CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
Forgiveness Man
CeCe
Chris
RobbieFTW
Supernova
Alan Smithee
10 posters

Should there be a legal obligation for adult children to care for their parents?

Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Should there be a legal obligation for adult children to care for their parents? Empty Should there be a legal obligation for adult children to care for their parents?

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:03 pm

It's almost universal that parents must care for their underage children. Should there be a legal obligation to take care of your elderly parents when they can no longer fend for themselves or would it just serve to further widen the gap between the rich and not so rich?
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Should there be a legal obligation for adult children to care for their parents? Empty Re: Should there be a legal obligation for adult children to care for their parents?

Post by Supernova Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:24 pm

I don't think it should be because there are a lot of old people who the kids just cannot take care of them anymore, if they're mean, they're violent, they need 24/7 care, that would be the time I think to put them in a nursing home or something.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Should there be a legal obligation for adult children to care for their parents? Empty Re: Should there be a legal obligation for adult children to care for their parents?

Post by RobbieFTW Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:40 pm

Before someone reaches elderly stage they should start making arrangements for their care later on in life and if that includes willing adult children then that's fine but I dont think there should be any OBLIGATION for it legally. The elderly are still adults and have to bear some of their own responsibility for survival if their of sound mind.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:34 am

I agree with Robbie. It's an adults responsibility to prepare for their retirement and elderhood years. Of course, this can include children who're willing to step up and be responsible for their aging parents, once they reach a certain point of being less and less capable of fending for themselves; but until the law demotes people of a certain advanced aged from adult status, I can't agree with imposing legal responsibility onto their kids.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:40 am

bump
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:53 am

Moral, yes. Legal, no.

ETA: although if the parents were not loving or caring or abusive people I think the childs obligation ends. I didn't take care of mine & have no guilt about that.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:18 am

Ooh...Chris bumped me!
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:22 am

Moral one maybe, but not legal. Little children cannot care for themselves. Adults can arrange for care in their older age.

I think a child should care for their parents in old age if their parents were good to them. But not all parents are. Razz
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:35 am

I agree with FM. If your parent didn't care for you, why should you care for them.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:38 am

Rockbird wrote:I agree with FM.
    We got a big cold front coming people.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:41 am

I just saw some bacon go flying past my window.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:12 pm

Nah. If you know you got shiftless children, I'd suggest you make the necessary arrangements and not depend on them. LOL, this reminds me of a conversation I had with my aunt. She's funny as hell....she already proclaimed that she was going to check herself into a home when she gets old. Her kids are full of shit, lol.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:52 pm

It should never be a legal obligation.

If it was, my son's paternal grandmother would have stopped her tricks years ago, knowing she would be taken care of (further) by us in her old age.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:02 pm

When people treat you well & are kind & decent it makes you want to help them out in any way you can. But when they treat you like shit it doesn't really encourage you to do anything for them at all.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:09 pm

If you sucked as a parent, I say you deserve to be "wrapped in newspapers and tossed in a garbage can." Smile
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:55 pm

I don't think it should be a legal obligation, esp. if people had horrible childhoods because of their parents and then what about kids in government care? Should they be forced to take care of parents who were the reason or part of the reason they ended up being taken away? If adult children want to care for their parents, they should be allowed but they shouldn't be forced to.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:34 pm