CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

5 posters

What is the appeal of reading something like this?

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

What is the appeal of reading something like this? Empty What is the appeal of reading something like this?

Post by Supernova Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:18 pm

The other night I brought this up on a book board, posing this question, and so far I haven't encountered anybody who would want to read this book:

Upon looking into a site for book trailers, I came across this one, did not even bother seeing the trailer for it, they had this summary underneath it for, I'm guessing a new book, called All That Glitters:

Santee Mitchell seems to keep coming up short in life. At least that's how it seems in her mind. Growing up she constantly played second best to her older sister Sonya, and in adulthood, the patterned painfully continues. She’s stuck with a two-timing, drug-dealing boyfriend, while her sister lucked up and hooked a professional ball player. Her money is always running short, when it ran at all. The last straw comes in the form of an eviction notice coupled with an ill-timed pregnancy. Determined to turn her luck around, as well as put some money in the bank, Santee turns to her friend Monique and is immediately hypnotized by the sparkle of her diamond encrusted world. But what she doesn’t realize is that help from Monique comes with a price. A price that not even Santee is willing to pay. Haunted by a fire that still burns for her ex and driven by a wanton lust for a trick turned savior, Santee’s plan starts to unravel and it may be too late to right her wrongs when Monique turns up dead and she is fingered for the gruesome crime; revealing a secret that changes her forever and forcing her to look for answers in the one place she's tried to avoid - inside herself.

Okay, so we can gather from this, probably very well at that, that it opens up as a very depressing story, and will remain depressing until little miss poor me realizes her self worth or whatever...and let me guess, upon its initial hardback release the price sticker probably reads about $22, why would I want to pay that much money for a depressing story, especially since it's not so original and there are probably about a thousand similar depressing stories coming out at the same time in the recent years? Am I alone on this or what?
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

What is the appeal of reading something like this? Empty Re: What is the appeal of reading something like this?

Post by TPP Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:49 pm

lol, that does not look like a fun read for sure!
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

What is the appeal of reading something like this? Empty Re: What is the appeal of reading something like this?

Post by Supernova Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:59 pm

Indeed it does not...I'm sorry, but I think I have better things to do than to indulge in that kind of crap for 300 or 400 pages.

And I don't get why books like this are so popular, a LOT of the ones I see coming out are all about this, poor so and so has had such a tough life and it never gets any easier, does she have it in herself to rise above it? blah blah blah.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:59 pm

I don't read a lot of fiction, but would read something like that.

I think the appeal is, hey, here is someone worse off than me, yet finds a way to rise above it, hopefully. Plus, I find the dynamic of how people deal with those close to them who have a lot more in life interesting.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:15 am

Yeah except we know going into it that most likely, probably 3/4 of the book are going to deal with the poor-me phase before she finally grows a pair and takes control of her life. In my opinion we already have too many real people to see how worse off they are than ourselves, and maybe at the end they'll rise above it and maybe not, but I personally have too many 'worse off' people in my life to deliberately go looking to read about more.

And sure, I've read about people who are worse off than myself, John Rambo, Norman Bates, Marion Crane, Tony Montana, Carrie White, and then there are real cases like Franchine 'Burning Bed' Hughes, Anne Frank, Joan of Arc, Corrie ten Boom, but I find all of that a bit different than these run-of-the-mill maybe great-for-Lifetime-TV-movies kinds of stories. It seems that all these writers are scared to death to open up the story with a woman in control of her own life, like NOBODY wants that, nobody wants a top dog, they want a beaten dog that in time becomes the alpha dog, but I for one am sick and tired of it.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:19 am

Super, in all honesty, when I take the time to read fiction, I don't set the bar high. Most are works I bought used. At the library, I never go for fiction, and so I rarely read fiction to get bored of any genre. I have a pretty neat fiction book that I have been reading since before LAST Christmas.

And since I enjoy the under dog I don't think I would mind this book but can see how others might.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:20 am

I'd get it from the library, if I wanted to read it - certainly not a book I'd pay for but ITA that it's going to be 3/4's poor me and then the last bit about her finding herself and her inner strength. From the sounds of it, it's a book I'd return to the shelf.
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Thu May 05, 2011 12:10 am

That sort of plot doesn't interest me too much, but to each his own. Different people are interested in different plots.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 11:31 am