Minority groups and reparations Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Minority groups and reparations

Go down 
+6
Alan Smithee
Forgiveness Man
Nhaiyel
Shale
CeCe
Chris
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

Minority groups and reparations Empty
PostSubject: Minority groups and reparations   Minority groups and reparations EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 8:01 am

What do you think about reparations being given to members of minority groups who have had a long and direct history of suffering oppression (descendants of slaves, holocaust survivors, etc., etc.)?
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

PostSubject: Re: Minority groups and reparations   Minority groups and reparations EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 8:49 am

Not descendants, no. Something like that should only go to the surviving people who personally experienced it. Things that happened to great great great grand daddy are not a reason I would deserve a payday. Even so, this country has a history of oppression. Taking into consideration the number of groups through the years, how exactly would the country fund this? Higher taxes? And then we have the number of people. What would everyone end up with? $1.25? So no. The best I think we should hope for is that history will never repeat itself.
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: Minority groups and reparations   Minority groups and reparations EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 9:23 am

^^^ This pretty much says it.

It would be similar to some tribalistic cultures that hold a person accountable for crimes or infractions his parents or grandparents did.

Likewise for apology. We have a writer with the Miami Herald, Leonard Pitts always going on about an apology for slavery. Fact is, Abraham Lincoln did make such an apology and his generation was the last to be able to do so. For an official of the gov't to make such an apology now, long after all slaves and slave owners are dead is just meaningless.
Back to top Go down
Nhaiyel
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Nhaiyel

Female
Rep : 123

PostSubject: Re: Minority groups and reparations   Minority groups and reparations EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 11:22 am

CeCe wrote:
Not descendants, no. Something like that should only go to the surviving people who personally experienced it. Things that happened to great great great grand daddy are not a reason I would deserve a payday. Even so, this country has a history of oppression. Taking into consideration the number of groups through the years, how exactly would the country fund this? Higher taxes? And then we have the number of people. What would everyone end up with? $1.25? So no. The best I think we should hope for is that history will never repeat itself.

Agreed.

If someone has been enslaved, tortured, or put through any kind of sectarian ordeal at the hands (or negligence) of government, then I am 100% "for" them receiving reparations. However, you're not owed a dime on behalf of your holocaust survivor great grandparents…or your great, great, great grandparents who were slaves; it wasn't you who endured their atrocity. You don't get to spend their repayment.
Back to top Go down
http://www.musicfanclubs.org/aaliyah/
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: Minority groups and reparations   Minority groups and reparations EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 12:04 pm

I'm against it for descendants. It's ridiculous for descendants to pay for what their ancestors did to the ancestors of other people. Heck, many people didn't even have ancestors over here when said injustices happened.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Minority groups and reparations   Minority groups and reparations EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 7:25 pm

co-signs
Back to top Go down
Jason B.
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Jason B.

Male
Rep : 70

PostSubject: Re: Minority groups and reparations   Minority groups and reparations EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 1:17 am

Wait a sec, you mean I can get some money?
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Minority groups and reparations   Minority groups and reparations EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 1:21 am

Jason B. wrote:

LOL, for real. Go reparations!
Back to top Go down
TSJFan4Ever
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
TSJFan4Ever

Female
Rep : 78

PostSubject: Re: Minority groups and reparations   Minority groups and reparations EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 1:40 am

I agree with everyone else, although I think apologies can go a long way for the descendents who suffered as a result of what their parents went through. There's one incident in particular that stands out. In 1939, a ship carrying almost 100 people who were Jewish sought safety in Cuba, the US and Canada and were turned away by all three countries. The ship was forced to return to Germany, where many of those on-board were put into prison camps and died there. A few years ago, Canada offered an official apology to the descendents and invited them to visit the country of the unveiling of a memorial to the ship and those who were lost.

http://www.worldjewishcongress.org/en/news/9863/memorial_to_st_louis_passengers_unveiled_in_canada

I also know that the Japanese Canadian interned by the government in WWII were issued an official apology in the late 80's or early 90's. After the war, the Japanese weren't allowed to return to the coast for another 5 years. Everything they had was sold off and their fishing boats were sunk and then salvaged. The Japanese never saw a penny and were told that their houses, cars, and belongings had been sold to pay for their accommodations during the internment.

Compensation for those who actually suffered is something I"m fine with but for those who are descendents, I think an official apology goes a long way.
Back to top Go down
Marc™
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
Marc™

Male
Rep : 212

PostSubject: Re: Minority groups and reparations   Minority groups and reparations EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 7:28 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:
Jason B. wrote:

I know, right. Was I supposed to say NO to this?

Reparation me please.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Minority groups and reparations   Minority groups and reparations EmptySun May 01, 2011 4:02 am

Marc™ wrote:
Nystyle709 wrote:

I know, right. Was I supposed to say NO to this?

Reparation me please.

Esp if you want this economy to turn around, lol. Cadillac gon' be the number #1 dealership in the country.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Minority groups and reparations   Minority groups and reparations Empty

Back to top Go down

Minority groups and reparations
Page 1 of 1