spend on homework. My nephews are in high school, and over the years they have gotten SO much homework, they literally start on it when they get home, work till dinner, then work after dinner until bed, and STILL are not finished by breakfast the next morning, only for the whole thing to start again at the end of the next school day. Now, that is just screwed up beyond all belief, but apparently that's how it's becoming for a lot of kids in this country now.
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion of teenagers working?   What's your opinion of teenagers working? EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 12:26 pm

I can remember being up late doing my homework but big deal, so I missed a TV program I liked, I could always record it and watch it another day. I had my rewards by getting good grades in school and that was more important to me than watching TV or anything else distracting. Yep it was frustrating as all hell sometimes but you make a choice either you do it or screw up.
Back to top Go down
GrayWolf
…is Authorized.
…is Authorized.
GrayWolf

Male
Rep : 36

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion of teenagers working?   What's your opinion of teenagers working? EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 12:38 pm

The "focus on school" mentality is naive, there's no reason a kid can't do both if his job is only part time. All teenagers should work IMO, get them prepared for what is right around the corner.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion of teenagers working?   What's your opinion of teenagers working? EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 1:14 pm

Sure but there's a difference in work and a job. I've been working at all kinds of stuff since I was 9; gardening, house painting, secretarial work, tutoring, etc., but I never had an official job during that time.
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion of teenagers working?   What's your opinion of teenagers working? EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 1:19 pm

I guess I was privileged. I wasn't required to work while in HS. I was in he military 3 days after graduation, so there was no hanging around after graduation.

Culturally that was the norm for suburbia in the early '60s. We extended that to our daughter while she was in school in the '80s.

However, I've noticed in Miami the Caribbean kids are made to get a job while in HS. It is just a cultural expectation.
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion of teenagers working?   What's your opinion of teenagers working? EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 1:28 pm

I was by no means forced by my parents to get a job, I wanted to work and it was a thrill when I bought something with my own money.
Back to top Go down
TPP
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
TPP

Female
Rep : 69

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion of teenagers working?   What's your opinion of teenagers working? EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 2:40 pm

I would rather my kids get a part time job after school than go out and find trouble. Then again money can buy them more trouble...

I definitely want them to find summer jobs though. No one needs to be sitting around being lazy for three months!
Back to top Go down
MandyPerfumeGirl
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
MandyPerfumeGirl

Female
Rep : 26

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion of teenagers working?   What's your opinion of teenagers working? EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 2:47 pm

Everybody has to start working eventually, and I think 16 is a good age to start, although it's not really an advantage to the public for teenages to be working because they're so arrogant at that age. But nevertheless we have to tolerate them.

But back to my original point. I think 16 is a good age to start, but it's not a necessity. If they decide they want to wait another year or two, I don't see anything wrong with that. 16 is just a baby. I certainly wouldn't call a teenage kid an "idiot" just because they can't handle a job and school at the same time. That's pretty mean.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion of teenagers working?   What's your opinion of teenagers working? EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 2:58 pm

As long as they don't flunk out of school I don't see anything wrong with teenagers having a part time job if they want one. Their main responsibility is to get an education though.
Back to top Go down
Nhaiyel
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Nhaiyel

Female
Rep : 123

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion of teenagers working?   What's your opinion of teenagers working? EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 3:07 pm

I think teenagers working is a good idea, and agree with thepossiblepolice about summer jobs. My first job was at age 16, working at the ticket counter of AMC theaters. It didn't interfere my school work...my shift was from 4-10, after school, and from 11-7 on weekends. I had time to do my homework.

Meanwhile, I didn't get to keep all of my check. My parents had me pay rent, even at that age. Later I found out that much of what I ponied up to them went into my college savings, but they wanted to instill in me that you don't get to live anywhere for free; and that with money came responsibility. It's a good lesson to learn. My kids will have part time jobs.
Back to top Go down
http://www.musicfanclubs.org/aaliyah/
Cheaps
Cheaps

Female
Rep : 252

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion of teenagers working?   What's your opinion of teenagers working? EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 12:17 am

Tony Marino wrote:
I was by no means forced by my parents to get a job, I wanted to work and it was a thrill when I bought something with my own money.

co-signs
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion of teenagers working?   What's your opinion of teenagers working? EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 11:29 pm

I think teen work hours should be limited. I think that for many, they focus too much on job and not on school.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion of teenagers working?   What's your opinion of teenagers working? Empty

Back to top Go down

What's your opinion of teenagers working?
Page 1 of 1