Black History Month Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Black History Month

Go down 
+6
MandyPerfumeGirl
Alan Smithee
Forgiveness Man
CeCe
Tony Marino
Chris
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

Black History Month Empty
PostSubject: Black History Month   Black History Month EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 1:31 pm

Black History Month Black-history-month

As everyone knows, February is Black History Month; commemorating the history of black people in America. My question, though, is how do you feel about months being designated to observing and celebrating the history/accomplishments of racial and ethnic groups?
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male
Rep : 607

PostSubject: Re: Black History Month   Black History Month EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 1:32 pm

I think its great there should be more of them.
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

PostSubject: Re: Black History Month   Black History Month EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 2:25 pm

Tony Marino wrote:
I think its great there should be more of them.

co-signs
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: Black History Month   Black History Month EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 2:36 pm

I think it's kinda dumb and pointless. (And ultimately counterproductive to the efforts that motivated the starting of it in the first place)
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

PostSubject: Re: Black History Month   Black History Month EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 2:47 pm

I don't see it as being counterproductive at all. It's a time of education & awareness. Where I live they do these PSAs depicting the accomplishments of people throughout history. There are things that may not be common knowledge & are actually very interesting. It also gives people a sense of pride about who they are as well. I think it's great. It benefits everyone.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Black History Month   Black History Month EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 4:07 pm

I see nothing wrong with it but re Black History Month specifically. Was it one of Bill Maher's New Rules that we celebrate the history of a people abducted from a tropical climate in February?
Back to top Go down
MandyPerfumeGirl
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
MandyPerfumeGirl

Female
Rep : 26

PostSubject: Re: Black History Month   Black History Month EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 4:58 pm

I think it's a great thing. Blacks have gone through trials and tribulations more than any other ethnic group in America, brought upon solely by the white man. I think their (the blacks) strength should be admired and celebrated. And that goes for any other minorities, too.
Back to top Go down
Jason B.
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Jason B.

Male
Rep : 70

PostSubject: Re: Black History Month   Black History Month EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 9:07 pm

I see nothing wrong with setting aside a month to shine a spotlight on the history and accomplishments of a certain group of people. It's not that different from an organization having a party to honor an individual for their work.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Black History Month   Black History Month EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 3:03 am

Should be longer. Because quite frankly, I'm tired of hearing about the same damn black people every year. Martin Luther King Jr., George Washington Carver, Rosa Parks, Booker T. Washington, Jackie Robinson. Granted, they were great people, but there are SO many other that needs the light to be shined on.
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: Black History Month   Black History Month EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 9:28 am

Jason B. wrote:
I see nothing wrong with setting aside a month to shine a spotlight on the history and accomplishments of a certain group of people. It's not that different from an organization having a party to honor an individual for their work.
I think it is a bit different.
Back to top Go down
Jason B.
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Jason B.

Male
Rep : 70

PostSubject: Re: Black History Month   Black History Month EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 9:35 am

Forgiveness Man wrote:
Jason B. wrote:
I think it is a bit different.

I disagree. I feel that the analogy is similar.
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: Black History Month   Black History Month EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 1:01 pm

Moments in Black History:
February 2007

1940, Dr. Charles Drew invented the blood bank.

1940, Hattie McDaniel first black Oscar for best supporting actress in "Gone with the Wind."

1947, Jackie Robinson, first black in major league baseball, Brooklyn Dodgers.

1965, Bill Cosby, first black star of a network TV show "I Spy."

1967, Carl Stoke first black mayor of major city, Cleveland Ohio.

1967, Robert H. Lawrence, Jr. first black astronaut.

1980, Brenda Williams tells her sister "I'm gonna give that white boy some."

The rest, as they say, is History!

Black History Month 1980rob-brenda-augweb
Shale and Brenda - 1980
Beechgrove Apts. Westwego, LA

On a more serious note, we should tolerate Black History Month a while longer, perhaps as long as ppl think in terms of black and white, rather than in more inclusive terms that do not differentiate by color.

Yep, we still color code in all things in our society instead of seeing beyond the racial differences. When that will end IDK, but I likely won't see it. Altho, saw a burger add on TV yesterday where a black guy and white woman were sitting at a table together. Coulda been coworkers at lunch, but it is a beginning of the end of normal color-coded couples.

Unfortunately that gets countered by the routine and NORMAL casting in CSI NY last night when Dr. Sheldon Hawkes (Hill Harper) has a budding relationship with Camille (Lesley Ann Brandt) a cute color-coded (safe) character.

So, to me moments in Interracial History would be the first interracial kiss on TV between Kirk and Uhura on Star Trek in 1968, which was shortly after the famous Loving v. VA case of 1967, that made it legal for Shale and Brenda to add to that history in 1980.

I think we should have Interracial History Month in June.

Back to top Go down
CatEyes10736
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
CatEyes10736

Female
Rep : 126

PostSubject: Re: Black History Month   Black History Month EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 11:44 pm

The only problem I have with black history month is that it makes it easier to negate heavily focusing on it until February and then when it comes around, often it's only just lip service. It should be as regularly interwoven with the overall subject history as any other.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

PostSubject: Re: Black History Month   Black History Month EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 4:43 am

I just found out some more months that commemorates the history of various groups.

- African-American History Month (February)
- Irish-American Heritage Month (March)
- Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month (May)
- Hispanic Heritage Month (September)
- Polish-American History Month / Italian-American History Month (October)
- American Indian/Alaska Native Heritage Month (November)

And currently the wheels are in motion for the establishment of a Scottish-American History Month.

Misc:
- Women's History Month (March)
- Gay History Month (October)
- Veterans Day (November 11)
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Black History Month   Black History Month Empty

Back to top Go down

Black History Month
Page 1 of 1