CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+17
2xy
Forgiveness Man
Nhaiyel
femme fatale
gingersnaps
DanaShelbyChancey
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
TSJFan4Ever
Cheaps
Jason B.
Nystyle709
CeCe
Shale
TPP
Tony Marino
Alan Smithee
RedBedroom
21 posters

Thoughts on a person using a coupon while on a first date?

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Thoughts on a person using a coupon while on a first date?  Empty Thoughts on a person using a coupon while on a first date?

Post by RedBedroom Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:52 pm

What would you think of being on a first date and the person along with you brings out a coupon to help with the bill?

It wouldn't bother me a bit.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Thoughts on a person using a coupon while on a first date?  Empty Re: Thoughts on a person using a coupon while on a first date?

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:23 pm

Mmmm, first date? Might seem a little tacky to me but as a member of the gender that typically (not always) picks up the check for first dates, I applaud your open mindedness, Red!
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Thoughts on a person using a coupon while on a first date?  Empty Re: Thoughts on a person using a coupon while on a first date?

Post by Tony Marino Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:25 pm

With a price of a meal out there these days, a coupon would certainly not bother me.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Post by TPP Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:35 pm

I would think that they were practical and that they were not too worried about "putting on airs".
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:05 pm

alan smithee wrote:Mmmm, first date? Might seem a little tacky to me but as a member of the gender that typically (not always) picks up the check for first dates, I applaud your open mindedness, Red!

You just don't hang in the right circles.

I don't go on dates, but I was actually picked up by a guy who took me to dinner. Of course he sprang for the whole meal without use of coupons, but I wouldn't have minded. Same food.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:05 pm

^^I agree. Food is food. Wouldn't bother me at all.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:12 pm

Nope. I can dig it. I'd prob. be jealous if they had one and I didn't.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:16 pm

I wouldn't do it. The first date is like an "interview", where the other person is judging you down to your shoes. We would need to have had a few dates before I showed them what a penny pincher I am.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:28 am

i dont think it would bother me
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:25 am

A coupon wouldn't bother me. I'd ask him what school he was supporting when he got the coupon book - lol! All the schools where I live sell entertainment books.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:25 am

If this is a first date, why are you at a place that accepts coupons? Razz

But no, it wouldn't bother me.
    DanaShelbyChancey
    DanaShelbyChancey
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Female
    Rep : 10

Post by DanaShelbyChancey Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:50 am

I wouldn't care if a coupon was used on a first date. If I were still dating.

When I was in my 20's I had a long term boyfriend who would not go anywhere to eat unless he had a coupon. Yes that eliminated most places.

We went to Ponderosa a lot, and I scoured papers and flyers for coupons, for some variety.
    gingersnaps
    gingersnaps
    …is Necessary.
    …is Necessary.

Female
    Rep : 4

Post by gingersnaps Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:15 am

I could care less if they had a coupon. Sometimes could get a good deal with them.
    femme fatale
    femme fatale
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 46

Post by femme fatale Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:18 am

If we've been dating for a while then I wouldn't care, but if I'm out with a guy on a first date and he takes me to a pricey restaurant and pulls out a coupon, then honestly that wouldn't work in his favor as far as impressing me goes.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:57 am

We've already had a thread on the use of coupons and gift cards (in genaral I thought). I've already stated my opinion that I'm fine with either but with the presumption that it's my wife and I. So let's add gift cards to the mix. Someone invites you out to dinner on your first date. The bill comes and they reach in their wallet and instead of cash or a credit card they pull out a gift card. That someone else probably gave to them. No problems with that? Not even a fleeting thought that, "Gee, they sure think I'm special...asking me out and getting someone else to pay for it."? How about if they whip out the gift card and a coupon? I'm not saying the use of either should be a deal breaker on whether or not you'd say yes to a second date. I just don't think it's very classy on a first date.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:29 am

alan smithee wrote:... I just don't think it's very classy on a first date.
    I really missed out on one of those cultural touchstones called "dating." As I've said before I don't recall ever going on a date - which I have read is a social function of sizing up a potential mate.

In the free-luv days we just hung out and got together if we were turned on by someone - even if it was just for a one-time sex thing. So, I don't know from classy, nor do I know the protocols of dating. Closest thing to a date would be me springing for the pastry and coffee in a coffee house on Decatur street, maybe buy a lid of grass for a walk along the levee.

Nobody really cared how you scored - you just got what you wanted (or at least what you needed).

So, I am really out of my element talking about the propriety of using coupons or gift cards on a first date.
    blank stare @ you
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:01 am

alan smithee wrote:We've already had a thread on the use of coupons and gift cards (in genaral I thought). I've already stated my opinion that I'm fine with either but with the presumption that it's my wife and I. So let's add gift cards to the mix. Someone invites you out to dinner on your first date. The bill comes and they reach in their wallet and instead of cash or a credit card they pull out a gift card. That someone else probably gave to them. No problems with that? Not even a fleeting thought that, "Gee, they sure think I'm special...asking me out and getting someone else to pay for it."? How about if they whip out the gift card and a coupon? I'm not saying the use of either should be a deal breaker on whether or not you'd say yes to a second date. I just don't think it's very classy on a first date.

co-signs
    I have nothing against coupons, gift cards and smart spending…but no, not on a first date. What is economical can easily get mistaken for cheap when the two people are sitting there formally evaluating each other's behavior that first time out.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:07 pm

I'd see them as honest and frugal.
    2xy
    2xy
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 22

Post by 2xy Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:I'd see them as honest and frugal.

Me, too.

Maybe I'm a weirdo, but I like a person to be who he really is when I go out with him. Why would I want someone to play games and act fake? And really....if the guy is a great person and I judge him because he used a coupon, that says more about ME than it says about HIM. Can anyone say "shallow"....?

FWIW, I think it's stupid to pay full price for something when a legitimate discount is available. Why do we applaud our girlfriends for finding a sweet pair of shoes "on sale," but bust on a guy for trying to save a buck?
    sailorlover
    sailorlover
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 2

Post by sailorlover Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:44 pm

TSJFan4Ever wrote:A coupon wouldn't bother me. I'd ask him what school he was supporting when he got the coupon book - lol! All the schools where I live sell entertainment books.

Most defiantly!
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:16 pm

alan smithee wrote:We've already had a thread on the use of coupons and gift cards (in general I thought). I've already stated my opinion that I'm fine with either but with the presumption that it's my wife and I. So let's add gift cards to the mix. Someone invites you out to dinner on your first date. The bill comes and they reach in their wallet and instead of cash or a credit card they pull out a gift card. That someone else probably gave to them. No problems with that? Not even a fleeting thought that, "Gee, they sure think I'm special...asking me out and getting someone else to pay for it."? How about if they whip out the gift card and a coupon? I'm not saying the use of either should be a deal breaker on whether or not you'd say yes to a second date. I just don't think it's very classy on a first date.

That is a good twist to the original question. I have to be honest. As cool as I would be with a coupon, I might be slightly irked by a gift card. A coupon says, "I come here but only with a good deal" and a gift card says, "I come here but only on someone else's dime."
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:22 pm

RedBedroom wrote:... and a gift card says, "I come here but only on someone else's dime."

Not just that. To me it says, "I'm buying you dinner on someone else's dime."
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:30 pm

Yeah right, Alan...and it says, "The next meal may come with a toy in the bag."
    ladysaraii
    ladysaraii
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Female
    Rep : 2

Post by ladysaraii Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:58 pm

I have to say, first date, I don't think a coupon is a great idea. I wouldn't have a huge probalem with it, but I would file it away.

After that, I'm cool with the use of coupons.

If money was an issue, I'd rather just doing something cheaper
    2xy
    2xy
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 22

Post by 2xy Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:05 am

alan smithee wrote:
    RedBedroom wrote:... and a gift card says, "I come here but only on someone else's dime."

Not just that. To me it says, "I'm buying you dinner on someone else's dime."

See, to me it says "I received a $50 gift from someone and I'm giving it to you."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 1:20 pm