CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+7
Shale
Alan Smithee
Nystyle709
Impact
DanaShelbyChancey
CeCe
Marc™
11 posters

How Much Car Maintenance Do You Perform on Your Vehicle Yourself?

Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

How Much Car Maintenance Do You Perform on Your Vehicle Yourself? Empty How Much Car Maintenance Do You Perform on Your Vehicle Yourself?

Post by Marc™ Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:09 pm

Is there anything you can or have fixed yourself as far as your car is concerned? All I can do is change a tire and put on the wiper blades....everything else has gotta be handled by a pro.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

How Much Car Maintenance Do You Perform on Your Vehicle Yourself? Empty Re: How Much Car Maintenance Do You Perform on Your Vehicle Yourself?

Post by CeCe Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:25 pm

Noooo. I'm not mechanically inclined at all.
    DanaShelbyChancey
    DanaShelbyChancey
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Female
    Rep : 10

How Much Car Maintenance Do You Perform on Your Vehicle Yourself? Empty Re: How Much Car Maintenance Do You Perform on Your Vehicle Yourself?

Post by DanaShelbyChancey Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:44 pm

Absolutely nothing! I drove around for 2 weeks with no wiper fluid, and a streaky windshield. Then I went to Jiffy Lube.

I can check tire pressure, and inflate tires, but I don't like it.
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:47 pm

When I was driving a used car, I learned how to do a lot of repair work on it. I changed the breaks, did my own oil and fluids, changed the air filter, painted it and so on. When I bought a new car, I stopped doing most of that (still check my tire pressure) and just take it in to be serviced.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:50 pm

I can change the oil, but I don't do it. I can change a flat tire, fix the rearview and sideview mirrors and that's about it. I pretty know most of the basics about the mechanics of a car but I won't attempt to do any major repairs. I'll let it get serviced.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:57 pm

I can chage the oil and filter, a tire and jump a dead battery.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:05 pm

I don't have a car, just a bicycle, which I take to the bike shop to get any work on.
    Timetrvlr
    Timetrvlr
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 32

Post by Timetrvlr Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:17 pm

Years go I did most of the maintenance and repairs myself. Now I take my Honda in for regular service and do very little myself.

Auto repair today requires some very high-tech equipment, not really feasible for a home mechanic unless it's an expensive hobby. We should all do more routine maintenance such as checking the oil and fluid levels and checking tire pressures but I don't and I refuse to feel guilty about it.
    blushing

Last edited by Timetrvlr on Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:20 pm

Seriously, Shale, I'm a little envious that you can commute on two wheels under your own power. It would be about a 30 mile round trip for me which I'm confident I could do it 5 days a week but it's bad enough I have to share the road with some of these morons when I'm in a car. I don't think I'd last long on a bike.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:42 pm

alan smithee wrote:... it's bad enough I have to share the road with some of these morons when I'm in a car. I don't think I'd last long on a bike.
    Yeah, forget running with the bulls in Pamplona. I run with the SUV's in Miami.

(With more power and less intelligence than the bovines)
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:51 pm

Timetrvlr wrote:Years go I did most of the maintenance and repairs myself. Now I take my Honda in for regular service and do very little myself. Auto repair today requires some very high-tech equipment, not really feasible for a home mechanic unless it's an expensive hobby. ...
    When I was young and got my first car, a 57 Chevy 6 banger, I took the engine apart and put it back together and it ran. (closest thing a guy can come to giving birth to see your engine spread out on a bench in parts and by the end of the day have it pulling you in a car) Things were more mechanical back then, very little electrical (windshield wipers ran on vacuum - fuel pump ran off the cam shaft).

Now, I look under the hood and don't even know what the stuff is I'm looking at. Makes me feel sort of ... well Jurassik.
    blank stare @ you
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:18 am

i dont do any car maintenance at all!!
    Kral
    Kral
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 30

Post by Kral Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:35 am

All I can do is pump my gas and sometimes pump air into one of the tires if they're low.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:44 am

Not much. I can change a flat, and I check my oil; that's about it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 6:36 am