CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+2
Alan Smithee
Chris
6 posters

Villains or heros

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Villains or heros Empty Villains or heros

Post by Chris Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:54 am

In film, television, books, etc., etc., do you tend to root for the villain or the hero?
    If you're a writer, which do you prefer to write?
    If you were an actor, which role would you want?
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Villains or heros Empty Re: Villains or heros

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:49 pm

I think many actors relish playing “the bad guy”. Or girl. I once read that Larry Hagman (J.R. Ewing on Dallas) loved it when people would (mock) boo him when he walked into a restaurant. Do I root for them? It depends on from what point of view I can see the character from. There was a show on a few years ago called The Shield. Michael Chiklis (The Commish) reinvented himself as Det. Vic Mackey. About the only thing that separated him from the people he put in handcuffs was his badge. Still, many fans wanted him to get away with it. Same thing with Tony Soprano.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Post by TPP Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:54 pm

There are times when the hero is sort of an anti-hero and I want them to get away with it. Like the main character on Mad Men, I want him to get away with his affairs...Or in "The Town" I wanted Ben Affleck's character to get the girl and pull off the bank robbery.

I usually support the hero, but if it's written in such a way that the author wants me to support the villain then I usually do.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:20 pm

It depends, there are times when I think we're deliberately supposed to like the villain because we know they're not going to win, like the Kurgan in Highlander, he was a funny bastard, or the Joker in Batman, it's like we're still going to have this hero but there'll be another villain so might as well make the most of the one we currently have.

In movies like Bonnie and Clyde we know by all reasoning they're the bad guys, they're the outlaws, they're robbing banks and they're killing people, but they're also the ones we want to see get away and make it out alive, not the unimportant lawmen whose names nobody even remembers.

Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:30 pm

I don't usually like the murderous, black-hearted villain types who are marked for inevitable death because they're too one note. I prefer the dark, retaliatory character who is more cynical/sarcastic and does nefarious things out of gluttony or because they feel they have been wronged, but aren't completely totally evil.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:02 am

If I were an actor, I would probably want to play the villain. But when it comes to reading or viewing fiction, I prefer a villain who is more 'gray' than totally dark.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 7:38 pm