Kids and chores Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kids and chores

Go down 
+6
MandyPerfumeGirl
Supernova
Shale
Impact
RedBedroom
Chris
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

Kids and chores Empty
PostSubject: Kids and chores   Kids and chores EmptyFri Mar 04, 2011 8:51 am

If you're a parent, what's your policy on your kids having chores? Are there regular things that they must do? I usually get my daughter on the weekends. Her school is closer to her mothers house, so during the school year, she primarily lives with her. During the summer, she's either with me full time, or custody is split down the middle. That being said, when she's here over the weekend, admittedly I don't give her a lot of chores to do, because she's only here for two days and I'm trying to keep the atmosphere light. The summer is another story. However, I still don't have a real set list of chores then. I'll just randomly tell her to clean up, wash the dishes, or take out the trash whenever any of those things need being done. How do you handle this? If you're not a parent, did you have a lot of chores as a child?
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

Kids and chores Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kids and chores   Kids and chores EmptyFri Mar 04, 2011 10:37 am

My son has a few set things. His are emptying the dishwasher and taking the garbage cans out to the street. Other than that, he keeps his room up and knows that on Friday evenings, we do our Friday chores to get things spotless for the weekend.

Now, if you asked him this question, he would tell you I treat him like a maid! He thinks his workload is much heavier than it is.
Back to top Go down
Impact
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Impact

Male
Rep : 75

Kids and chores Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kids and chores   Kids and chores EmptyFri Mar 04, 2011 10:43 am

RedBedroom wrote:
My son has a few set things. His are emptying the dishwasher and taking the garbage cans out to the street. Other than that, he keeps his room up and knows that on Friday evenings, we do our Friday chores to get things spotless for the weekend.

Now, if you asked him this question, he would tell you I treat him like a maid! He thinks his workload is much heavier than it is.

My ten year old is the same way. All she has to do is vacuum primarily and occasionally help dry and put up dishes. If she were to keep things tidy she wouldn't need to make a production out of cleaning, but when she's told to do something she'll act like she was sold to a sweatshop. My six year old is the opposite, she likes to help out because we don't really ask her to much. If she's anything like her sister, that will all change in another year or so I'm betting.
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female

Kids and chores Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kids and chores   Kids and chores EmptyFri Mar 04, 2011 11:05 am

Quote :
she'll act like she was sold to a sweatshop

That made me laugh so hard! I know that oh so well.

This summer when he spent a week with my dad, he actually told my dad that he was enjoying having a vacation from ALL his chores at home. My dad actually suggested to me I was over working him!
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

Kids and chores Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kids and chores   Kids and chores EmptyFri Mar 04, 2011 11:14 am

RedBedroom wrote:
... My dad actually suggested to me I was over working him!
Grampa - just doin' his job. big grin
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female

Kids and chores Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kids and chores   Kids and chores EmptyFri Mar 04, 2011 11:17 am

Yeah, Shale it was easily forgiven!
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

Kids and chores Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kids and chores   Kids and chores EmptyFri Mar 04, 2011 11:28 am

Let's see, when I was 10 I washed the dishes, washed, dried and folded the laundry, did all the dusting, the vacuuming, helped with all the gardening: the planting, the watering, the weeding, the hoeing, the picking, mowed the lawn, helped wash and wax the car, and cleaned half of the bathroom and my brother did the other half, also did the dishes, mowed the lawn and took out the trash.
Back to top Go down
MandyPerfumeGirl
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
MandyPerfumeGirl

Female
Rep : 26

Kids and chores Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kids and chores   Kids and chores EmptyFri Mar 04, 2011 3:38 pm

When I was a child, I rarely had any chores, my Mom just let me be a kid and have fun playing outside instead of burdening me with work after a 7-hour school day. I don't see any problem with this approach - I'm an adult now and learned how to keep up my house and such. You learn it eventually because you have to.
Back to top Go down
Suzi
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Suzi

Female
Rep : 85

Kids and chores Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kids and chores   Kids and chores EmptyFri Mar 04, 2011 4:01 pm

It depends on the ages of the children. As teenagers I expected the kids to do dishes, on the weekends I expected them to help with housework. They thought they were over worked. As teens they discovered working outside the home for pay. Then they were more than willing to work their bottoms off . The 2 girls were 14 and 15 when they thought they were going to sit on the couch all summer with their boyfriends. I was against that, so I told them to get out and find jobs. I actually meant the boys, however they all went job hunting and the girls found the jobs and the boys sat around on someone elses couch all summer. I still expected some work from them, after all when they had to work after dark I was the one who would walk a mile down hill, and back up hill to see them home safely. Our son did the so called boy jobs, taking out the trash keeping his room clean, (cleaner than the girls did theirs) mowing the lawn. The only reason he didn't do dishes was he didn't hit 5 foot until he was 15, I remembered the damn dish water running up my arms and it was a really nasty feeling when I was a kid. By the time he hit 5 foot I had a mechanical dishwasher. By then the human dishwashers had left home. Our son then proceeded to grow 13 inches in one year (complete with stretch marks on his back and legs) and eventually topped out at 6'4".
Back to top Go down
TPP
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
TPP

Female
Rep : 69

Kids and chores Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kids and chores   Kids and chores EmptyFri Mar 04, 2011 6:40 pm

My kids have things that they have to do. They each have a magic erase board in their room and every day I write down the things I want them to do after school on it. They have to get them all checked off before they do the things that THEY want to do. It's things like: Put your shoes in your shoe box, pick up your toys, brush your teeth, sweep your floor...And whatever I happen to need or want them to do that day. Writing it down where they can check it off saves me from having to nag them.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

Kids and chores Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kids and chores   Kids and chores EmptyFri Mar 04, 2011 10:15 pm

Yeah, I had chores when I was kid. I had to vaccum, clean the bathroom, wash the dishes, clean my room, take out the trash, etc. My children will have chores too.
Back to top Go down
Marc™
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
Marc™

Male
Rep : 212

Kids and chores Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kids and chores   Kids and chores EmptyFri Mar 04, 2011 10:59 pm

Taking out the trash is always their job....no question about it. They gotta help bring in the groceries and put the up. Their bedrooms are their responsibility and at least once a week I'd like to be able to see the floor. My daughter is decent about keeping her room clean enough....but my son is a slob. They could wash the dishes more. Now they're old enough to wash their own clothes, but they rarely do.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Kids and chores Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kids and chores   Kids and chores Empty

Back to top Go down

Kids and chores
Page 1 of 1