CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+2
MandyPerfumeGirl
Supernova
6 posters

Dog Day Afternoon

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Dog Day Afternoon Empty Dog Day Afternoon

Post by Supernova Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:26 am

Wow! How did I not see this movie until now? Well I know how, they don't have it in any video store around here and the town library doesn't have it either and it's NEVER shown on TV, why that is, I don't know, but I digress.

I LOVED this movie, hated the ending but I find that's often the case with good movies, but I loved this one. I'm actually wondering if the number of 'fuck's used in this movie are comparable to the number used in Scarface. Anyway, LOVED Al Pacino in this, read a couple of ironic things though, he knew about the real bank robbery when it was happening and people remarked the head robber would be an interesting role for him to play. Also I read that the real robber, John Wojtowicz (and if anybody knows how to pronounce that, please let me know) watched The Godfather to plan how to rob the bank, but I don't remember there being a bank robbing scene in the Godfather, but moving on.

If I'm to believe what I found, the REAL Sonny, when he was in prison, he had seen the movie, and HATED how they portrayed his wife and actually said he felt sorry for the actress for having to play such a horrible role.

John Wojtowicz, I don't know about, but the character of Sonny in this movie, I liked him, bank robber with a heart of gold, you gotta love that. Here is a guy that you would HOPE if you were ever in the crossfire of a bank holdup, that the robbers would be like this guy, he doesn't WANT to hurt anybody, he wants everyone to get out of it alive, and they would've been in and out if the stupid cops (yeah I know it's their job and they can't allow a bank robbery to go on but look what happened because of it) hadn't shown up and ruined everything.

LOVE this movie, that's about all I can say.

And on a side note, it's very funny because years ago, I had never seen this movie, barely knew anything about it, knew even less about the real case, but when I heard that John Wojtowitcz had died, I felt...I don't know...it's funny because for knowing as little about it as I did, I had hoped to someday meet the real 'Sonny' and talk to him, and thinking back now I can't even remember what I wanted to talk to him about, but when I heard he died, I personally felt cheated. But as I said, I digress.
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Dog Day Afternoon Empty Re: Dog Day Afternoon

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:29 am

I love this movie! I haven't seen it in years though, but great, great film. I don't like what Pacino did with his voice though, I found it annoying. A great drama, but a few comical parts too - Sonny: "I'm a Catholic and I don't want to hurt anybody."
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:01 am

Yeah I like that, wonder if it was the same for Sal, he'd rob a bank but he wouldn't smoke. And that's an ironic and tragic part because he said he didn't smoke because he didn't want cancer, and the actor playing him died of cancer 3 years later.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:19 pm

And now you know why John Travolta was yelling "Al Pacino! Attica! Attica! Attica!" in Saturday Night Fever Wink
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:20 pm

Except I never saw Saturday Night Fever, I started to once but I just couldn't get into that.
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:29 pm

Supernova wrote:And that's an ironic and tragic part because he said he didn't smoke because he didn't want cancer, and the actor playing him died of cancer 3 years later.

Wow, that's weird, I didn't know that!
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:33 pm

Another thing I found funny in the movie was when they were getting pizzas for the hostages and Sonny says 'I gotta get money to pay for the food', I was like What? 'huh?' That's funny though, he's a bank robber, but he's going to pay for the pizzas, and then he takes out the money and is throwing it to everybody, that was funny.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:57 am

bump This movie's on now on TCM and I'm recording it, I'm hoping I get it all but I think it's going to cut off the end, just as well I hate the ending, but this never gets old, I love this movie, I love Sonny, it's so funny because the movie's dialogue between them, like in the real situation, was all done on the fly, they were just going with it, improvising and it worked, great movie.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:04 am

Movie was boring in most parts.....although I dud chuckle a few times in others.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:27 pm

Maybe it's just me, but I was watching this movie again the other day, and I love the telephone conversation between Sonny and Leon, it is believable, but I just can NOT picture the two of them together. Maybe I just can't picture Al Pacino with another man period, but this one especially, I didn't buy it. Of course I couldn't believe that pig of a wife, that he would be attracted to that either, but apparently she'd only recently gotten fat, so that might explain that one, but I don't get how he picked either one of these people.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:29 pm

Good flick.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps