CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

5 posters

People who blame movies for things

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

People who blame movies for things Empty People who blame movies for things

Post by Supernova Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:45 am

I have never gotten people like this. I know I could NOT believe it when it was decided we now need to rate and rerate movies that have people smoking in them. WHY? You know, you only have to be 18 to smoke but 21 to drink, so should we give movies an X rating when somebody's having a beer?

I hate all those mamby pamby parents 'oh boo hoo, the movie has more influence than we do, our kids will get the idea to smoke if they see it in a movie', uh huh, and I'm sure these parents NEVER let their kids watch anything that isn't G-rated, right? They'd be seeing the same movies anyway so what sense is there in rating by if there's smoking in it? Guess what? I grew up my whole life watching people smoke on TV and in real life, and I never did and was never tempted, why? because my parents told me about what happens when you smoke, that you get diseases and eventually die.

And it's like a couple years ago when Beverly Hills Chihuahau (shut up) came out...people were bitching 'THIS movie is going to cause more unwanted pets, like 101 Dalmatians did back in the 60s', Right, I'm so sure the movie put a gun to the parents' heads and made them take their kids to it in the first place and the movie still had a gun on the parents' heads when their kids said they wanted dogs like in the movies, right? Where in the hell do people get these ideas?
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

People who blame movies for things Empty Re: People who blame movies for things

Post by Marc™ Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:31 am

Their fault for having such paper thin parenting skills that they have to be paranoid that a movie will warp their kids.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:16 am

They do it because it gives them an excuse to avoid personal responsibility. They're also full of it. If a person is so weak that they will emulate something they see in a movie, video game or hear in a song, they have bigger issues that ratings won't fix.
    DanaShelbyChancey
    DanaShelbyChancey
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Female
    Rep : 10

Post by DanaShelbyChancey Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:46 am

I am an example disproving the theory that movies will make people do what they see in the movie.

I am a movie buff from childhood up, and have seen more movies than most people. Yet I am one of the least violent people you will ever meet. That is anecdotal but as much so as the main theory.

The thing I am concerned about are movies like Jackass, that stupid kids will do what they see. But only stupid kids would, and they would have done something anyway.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:48 am

DanaShelbyChancey wrote:I am an example disproving the theory that movies will make people do what they see in the movie.

I am a movie buff from childhood up, and have seen more movies than most people. Yet I am one of the least violent people you will ever meet. That is anecdotal but as much so as the main theory.

The thing I am concerned about are movies like Jackass, that stupid kids will do what they see. But only stupid kids would, and they would have done something anyway.

co-signs
    It's diversionary parenting, IMO. I don't doubt the media's influence over kids, but if a kid is so susceptible to mimicking something that is overtly destructive, then his parents are the ones who need to be held accountable; not the film or filmmaker.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 12:28 am