Another round of 'did your school do this?' Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Another round of 'did your school do this?'

Go down 
+4
Chris
Nystyle709
RedBedroom
Supernova
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

Another round of 'did your school do this?' Empty
PostSubject: Another round of 'did your school do this?'   Another round of 'did your school do this?' EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 3:57 pm

You certainly learn something new everyday, and on an outing to the library with two of my neighbor kids, I learned something new about our local school system. The 6th grader explained to me that in reading, if you miss five words, you're not getting it and you need to give up trying to read the book. I'm almost sure I don't need to ask because I wouldn't think anybody else would be brought up in such an idiotic enviornment for education, but did anybody else have teachers with this ideal in school? Give up if you miss 5 words? Aside from giving up, what the hell is that supposed to teach the kid?
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: Another round of 'did your school do this?'   Another round of 'did your school do this?' EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 10:05 pm

That is absolutely insane.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female

PostSubject: Re: Another round of 'did your school do this?'   Another round of 'did your school do this?' EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 10:33 pm

Indeeeeeeed, it's no wonder the poor kid can't move up from the 2nd grade reading level with them knocking him back every time he misses a few words.
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: Another round of 'did your school do this?'   Another round of 'did your school do this?' EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 10:49 pm

My son is gone until tomorrow morning, but I am so anxious to ask him how his teacher handles missed words. He is in sixth too. I am SURE it is not like that, of course, but this now has me curious.

Isn't that what reading is all about? Learning new words and using context clues to figure out the meaning?
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female

PostSubject: Re: Another round of 'did your school do this?'   Another round of 'did your school do this?' EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 1:17 am

That's certainly what I thought, because when I was in school there was no option of give up or don't get it, you HAD to learn it and you HAD to get the curriculum. And here's what I was thinking of, there are millions of words in the English language, most of which are above a 2nd or even 6th grade level, how is crippling this kid's known vocabulary to a strictly elementary school level going to help him when he's grown up and out in the real world where you don't have the option to comfortably give up when something is too hard?
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Another round of 'did your school do this?'   Another round of 'did your school do this?' EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 4:26 am

Nope. Never happened when I was in school.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

PostSubject: Re: Another round of 'did your school do this?'   Another round of 'did your school do this?' EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 9:14 am

Supernova wrote:
You certainly learn something new everyday, and on an outing to the library with two of my neighbor kids, I learned something new about our local school system. The 6th grader explained to me that in reading, if you miss five words, you're not getting it and you need to give up trying to read the book. I'm almost sure I don't need to ask because I wouldn't think anybody else would be brought up in such an idiotic enviornment for education, but did anybody else have teachers with this ideal in school? Give up if you miss 5 words? Aside from giving up, what the hell is that supposed to teach the kid?

Five words? I don't agree with that at all.
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Impact
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Impact

Male
Rep : 75

PostSubject: Re: Another round of 'did your school do this?'   Another round of 'did your school do this?' EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 11:45 am

I don't follow. If you're reading it, how are you missing any words?
Back to top Go down
TSJFan4Ever
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
TSJFan4Ever

Female
Rep : 78

PostSubject: Re: Another round of 'did your school do this?'   Another round of 'did your school do this?' EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 8:29 pm

I'm not sure this kid has it totally right. I'd like to talk to the teacher and find out the whole story. I know that when it comes to testing reading ability, if there are more than half a dozen words on a page that the kid doesn't know, can't read, etc, we drop down a level and try testing them one level lower. Maybe this kid got confused. I've NEVER heard of anything like this in any of the schools I've ever been at and there are a lot of them.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female

PostSubject: Re: Another round of 'did your school do this?'   Another round of 'did your school do this?' EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 8:50 pm

Impact wrote:
I don't follow. If you're reading it, how are you missing any words?

Like if you don't know how to pronounce them and say them wrong, that's what he means. He tried reading the first page in a book of Indians and when he didn't know how to pronounce Indianers he said 'that's five words, it means it's too hard and you have to quit, that's the rule the teachers have and that's how I was taught'.
Back to top Go down
Nhaiyel
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Nhaiyel

Female
Rep : 123

PostSubject: Re: Another round of 'did your school do this?'   Another round of 'did your school do this?' EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 12:08 am

Ludicrous. If someone is reading a book and comes across words they don't know, then chances are they will infer the meaning from the context…either that, or at the very least it may make them curious enough to look up the definition of said word. In scenarios like this, the literature is more educating/enhancing their vocabulary at the same time. But they want to wonder why schools are failing; it's because everyone has such low standards and expectations.
Back to top Go down
http://www.musicfanclubs.org/aaliyah/
TPP
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
TPP

Female
Rep : 69

PostSubject: Re: Another round of 'did your school do this?'   Another round of 'did your school do this?' EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 12:04 pm

I have never heard that before in my life!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another round of 'did your school do this?'   Another round of 'did your school do this?' Empty

Back to top Go down

Another round of 'did your school do this?'
Page 1 of 1