Buying American Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Buying American

Go down 
+6
RobbieFTW
CeCe
stonestatic
Supernova
Alan Smithee
Chris
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

Buying American Empty
PostSubject: Buying American   Buying American EmptyMon Feb 21, 2011 8:24 am

Do you think that it is important to 'Buy American,' and do you seek out American made products over those that are manufactured overseas?
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Alan Smithee
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

Buying American Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buying American   Buying American EmptyMon Feb 21, 2011 9:49 am

If given a choice (in a store), I would try to "Buy American" unless the price difference was cost prohibitive. The problem is trying to find something made in the U.S. that you can take to the cash register. To answer your question, Chris, yes I do think it's important that we support U.S. manufacturing jobs.

http://www.americansworking.com/clothingmens.html

Anyone old enough besides Shale and me to remember these commercials?
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

Buying American Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buying American   Buying American EmptyMon Feb 21, 2011 11:12 am

As much as possible I do. Like Alan said, it would have to still be in a reasonable price range.
Back to top Go down
stonestatic
…is an Up 'N Comer.
…is an Up 'N Comer.
stonestatic

Male
Rep : 24

Buying American Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buying American   Buying American EmptyMon Feb 21, 2011 11:41 am

I buy based on quality. Couldn't care less what country of origin it is from. If American-owned companies want to compete with overseas, then they will build their products with as much precision and benefit as their Japanese or European competitors. My money isn't "patriotic," it's for my own convenience.
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

Buying American Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buying American   Buying American EmptyMon Feb 21, 2011 12:13 pm

If you can actually find something made in the US. It's a long way from what a lot of us grew up with when the US was a leading manufacturer. But the most important thing for me is quality. If the product made in the US is a good quality & fairly priced, I'll buy it over an import. But it's happening a lot less often these days.
Back to top Go down
RobbieFTW
…is Being Fitted For a Crown.
…is Being Fitted For a Crown.
RobbieFTW

Male
Rep : 145

Buying American Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buying American   Buying American EmptyMon Feb 21, 2011 12:20 pm

The problem w/ "Buying American" is that "American" COSTS MORE and ain't as good.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male

Buying American Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buying American   Buying American EmptyMon Feb 21, 2011 12:39 pm

Robbie, I agree that "made in America" sometimes costs more but that's because the companies who still manufacture goods in this country pay their employees a living wage. I disagree, though, that "made in America" is synonymous with “cheap piece of shit”. You're probably too young to remember when "made in Japan" was synonomous with "cheap piece of shit". You have to read the labels. Not everything marketed under an "American" name is an American made product.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

Buying American Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buying American   Buying American EmptyMon Feb 21, 2011 1:29 pm

stonestatic wrote:
I buy based on quality. Couldn't care less what country of origin it is from. If American-owned companies want to compete with overseas, then they will build their products with as much precision and benefit as their Japanese or European competitors. My money isn't "patriotic," it's for my own convenience.

Buying American 35166 . There is a reason why America doesn't export as much as they import. As far as electronics and cars go........NE-VER buy American. However, there a few things that America manufactures that are of good quality. I can't think of any off hand, but I'm sure there are.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

Buying American Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buying American   Buying American EmptyMon Feb 21, 2011 1:36 pm

alan smithee wrote:
Robbie, I agree that "made in America" sometimes costs more but that's because the companies who still manufacture goods in this country pay their employees a living wage. I disagree, though, that "made in America" is synonymous with “cheap piece of shit”. You're probably too young to remember when "made in Japan" was synonomous with "cheap piece of shit". You have to read the labels. Not everything marketed under an "American" name is an American made product.

That's true. Take for example the Big Three. GM, Ford, Chrysler all paid their employees considerably more for working in their plants than Toyota or Honda. However when you really look at it, why do they get paid more? Is it because American uses cheaper and quality inferior products for their vehicles, therefore they have the money to pay them more? I mean, I think there should be room for everybody, but I also think this economy just made people aware of how they need to spend their money wisely. If you're going to spend 20k on a car, I would think you'd want to spend 20k on something that's going to last for 20+ years and for something that you're not going to have to keep putting money into.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male

Buying American Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buying American   Buying American EmptyMon Feb 21, 2011 4:35 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:
alan smithee wrote:

That's true. Take for example the Big Three. GM, Ford, Chrysler all paid their employees considerably more for working in their plants than Toyota or Honda. However when you really look at it, why do they get paid more? Is it because American uses cheaper and quality inferior products for their vehicles, therefore they have the money to pay them more? I mean, I think there should be room for everybody, but I also think this economy just made people aware of how they need to spend their money wisely. If you're going to spend 20k on a car, I would think you'd want to spend 20k on something that's going to last for 20+ years and for something that you're not going to have to keep putting money into.

Maybe there's something to that...I don't know. I think the main reason the U.S. auto industry in particular fell behind Japan was because they got too fat and lazy. I completely agree that if I’m going to pay thousands of my dollars, I’m going to look out for me first too.
Back to top Go down
MandyPerfumeGirl
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
MandyPerfumeGirl

Female
Rep : 26

Buying American Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buying American   Buying American EmptyMon Feb 21, 2011 4:50 pm

I'm for whatever works, whether it be American or not.
Back to top Go down
Marc™
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
Marc™

Male
Rep : 212

Buying American Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buying American   Buying American EmptyMon Feb 21, 2011 7:18 pm

I'll buy American...but not at the expense of quality, adequate customer service or significantly higher prices.
Back to top Go down
Nhaiyel
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Nhaiyel

Female
Rep : 123

Buying American Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buying American   Buying American EmptyMon Feb 21, 2011 9:17 pm

stonestatic wrote:

This.
Back to top Go down
http://www.musicfanclubs.org/aaliyah/
Sponsored content

Buying American Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buying American   Buying American Empty

Back to top Go down

Buying American
Page 1 of 1