CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+3
TPP
Supernova
Chris
7 posters

Borders files bankruptcy

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Borders files bankruptcy Empty Borders files bankruptcy

Post by Chris Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:19 pm

Borders files bankruptcy as it struggles to respond to changes in book market
    By Michael S. Rosenwald
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011; 2:20 PM

The story of Borders Group has apparently reached its climax.

The iconic bookstore chain, founded in 1971 by brothers Tom and Louis Borders, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy reorganization Wednesday morning, weighed down by more than $1 billion debt and unable to navigate rapid changes in consumer behavior.

In: E-books downloaded whenever, wherever. Out: People buying books in Borders stores.

The Ann Arbor, Mich., company said in court filings that it will close about 30 percent of its more than 600 stores, including several in the Washington region. Thousands of employees will lose their jobs.

The local closures are expected to include some of the chain's most popular area outlets: at White Flint Mall, on Rockville Pike in Montgomery County; on Wisconsin Avenue in Friendship Heights; and at 18th and L streets NW in downtown Washington. Virginia stores in Vienna and Winchester are also expected to close, as are Maryland locations in Bowie and Largo.

"This is the biggest bankruptcy in the history of the book business," said Albert Greco, senior researcher at the Institute for Publishing Research. "This is really a depressing day."

Borders has asked a bankruptcy judge in New York to let it begin liquidating inventory at stores this weekend, noting in court filings that the Presidents' Day holiday would bring high foot traffic. In liquidations of stores it closed last year, Borders sold everything under the roofs, even bookshelves and cleaning supplies.

Across the region Wednesday, shoppers at Borders and store owners nearby expressed shock at just how far the chain had fallen. Bert Oser, the owner of pen store Bertram's Inkwell at the White Flint Mall, said Borders had been packed over the Christmas holiday and that he had been wondering whether the location would pull through.
    ad_icon

"I'm really sorry to see them go," Oser said.

At the Borders on 18th and L in the District, shopper Kevin Marrion said it never crossed his mind that such a prime location would close.

"I work in this building," he said. "I come here every day for coffee and to take a break. I walk around and buy books, magazines, random things to read. I never thought this would close. It's high traffic. I've been coming here for so many years."

Borders' problems have been mounting for years.

Analysts say it made numerous mistakes: outsourcing its e-book business to arch-competitor Amazon.com for years; a costly overseas expansion; and an expensive stock buyback program that rewarded shareholders but left the company low on cash as changes in book buying behavior mounted.

"This is a company that crashed well before it crashed," Greco said. "You could see this coming for a long time."
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Borders files bankruptcy Empty Re: Borders files bankruptcy

Post by Supernova Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:25 pm

I never heard of Borders but that's sad.

And, it may sound like a career suicide but that's why if I ever get published, I'm staying as far away from the e-reader business as possible, I got no use for them and I don't appreciate them taking business away from good places like that.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Post by TPP Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:00 pm

I found out about this last night, because Lego Club is at Border's and they don't know if there will still be Lego Club after this month sad Then I saw it was announced this morning.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male

Post by Chris Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:38 pm

Supernova wrote:I never heard of Borders but that's sad.

And, it may sound like a career suicide but that's why if I ever get published, I'm staying as far away from the e-reader business as possible, I got no use for them and I don't appreciate them taking business away from good places like that.

Wow. Supernova, you've never heard of Borders?
    Borders files bankruptcy Borders-books-store
    Borders files bankruptcy Borders-books-logo
    Borders files bankruptcy Fairfield_Borders
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:47 pm

Nope, that should tell you how little of a place I live in. We don't have any chain book stores, we had one local one that didn't even manage to keep its doors open for a full year.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:22 pm

It's not that people are only buying e-books. It's that Borders has horrendous prices. It's like when Virgin when under.
    AtownPeep
    AtownPeep
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 39

Post by AtownPeep Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:11 pm

I heard about this on the news today. It's sad because once upon a time I really liked going to Borders. First B. Dalton shut down, now this.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Post by TPP Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:26 am

Rockbird wrote:It's not that people are only buying e-books. It's that Borders has horrendous prices. It's like when Virgin when under.

They have great clearances though, and they let you have meetings there for free, which is nice. I love Border's to go hang out at, but I only ever buy clearance books and stationary stuff there...Oh and coffee milkshakes...The coffee place inside of ours has the best milk shakes.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:47 pm

That's too bad. It is going to be one day that only mass retailer like Walmart will have books to sell. No more book stores. That is really sad.
    alissain
    alissain
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Female
    Rep : 2

Post by alissain Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:11 am

Do you all really think e-books will replace book stores? I don't know...alot of people like to go to book stores just to relax, read, drink coffee, hang out. Not everyone is going to buy a Kindle, Nook, etc. I know its discouraging to see bookstores close but I seriously doubt they will be wiped out. Not everyone likes the new e-readers.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male

Post by Chris Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:19 am

alissain wrote:Do you all really think e-books will replace book stores? I don't know...alot of people like to go to book stores just to relax, read, drink coffee, hang out. Not everyone is going to buy a Kindle, Nook, etc. I know its discouraging to see bookstores close but I seriously doubt they will be wiped out. Not everyone likes the new e-readers.

That's encouraging to hear someone say, and personally I don't go for kindles and the like. I'll always prefer the written page. Hopefully my Border's will be spared, I haven't checked in on them since the bankruptcy story broke. I do know, though, that the last time I was there (about a month ago) their inventory was looking thin. Borders used to be one of my casual hangouts, and I'd go there to do just what you described.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 3:33 pm