CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+16
2xy
JM130ELM
tmontyb
RobbieFTW
TPP
CeCe
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
captainbryce
Marc™
Nystyle709
Alan Smithee
Impact
Shale
Forgiveness Man
Tony Marino
Chris
20 posters

Free condom distribution

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Free condom distribution Empty Free condom distribution

Post by Chris Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:21 am

Pope Benedict once stood before a group of reporters and said that condom distribution not only wouldn’t cure the AIDS crisis, it actually makes it worse. These comments reignited a long-simmering debate over the proper place of contraceptives in health and social policy. Do you think that free condom distribution encourages promiscuity and increases health risks, or is it a potentially effective public service?
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Free condom distribution Empty Re: Free condom distribution

Post by Tony Marino Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:43 am

It surely could not hurt.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:48 am

It surely can hurt. It encourages promiscuity with a false sense of security. And given the Church's stance on premarital sex in the first place, I am kind of tired of people acting like he's telling you to go out and have unprotected sex.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:55 am

I teach HIV/AIDS classes at work and part of it is demo on how to put on a condom. We also get the free condoms from the Health Dept. and give them out at the class. Most ppl take a handful. There are also a few places, gay bookstores and such that have a bowl of them by the counter.

Condom use has been shown to prevent spread of sexually transmitted infections. Condoms cost money to buy so poor ppl may not have them readily available, so yes, free condom distribution is a good thing to have.

Ppl are going to have sex - that is a given. Free condoms makes it easier for them to do it safer.

(and Pope - if a condom prevents an unwanted pregnancy ya won't be bitchin' about an abortion)
    blank stare @ you
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:00 am

The Pope is partially right: distributing condoms won't cure the AIDS crisis, and I don't think even the most optimistic promoters of their distribution feel that way. What it WILL do is possibly reduce many health risks and sexually transmitted diseases -AIDS among them, the risk of unwanted pregnancies, etc.

On a personal level, things like these make me want to be less of a Catholic each day. I don't think I've been a devout one for a while, anyway.

To answer the question, no it wouldn't hurt. It could only help. No one who has any idea what they're talking about would believe that available condoms encourages promiscuity. If sex is what they're hellbent on having, then a sizable enough number of people are going to do it whether protection is available or not.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:05 am

^^^^The pope is entirely right actually. Wink
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:37 am

Impact wrote:The Pope is partially right: distributing condoms won't cure the AIDS crisis, and I don't think even the most optimistic promoters of their distribution feel that way. What it WILL do is possibly reduce many health risks and sexually transmitted diseases -AIDS among them, the risk of unwanted pregnancies, etc.

On a personal level, things like these make me want to be less of a Catholic each day. I don't think I've been a devout one for a while, anyway.

To answer the question, no it wouldn't hurt. It could only help. No one who has any idea what they're talking about would believe that available condoms encourages promiscuity. If sex is what they're hellbent on having, then a sizable enough number of people are going to do it whether protection is available or not.

RIGHT ON!
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:09 pm

Chris wrote:Pope Benedict once stood before a group of reporters and said that condom distribution not only wouldn’t cure the AIDS crisis, it actually makes it worse. These comments reignited a long-simmering debate over the proper place of contraceptives in health and social policy. Do you think that free condom distribution encourages promiscuity and increases health risks, or is it a potentially effective public service?

The latter. If you're going to have sex, be safe about it. It's as simple as that. Condoms don't increase health risks. No bodily fluids are exchanged when using a condom.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:25 pm

Unless the condoms have names and #'s on the back of them, I don't see how it encourages promiscuity.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:00 pm

Impact wrote:The Pope is partially right: distributing condoms won't cure the AIDS crisis, and I don't think even the most optimistic promoters of their distribution feel that way. What it WILL do is possibly reduce many health risks and sexually transmitted diseases -AIDS among them, the risk of unwanted pregnancies, etc.

^^What HE said^^ big hugz
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:25 pm

Marc™ wrote:Unless the condoms have names and #'s on the back of them, I don't see how it encourages promiscuity.

OH Fuck! BUSTED!

Free condom distribution Condom10
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:39 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:It surely can hurt. It encourages promiscuity with a false sense of security. And given the Church's stance on premarital sex in the first place, I am kind of tired of people acting like he's telling you to go out and have unprotected sex.

The church is an outdated construction that no longer fits in with this society. It was invented as a form of social control-- we have Google now; the church is obsolete. The Pope's influence has been fading steadily for a while now. Won't be much longer until people just stop listening all together.

Also, false sense of security? How is 99% protective false security? And how do free condoms promote promiscuity? The last time I got free condoms, I believe I used... one. ONE. I don't even know where the other ones are.

Free condoms are GREAT. Those things are normally quite expensive.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:02 pm

Anytime we can reduce pregnancy & the spread of disease it's a good thing. We can wave flags & books & anything else within reach but the truth is people are going to have sex. We are physical sexual beings. It is absurd to claim that the distribution of condoms will promote promiscuity. More people will not engage in sexual activity because they have a handful of condoms but fewer will experience the incidence of unwanted pregnancy & potentially abortion, STD's that need antibiotics & those that can kill you. I seriously f'n fail to see the bad in that. My main concern if there's one to be had is that people will actually use them.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:23 pm

Rockbird wrote:
    Forgiveness Man wrote:It surely can hurt. It encourages promiscuity with a false sense of security. And given the Church's stance on premarital sex in the first place, I am kind of tired of people acting like he's telling you to go out and have unprotected sex.

The church is an outdated construction that no longer fits in with this society. It was invented as a form of social control-- we have Google now; the church is obsolete. The Pope's influence has been fading steadily for a while now. Won't be much longer until people just stop listening all together.

Also, false sense of security? How is 99% protective false security? And how do free condoms promote promiscuity? The last time I got free condoms, I believe I used... one. ONE. I don't even know where the other ones are.

Free condoms are GREAT. Those things are normally quite expensive.

Truth never becomes outdated. People just become comfortable in whatever the modern delusion was. People've been calling the church outdated since it started and it's outlived all of them and their whacko ideas of the age. The "your values are outdated" crap is becoming funny because of how mindlessly it's regurgitated these days. lol

The Pope's "influence" isn't his purpose. People have been predicting the demise of the Church for ages. They are more comfortable believing that it'll soon fade away because it helps avoid the truth that it isn't going anywhere. It IS funny how non-Catholics are so defense against what the Pope says. For a guy who's fading, he certainly ruffles feathers like no other. The pope ain't going nowhere and the world knows it.

Condoms are less effective than they're made out to be, hence why we got such widespread condoms despite having condoms more available than chocolate candy. And as you said, just cause people get free condoms don't mean they will use them anyway. People have a habit of forgetting about them even when they DO have them.

Hence why the pope is right at the end of the day. Giving out free condoms just makes the problem worse. Yet, people are so offended by this as if somebody is taking their condoms away. If you wanna use condoms, you're free to. It's probably in society's best interest that these people use them all the time. Wink
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Post by TPP Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:06 pm

I have a friend with 2 yo twins and a 6 mo daughter, who is in a new relationship. She called me the other day and told me that she ran out of bc pills and DSHS was out of condoms because some guy with a garbage bag came and took them all. So she and her new boyfriend were just hoping she wouldn't get pregnant.

Now, in this regard, she's a freaking idiot and I wanted to shake her. Knowing that wouldn't do any good, I offered her some condoms that we had here.

In her case, free condoms might have prevented an unwanted pregnancy.

I can't believe that she is the ONLY one out there like that...
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:11 pm

^^^^Or holding off having sex until she got condoms would've done the same too. Wink You don't have unprotected sex and cop a "woe is me" attitude because somebody hasn't given you FREE condoms. (Who exactly is supposed to pay for these things, tax payers? Certainly the condom companies aren't going to just manufacture them for free and I honestly don't want tax payers dollars going to a helmet so people can have a good time without consequences. Nothing is free. SOMEBODY is paying for it.)

Free condoms are like one of those little dot band aids for a big nasty cut. It's not useless but it's not getting at the heart of the problem. I honestly think if you can't even afford condoms, you can't afford sex.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by TPP Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:23 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:^^^^Or holding off having sex until she got condoms would've done the same too. Wink You don't have unprotected sex and cop a "woe is me" attitude because somebody hasn't given you FREE condoms. (Who exactly is supposed to pay for these things, tax payers? Certainly the condom companies aren't going to just manufacture them for free and I honestly don't want tax payers dollars going to a helmet so people can have a good time without consequences. Nothing is free. SOMEBODY is paying for it.)

Free condoms are like one of those little dot band aids for a big nasty cut. It's not useless but it's not getting at the heart of the problem. I honestly think if you can't even afford condoms, you can't afford sex.

I totally understand what you are saying and I agree. There's no effing way that I would do what she's doing. On SO many levels.

At the same time, guess who's going to pay for her to have the baby that she ends up with if she gets pregnant? I think condoms are MUCH cheaper than another pregnancy, another childbirth, another child to insure, more WIC and food stamps...
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:24 pm

^^^^Maybe so, but it'd be smarter to just have these people refrain from careless sex to begin with. It's not our job to enable people's bad habits. People have to learn responsibility.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by TPP Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:26 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:^^^^Maybe so, but it'd be smarter to just have these people refrain from careless sex to begin with. It's not our job to enable people's bad habits. People have to learn responsibility.

In a perfect world, I'd agree. I just don't see that happening.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:53 pm

thepossiblepolice wrote:In a perfect world, I'd agree. I just don't see that happening.

Well we can't let the lack of a perfect world basically reward and aid irresponsibility. If somebody wants condoms, they should go and buy them, or just exercise a little bit of self control if they can't. We may not live in a perfect world but we'll only make it worse by building up irresponsibility.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:44 am

The pope aint interested in seeing AIDS cured. Thats why he's against condoms being handed out cuz he KNOWS they save lives and he would rather "heathens" who dare to have sex outside his def. of how it should happen just perish.
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 37

Post by tmontyb Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:16 am

co-signs

The ignorance and hypocrisy of the church is astounding and purely mind boggling.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:20 am

RobbieFTW wrote:The pope aint interested in seeing AIDS cured. Thats why he's against condoms being handed out cuz he KNOWS they save lives and he would rather "heathens" who dare to have sex outside his def. of how it should happen just perish.

Oh please. That's crap and we all know it. The Pope just realizes that STDs ain't going to be cured by condoms. He sees that they're just some big comfort cushion for those who want to be promiscuous. But the protection is largely mental, and he sees that. So he realizes that the only way to cure STD's is by not being promiscuous. It's a choice, your fun or your STD. Razz I'm sure it's easier to vilify the pope rather than confront the reality. People like vilifying the pope cause it gives them somebody to blame.
    JM130ELM
    JM130ELM
    …is Necessary.
    …is Necessary.

Male
    Rep : 32

Post by JM130ELM Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:50 am

By in large the Catholic church has proven time and time again that their supposed spiritual leaders are the last people who should be weighing in on anything that has to do with sex and or sexuality for the whole of society. Too many of them can't even live up to their own rules and philosophies on the matter. The very nature of their structure (with regards to their priest and nuns) is an affront as to the very nature of being human. So from the perverted stance that they have, how can they even begin to understand that which they do not know? They are nothing more than power hungry perverts who play at being God.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:59 am

^^^^^Priests have lower sexual abuse rates than most professions. Most spiritual leaders of the Church actually do follow their rules.

I'd say those against the church are the ones affronting the nature of the human being. The Church is the one complementing it. Wink

And as for power hungry perverts, I think those outside the Church clearly fall under this more so than the Church.

Again, I think it's funny how non-Catholics like to vilify a religion they are not part of and who has no power over them. I don't care what Billy Graham teaches. I don't bother to fret over the teachings of Pat Robinson. So why the hate for a man people don't follow? I do have some theories as to why this need to vilify the Church is so strong. Wink

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 3:27 pm