CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
CeCe
RedBedroom
Nystyle709
Supernova
stonestatic
9 posters

Blockbuster Video prepares to declare bankruptcy

stonestatic
    stonestatic
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 24

Blockbuster Video prepares to declare bankruptcy Empty Blockbuster Video prepares to declare bankruptcy

Post by stonestatic Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:19 pm

A video store icon fades as Netflix's stock price soars. Retail giant hopes to reorganize as a digital business Video
    By Christopher Hickey

Blockbuster Video prepares to declare bankruptcy Md_horiz
    marvistamom.com

Nowthere really are no more late fees. Blockbuster Video, the venerablegiant of video retailers, announced this morning that it's in the finalstages of declaring bankruptcy. Some may ask why Blockbuster didn't dosomething sooner -- say, five years ago, when online rental serviceslike Netflix took off. But no matter. While some '90s trends revive, others vanish into the ether with Chumbawamba and the Public Reform Party. AlthoughBlockbuster was slow to react to online rentals, the retailer attemptedto compete by abolishing late fees and launching its Total Accessonline rental program. But Dorothy Pomerantz at Forbes observes TotalAccess bled the stores of inventory. Blockbuster also brought back late fees last year, when nobody was looking.

Blockbuster'snew plan is to emerge from Chapter 11 with a renewed focus on digitaldistribution, while keeping a select few retailers open for business.The tech website NewTeeVee wonders whether Blockbuster can competewith the already-crowded digital field. One might also ask the samequestion the Next Web proposes: Is Blockbuster's announcement another nail in the coffin for physical media? Heck, when's the last time you bought a DVD, let alone rented one?

Meanwhile, Netflix's stock rose 4.8 percent this morningfollowing Blockbuster's announcement, hitting a new high of 154.22.Adding a dollop of whipped cream to the chocolate milkshake of a weekit's having so far, Netflix launched its much talked-about streaming-only service in Canada today. Yowza, talk about rubbing it in.

The Onion probably "gets" Blockbuster Video better than anyone else:

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Blockbuster Video prepares to declare bankruptcy Empty Re: Blockbuster Video prepares to declare bankruptcy

Post by Supernova Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:50 pm

No skin off my nose, we never had a Blockbuster.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Blockbuster Video prepares to declare bankruptcy Empty Re: Blockbuster Video prepares to declare bankruptcy

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:18 pm

They should've stopped charging 5 and a half damn dollars to rent a freaking movie. The Blockbuster right down the street from me closed months ago. It was just a matter of time. I can't imagine anyone not seeing this coming a mile away. Hollywood Video.....you're next.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:44 am

The video place here charges $4-something for a new release, and $2.50 for old ones, and even we haven't rented anything from there for so long because a. they don't have anything we want usually and b. when they do we can't afford to rent more than one or two at a time. It was easier when video stores still had VHS tapes you could rent for a dollar and have it for five days, we'd have our weekends set with a whole pack of movies without blowing a lot of money.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:43 am

I can't believe they made it a year after Red Boxes were out.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:27 pm

There are almost no video stores here anymore. Movie Gallery, Hollywood...all gone. Think there's one Blockbuster left all the way across town. Redbox was setting up all over the place & they kept insisting on charging 5 bucks no matter what. They should have focused on the movies at a competitive price, gotten rid of the posters & that stupid mini concession stand. They really should have seen it coming.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:17 pm

CeCe wrote:There are almost no video stores here anymore. Movie Gallery, Hollywood...all gone. Think there's one Blockbuster left all the way across town. Redbox was setting up all over the place & they kept insisting on charging 5 bucks no matter what. They should have focused on the movies at a competitive price, gotten rid of the posters & that stupid mini concession stand. They really should have seen it coming.

Hollywood was seized by a hostile takeover by Blockbuster and then shut down. The Internet is killing media retail. No more video stores, no more record stores.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:03 pm

RobbieFTW wrote:

Hollywood was seized by a hostile takeover by Blockbuster and then shut down. The Internet is killing media retail. No more video stores, no more record stores.

And what's pissing me off is that these little websites that offer the movies (esp older ones you haven't seen in a while and you get the urge to be nostalgic) to view online want you to pay a fee or become a member of their site or whatever just watch one damn movie. It's the Internet, it's supposed to be free.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:48 pm

RobbieFTW wrote:

It is & I really hate that. The music sections of stores keep shrinking. Record stores are a thing of the past. This may not make sense but I always loved the atmosphere of a record store. I miss it.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:55 pm

CeCe wrote:

It is & I really hate that. The music sections of stores keep shrinking. Record stores are a thing of the past. This may not make sense but I always loved the atmosphere of a record store. I miss it.

Blockbuster Video prepares to declare bankruptcy 35166 Record stores used to be as fun as toy stores when I was a kid. I adored scavenging through the sections; reading back covers and credits. Then coming home and popping the disc in the player and reading the liner notes. Video stores as well. I can remember being about eight or nine, and my mom occasionally treating me to a trip to the video store after school. Netflix, iTunes and Amazon.com don't have 1/10 the same excitement factor. These days it's all about 'on demand,' but that convenience comes at the price of entertainment just not being as fun as it used to.
    JM130ELM
    JM130ELM
    …is Necessary.
    …is Necessary.

Male
    Rep : 32

Post by JM130ELM Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:45 pm

The depleting music retailer is depressing I agree, but honestly I don't miss video stores all that much. Five year old late fees following you, having to get the tape/DVD/VG back by a certain time or it's considered "late", rewinding, fucked up tapes that don't play or get stuck in the VCR, never having certain movies in stock, standing in line. I haven't rented a video in close to a decade.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:27 am

JM, I agree. It is a much different demographic, hunting and finding treasures in music stores than renting a video from the video place.
    AtownPeep
    AtownPeep
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 39

Post by AtownPeep Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:57 am

JM130ELM wrote:The depleting music retailer is depressing I agree, but honestly I don't miss video stores all that much. Five year old late fees following you, having to get the tape/DVD/VG back by a certain time or it's considered "late", rewinding, fucked up tapes that don't play or get stuck in the VCR, never having certain movies in stock, standing in line. I haven't rented a video in close to a decade.

Neither do I. The way I see it, I have cable so why do I need to go to the video store? It will come on HBO or Showtime eventually, I can wait.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 6:01 am