CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+9
Shale
Impact
Alan Smithee
Chris
GrayWolf
Supernova
TPP
RedBedroom
RobbieFTW
13 posters

Dead animal in my neighbors yard!!!

RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Dead animal in my neighbors yard!!! Empty Dead animal in my neighbors yard!!!

Post by RobbieFTW Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:15 am

Today was garbage day. Last night when I was taking out the trash i saw something beige looking in my next door neighbors yard scurrying away. We keep our trash cans in our driveway inside the gate next to their fence so i don't know if whatever it was has been trying to get near our trash or was just hanging out in their yard. Freaked me out cuz i didnt know what it was a cat, a squirrel, a racoon, a rat, a possum, a skunk or what. But at least in ran in the opposite direction from me so i got over that. Then this morning as i'm putting the trash cans back in our backyard, on the other side of the fence i see some small dead animal lying in my neighbors yard - right near where we usually set our cans. Didnt get close enough to examine what it was, but it was white and had a tail. i told my mom and she went next door to let them know about it cuz there's no way we can just tolerate dead animals facing the side our house and driveway.

laughing sorry folx i just had to share.

But i DO have a ? in here for you. Besides basic things like stray cats and squirrels has an animal ever got in ur yard???
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Dead animal in my neighbors yard!!! Empty Re: Dead animal in my neighbors yard!!!

Post by RedBedroom Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:28 am

Ugh, yuck. No, no animals around. Not any dead ones any way.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Dead animal in my neighbors yard!!! Empty Re: Dead animal in my neighbors yard!!!

Post by TPP Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:08 am

I found a dead rat in the front yard the day before yesterday. However, that's not surprising because we put poison out for them because they made a nest in my van's engine. I guess that's a common problem with Honda Odysseys.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:14 am

Dead animals? Only the ones our cat kills, bats, birds, mice, she ate the lizards...though one time there was a HUGE road kill possum in the middle of the street.
    GrayWolf
    GrayWolf
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 36

Post by GrayWolf Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:17 am

Every few years I will find a dead squirrel in the swimming pool but that's about it. We don't have a huge wildlife problem around here for the most part. At my job is another story. Employee parking is near the back alley and you never know what kind of vermin might be lurking.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Post by TPP Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:21 am

We kept finding dead crows last summer, and calling the health dept thinking that there was a bird plague or something...

One night, at the beginning of Autumn, my husband came in and said "Honey, I just learned something horrifying..." I was like "WHAT??" thinking something terrible had happened. "I just found our that our neighbor, the one who lives across the alley who I used to think hated me but then I found out that's just how he is, has been shooting crows."

I was not happy about that. Crows are my second favorite animal, but regardless of that, urban wildlife is important to me. I love the animals that have made a go of it in the city. I don't want people shooting them! Now, if they are trying to live in my house or my car, I see the need, though I wouldn't shoot them! But the crows weren't doing anything like that to him, he just hates them!
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:27 am

RobbieFTW wrote:Today was garbage day. Last night when I was taking out the trash i saw something beige looking in my next door neighbors yard scurrying away. We keep our trash cans in our driveway inside the gate next to their fence so i don't know if whatever it was has been trying to get near our trash or was just hanging out in their yard. Freaked me out cuz i didnt know what it was a cat, a squirrel, a racoon, a rat, a possum, a skunk or what. But at least in ran in the opposite direction from me so i got over that. Then this morning as i'm putting the trash cans back in our backyard, on the other side of the fence i see some small dead animal lying in my neighbors yard - right near where we usually set our cans. Didnt get close enough to examine what it was, but it was white and had a tail. i told my mom and she went next door to let them know about it cuz there's no way we can just tolerate dead animals facing the side our house and driveway.

But i DO have a ? in here for you. Besides basic things like stray cats and squirrels has an animal ever got in ur yard???

Whatever it was, your neighbor needs to get it up ASAP before other animals show up and begin feeding on it. That will happen.

Other than my across the street neighbor's outside cat, who for whatever reason likes my backyard, I never found any stray creatures lurking back there.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:09 am

Chris wrote:Whatever it was, your neighbor needs to get it up ASAP before other animals show up and begin feeding on it. That will happen.

True but you always need to be very careful. The animal could have had rabies.
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:55 am

I've seen raccoons on my trash cans before. They easily scare though, so all I had to do was bang on the window or door and they ran.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:58 am

Wildlife in South Florida?

We always see opposum, racoons and sometimes an armadillo run over in the street (plus the usual number of smashed cats and occasional dog) Saw a 4-foot iguana run over not too long ago. They used to be all over the place but the freeze we had last year thinned them out.

Now and then a 30-foot python will show up somewhere and alligators are common to ppl who live next to water.

My daughter had a Serengeti moment a few weeks ago and told me all about it. We have buzzards all over the place down here in the winter (Who'da thot buzzards were snowbirds). She looked out in her backyard and saw a 'possum staggering like it was sick. It fell over and soon a buzzard came to check it out. It was dead and before long half a dozen buzzards were on it and before a couple minutes it was GONE! Shocked

Nature is all around us down here.

Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:00 pm

RobbieFTW wrote:Today was garbage day. Last night when I was taking out the trash i saw something beige looking in my next door neighbors yard scurrying away. We keep our trash cans in our driveway inside the gate next to their fence so i don't know if whatever it was has been trying to get near our trash or was just hanging out in their yard. Freaked me out cuz i didnt know what it was a cat, a squirrel, a racoon, a rat, a possum, a skunk or what. But at least in ran in the opposite direction from me so i got over that. Then this morning as i'm putting the trash cans back in our backyard, on the other side of the fence i see some small dead animal lying in my neighbors yard - right near where we usually set our cans. Didnt get close enough to examine what it was, but it was white and had a tail. i told my mom and she went next door to let them know about it cuz there's no way we can just tolerate dead animals facing the side our house and driveway.

Sounds like a dead possum to me there Robbie. Yes animals have gotten in my yard, Raccoons, Possum, Squirrels, Cats, that is how I ended up now feeding a ferel cat. Since I put up my vinyl fence its harder for the animals to scamper over cause their feet slip on the vinyl. The cat managed to dig a little space under the gate and she slithers under. I also keep my garbage in an outside room so no animals come looking for food in my yard anymore.

I had a squirrel that I trained to come to me when I whistled a few years ago. It was an experiment, there was a squirrel in my yard one day and I threw it bread. Next time I saw it, I started whistling at it and from then on whenever I whistled, she came running and got her piece of bread from me. She would not run away from me while eating the bread but I didn't want to get too friendly with her LOL.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:15 pm

Tony Marino wrote:I had a squirrel that I trained to come to me when I whistled a few years ago. It was an experiment, there was a squirrel in my yard one day and I threw it bread. Next time I saw it, I started whistling at it and from then on whenever I whistled, she came running and got her piece of bread from me. She would not run away from me while eating the bread but I didn't want to get too friendly with her LOL.

Are you sure she didn't have you trained, Tony? Wink
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:34 pm

alan smithee wrote:
    Tony Marino wrote:I had a squirrel that I trained to come to me when I whistled a few years ago. It was an experiment, there was a squirrel in my yard one day and I threw it bread. Next time I saw it, I started whistling at it and from then on whenever I whistled, she came running and got her piece of bread from me. She would not run away from me while eating the bread but I didn't want to get too friendly with her LOL.

Are you sure she didn't have you trained, Tony? Wink

Good point Alan I did go out there every day and give her bread LOL!
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:45 pm

Living in an apartment complex, from time to time I may see some creepy creature lurking around the trees near the parking lot. I keep it moving and try to not make eye contact.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:10 pm

I think nothing is worse than coming face to face with a Possum, I hate rodents and that is one helluva ugly rodent!!
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:10 pm

Nhaiyel wrote:Living in an apartment complex, from time to time I may see some creepy creature lurking around the trees near the parking lot. I keep it moving and try to not make eye contact.

Is he wearing a raincoat?
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:16 pm

Tony Marino wrote:I think nothing is worse than coming face to face with a Possum, I hate rodents and that is one helluva ugly rodent!!
    Not a rodent. Marsupial, same fam as all those Aussie things.

They are quite common here in S. Florida and even here on Miami Beach. Saw one at nite on busy Collins Ave. on an apartment window ledge, between the glass and the burglar bars.

I had a small one come ambling thru an old wood frame house in Miami once. Actually there was a rat hole and I saw a rat run thru the room once, so when I saw the possum I was wondering why that rat was moving so slow. It was a baby 'possum.

When I was a kid I rescued three that were lost from their mom and raised them until they drew blood when they bit me. (Not a very bright animal - biting the hand that fed them) Then they were let loose in the woods.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:12 pm

When I was a teenager and living with my parents, I once saw a small mouse climbing on back porch screen. My mother called me over to the window and asked me if I thought that looked like a mouse....it was. Both of us freaked out cause we don't do rodents here. 2 seconds and it seemingly disappeared. Back then we he had a dog, so we sent him out to investigate and he found it hiding in a plant pot. We threw something on top of it and carried the pot out to the back alley and that was that. All the while mom's was cussing, talking about how THAT was something she wouldn't tolerate.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:17 am

The guy got it up thankfully. Just gross.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:15 pm

Shale wrote:
    Tony Marino wrote:I think nothing is worse than coming face to face with a Possum, I hate rodents and that is one helluva ugly rodent!!
    Not a rodent. Marsupial, same fam as all those Aussie things.

They are quite common here in S. Florida and even here on Miami Beach. Saw one at nite on busy Collins Ave. on an apartment window ledge, between the glass and the burglar bars.

I had a small one come ambling thru an old wood frame house in Miami once. Actually there was a rat hole and I saw a rat run thru the room once, so when I saw the possum I was wondering why that rat was moving so slow. It was a baby 'possum.

When I was a kid I rescued three that were lost from their mom and raised them until they drew blood when they bit me. (Not a very bright animal - biting the hand that fed them) Then they were let loose in the woods.

Dead animal in my neighbors yard!!! 390931
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:51 am

This is one of those threads that makes me glad I live in an apartment! Yuck!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 3:39 am