CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
TSJFan4Ever
Nhaiyel
Forgiveness Man
Tony Marino
8 posters

Now that OLTL is cancelled

Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Now that OLTL is cancelled Empty Now that OLTL is cancelled

Post by Tony Marino Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:08 am

Are you going to watch any other soaps??? I was thinking of giving Days of Our lives a shot since I am so used to watching a daily soap while eating my dinner.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Now that OLTL is cancelled Empty Re: Now that OLTL is cancelled

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:26 am

Why would I? They're all gonna be gone soon. GH will quickly drown by itself; Days is doing horrible. 2nd Place won't look so hot for B&B when it's also LAST place, and has less than stellar ratings. Y&R will be the last gone, but when it's the ONLY soap left, it's decent ratings won't look so good.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:33 am

Forgiveness Man wrote:Why would I? They're all gonna be gone soon. GH will quickly drown by itself; Days is doing horrible. 2nd Place won't look so hot for B&B when it's also LAST place, and has less than stellar ratings. Y&R will be the last gone, but when it's the ONLY soap left, it's decent ratings won't look so good.

Lil Bro...........you are making your big bro very depressed here!! Now that OLTL is cancelled 2650583631
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:34 am

You can try DOOL, but I don't think they are on steady ground themselves. They came dangerously close to cancellation a few years ago after Passions went. It was speculated all over the soap press that NBC was looking to get out of soaps altogether…an executive from NBC Daytime even hinted that the future of it existing past 2009 was grim. It was just by a fluke that ratings saw a sizable enough increase that they begrudgingly renewed it for a few more years.

I'm not saying don't watch it, but if you do then go in with your eyes open and with an awareness that it is the show likely to get the boot next.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:44 am

Tony Marino wrote:
    Forgiveness Man wrote:Why would I? They're all gonna be gone soon. GH will quickly drown by itself; Days is doing horrible. 2nd Place won't look so hot for B&B when it's also LAST place, and has less than stellar ratings. Y&R will be the last gone, but when it's the ONLY soap left, it's decent ratings won't look so good.

Lil Bro...........you are making your big bro very depressed here!! Now that OLTL is cancelled 2650583631

Sorry. If it's any consolation, if my career as a writer ever takes off by some miracle, I'll try to make it hurt less. Razz
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:55 am

Nhaiyel wrote:You can try DOOL, but I don't think they are on steady ground themselves. They came dangerously close to cancellation a few years ago after Passions went. It was speculated all over the soap press that NBC was looking to get out of soaps altogether…an executive from NBC Daytime even hinted that the future of it existing past 2009 was grim. It was just by a fluke that ratings saw a sizable enough increase that they begrudgingly renewed it for a few more years.

I'm not saying don't watch it, but if you do then go in with your eyes open and with an awareness that it is the show likely to get the boot next.

I have no interest in Y&R so if they cancel Days then my soap viewing days will be over, Ill have to find something else to watch during dinner time. Maybe I Love Lucy Reruns.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:56 am

Forgiveness Man wrote:
    Tony Marino wrote:

Sorry. If it's any consolation, if my career as a writer ever takes off by some miracle, I'll try to make it hurt less. Now that OLTL is cancelled 253468018

Now that OLTL is cancelled 56354 I knew you didn't want to see me depressed. Now that OLTL is cancelled 56354
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:56 am

Tony Marino wrote:
    Forgiveness Man wrote:

Sorry. If it's any consolation, if my career as a writer ever takes off by some miracle, I'll try to make it hurt less. Now that OLTL is cancelled 253468018

Now that OLTL is cancelled 56354 I knew you didn't want to see me depressed. Now that OLTL is cancelled 56354

Of course not. So you gotta my writing career launched. big grin
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:59 am

Tony Marino wrote:
    Nhaiyel wrote:You can try DOOL, but I don't think they are on steady ground themselves. They came dangerously close to cancellation a few years ago after Passions went. It was speculated all over the soap press that NBC was looking to get out of soaps altogether…an executive from NBC Daytime even hinted that the future of it existing past 2009 was grim. It was just by a fluke that ratings saw a sizable enough increase that they begrudgingly renewed it for a few more years.

I have no interest in Y&R so if they cancel Days then my soap viewing days will be over, Ill have to find something else to watch during dinner time. Maybe I Love Lucy Reruns.

I feel you about Y&R. I have more than a few girlfriends who watch that show and swear by it, but Y&R has just always reminded me of a large ornate couch. It just doesn't do it for me.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:02 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:
    Tony Marino wrote:

Of course not. So you gotta my writing career launched. Now that OLTL is cancelled 273237

Who can I write to get you launched?
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:03 pm

Nhaiyel wrote:
    Tony Marino wrote:

I feel you about Y&R. I have more than a few girlfriends who watch that show and swear by it, but Y&R has just always reminded me of a large ornate couch. It just doesn't do it for me.

I used to watch Y&R years ago when I was in High School and after awhile I just didn't like it anymore. I still can't believe that Mrs. Chancellor is still on the show what is she 100 now.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:49 am

I watch Y&R and will continue watching but I"m sick of the Dimeras on Days. The Dimeras rule the show the way Sonny & Jason rule GH and it just doesn't make for good soap viewing when the bad guys always win and the good guys always loose. I can't stomach the Dimeras and their arrogance. They drove me away from Days years ago and have done so every time I've decided to try watching again. Maybe it's just time to give up soaps entirely and find another way to relax in the evenings.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:34 am

Tony Marino wrote:
    Forgiveness Man wrote:

Of course not. So you gotta my writing career launched. Now that OLTL is cancelled 273237

Who can I write to get you launched?
    Somebody with connections! :D1
    ForeverJash
    ForeverJash
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Rep : 9

Post by ForeverJash Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:19 am

Maybe Days or B+B. I don't watch any others and it's soooo late in the soap genre game that I feel like picking up a new soap might be pointless because how long before it gets the noose too?
    sailorlover
    sailorlover
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 2

Post by sailorlover Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:34 am

I'll stick with GH for now but hear about Jason and Sonny running Port Charles! You can only handle so much of the mob crap!
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:01 am

I am going to give Days a shot, if they cancel it they cancel it at least its not something I watched since I was a child.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female

Post by TSJFan4Ever Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:54 pm

sailorlover wrote:I'll stick with GH for now but hear about Jason and Sonny running Port Charles! You can only handle so much of the mob crap!

I got so sick of Sonny and Jason's arrogance that when GH let go of too many of my favs, it was easy to say good-bye. Once Anna Lee and John Ingle had their characters written off and Chad Brannon and Billy Warlock had their characters trashed and then written off, I was only too happy to quit General Mobsters. I had no interest in seeing the mob pimped and propped and Sonny & Jason written as characters who could do no wrong. I'd grown to hate so many of the characters I once loved. I hated how hypocritical Elizabeth was, esp. after she trashed Zander for his involvement with Faith and then hooked up with a mobster herself and had a kid with him. I hated Num and how many people were killed off or destroyed to prop them. Nikolas died for me when TC came back on the show and I grew to hate Emily more and more, espcially once their force fed Num down our throats.

GH destroyed Sleeping Beauty for me by pimping Num as Sleeping Beauty and the prince. I can't watch the show anymore without the revolting images of Num lusting after each other and committing adultery on the floor of the cabin Zander bought for Emily. I think of Sleeping Beauty and see two adulterous lusters with red pron lights flashing in the background, or Nik licking his way up Emily's leg and looking like a starved man devouring a hamburger. Num's lust scenes were some of hte most repulsive I've ever seen on a soap opera. GH choosing to try and cash in on Sleeping Beauty's DVD release by flashing the commercial when Num scenes ended did the movie in for me.

So yeah - between Num and Sonny & Jason, I had a lot of problems with GH when I quit. Smile
    Kral
    Kral
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 30

Post by Kral Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:29 am

GH never appealed to me. Maybe I would have liked it if the focus had stayed on the hospital and medical drama, but the mob and underworld element is just tacky and even though I don't "watch" the show, I sometimes accidentally catch it when I forget to change the channel after OLTL goes off and I see NOTHING at all appealing about Sonny and Jason (who almost reminds me of a whiter, blonder, "eviler" version of Cris Vega). Boring characters and drab actors.

OLTL is the only soap I watch. I actually tried to watch Days about 10 yrs ago and remember a storyline where this young man and woman appeared and it seemed like they weren't "from this planet". They didn't talk, shook a lot and because everything and every sound seemed to frighten them. I didn't keep watching to see how it played out, but the impression I got was that the show was a little more "campy" than I'm into. But my grandma watches it and swears by it, so maybe I will give it another try.

gingersnaps
    gingersnaps
    …is Necessary.
    …is Necessary.

Female
    Rep : 4

Post by gingersnaps Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:06 pm

I might try Days Of Our Lives or B+B, but not totally sure which one yet..
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female

Post by TSJFan4Ever Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:06 pm

Kral wrote:GH never appealed to me. Maybe I would have liked it if the focus had stayed on the hospital and medical drama, but the mob and underworld element is just tacky and even though I don't "watch" the show, I sometimes accidentally catch it when I forget to change the channel after OLTL goes off and I see NOTHING at all appealing about Sonny and Jason (who almost reminds me of a whiter, blonder, "eviler" version of Cris Vega). Boring characters and drab actors.

OLTL is the only soap I watch. I actually tried to watch Days about 10 yrs ago and remember a storyline where this young man and woman appeared and it seemed like they weren't "from this planet". They didn't talk, shook a lot and because everything and every sound seemed to frighten them. I didn't keep watching to see how it played out, but the impression I got was that the show was a little more "campy" than I'm into. But my grandma watches it and swears by it, so maybe I will give it another try.

Kral - GH used to be about the hospital but then the mob began to take over. The guys who played Sonny & Jason got more demanding and GH gave in to them and let them have their way. If Maurice and Steve didn't get their way, they sabotaged their scenes and GH let them because they were both popular. A friend if mine had a set-side source and as Steve and Maurice were given more control, you were in with them or you didn't stand a chance. Things began to change in the mid 90's. A decade later, the show was barely recognizable as General Hospital and had become General Mobsters. There really was nothing worth watching so once my favs were out, I was too.

As for Days? I remember that stupid alien storyline. That was one of the storylines that made me tune out. I think the twins ended up being Stephano's or something like that. HE's one of the most evil characters from any soap - no heart and no soul - pure evil. He'd make mince meat out of Clint and Nora and Mitch and OLTL's other villains. Days has been known for its really stupid storylines that are WAY out there.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:37 am