Are public school teachers in America paid what they are worth? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Are public school teachers in America paid what they are worth?

Go down 
+3
2xy
TSJFan4Ever
Kral
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Kral
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Kral

Female
Rep : 30

Are public school teachers in America paid what they are worth? Empty
PostSubject: Are public school teachers in America paid what they are worth?   Are public school teachers in America paid what they are worth? EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 1:12 am

It is common knowledge that our public school teachers earn very small salaries. Is it acceptable that those who spend 8 hours a day teaching the future of the country earn peanuts while celebrities earn millions? Why do we value entertainment more than the people shaping kids futures?
Back to top Go down
TSJFan4Ever
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
TSJFan4Ever

Female
Rep : 78

PostSubject: Re: Are public school teachers in America paid what they are worth?   Are public school teachers in America paid what they are worth? EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 1:34 am

Teachers in Canada are actually paid a pretty decent salary. Starting salary is almost $40 000 and it goes up from there, esp. if they go on to get a Masters.
Back to top Go down
2xy
…is an Up 'N Comer.
…is an Up 'N Comer.
2xy

Female
Rep : 22

PostSubject: Re: Are public school teachers in America paid what they are worth?   Are public school teachers in America paid what they are worth? EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 1:56 am

Teachers are not paid small salaries where I live. Last I looked, the average teacher salary here is between 50-60K. Sure, it's not a fortune, but seeing as people go into teaching by the droves, there must be some appeal. Benefits, job security, pensions, June/July/August....
Back to top Go down
Impact
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Impact

Male
Rep : 75

PostSubject: Re: Are public school teachers in America paid what they are worth?   Are public school teachers in America paid what they are worth? EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 2:55 am

Public school teachers average about 50 grand a year. Should they be paid more? Sure. But they're not making a menial annual salary.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Are public school teachers in America paid what they are worth?   Are public school teachers in America paid what they are worth? EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 4:19 am

Good teachers should be well rewarded and bad teachers should be shown the door. This is a very hot topic in my home state where school costs are mostly paid for through local property taxes and the average annual bill is almost $8,500. I think only NY is higher by less than $500. Teacher salaries, tenure and life time benefits are not the only thing bankrupting this state (and others) by far but it is one of them.
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

PostSubject: Re: Are public school teachers in America paid what they are worth?   Are public school teachers in America paid what they are worth? EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 8:16 am

Most people are probably not paid what they're worth. I appreciate what teachers do, but I haven't seen any struggling to survive & my taxes are high enough.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Are public school teachers in America paid what they are worth?   Are public school teachers in America paid what they are worth? EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 10:31 am

Kral wrote:
It is common knowledge that our public school teachers earn very small salaries. Is it acceptable that those who spend 8 hours a day teaching the future of the country earn peanuts while celebrities earn millions? Why do we value entertainment more than the people shaping kids futures?

I used to think just like this, but really......are you going to pay a teacher 1 million dollars a year? Teachers have some of the best retirement, benefits and pension plans. And they do make a decent wage. Here in NYC, they get about 60k a year. And those are the rookies. The ones with tenure get a lot more.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are public school teachers in America paid what they are worth?   Are public school teachers in America paid what they are worth? Empty

Back to top Go down

Are public school teachers in America paid what they are worth?
Page 1 of 1