CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
DanaShelbyChancey
RobbieFTW
Nystyle709
Chris
8 posters

How to spot an undercover racist

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

How to spot an undercover racist Empty How to spot an undercover racist

Post by Chris Thu May 05, 2011 6:51 am

When it comes to racists and bigots, do you think that there are any subtle (non-blatant) signs that they tend to exhibit?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

How to spot an undercover racist Empty Re: How to spot an undercover racist

Post by Nystyle709 Thu May 05, 2011 6:58 am

The most dangerous ones are the ones you would NOT expect. So, not really....I can't say that ALL racists exhibit subtle signs.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Thu May 05, 2011 9:53 am

Hard to say if they're not SAYING anything bluntly racist, more their attitude. Usually negative but the message is obvious.
    DanaShelbyChancey
    DanaShelbyChancey
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Female
    Rep : 10

Post by DanaShelbyChancey Thu May 05, 2011 10:02 am

A few people no longer in my life were 'out' racists and didn't care who knew it. I think they just get a stiff, uncomfortable looking demeanor around anyone they don't like.

That can include people of other races, religions, and gays too.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Thu May 05, 2011 10:22 am

How to spot an undercover racist? Find a lover of another race and let them know.

My mom surprised me by reacting in a hostile manner toward my black GF. I never knew. She actually never considered herself a racist, just one of those "separate but equal" types from the racist days.

BTW, this month is the 50th anniversary of the Freedom Riders, black and white civil rights activists who dared to ride buses thru the South and illegally integrating the segregated facilities. They were threatened, beaten and buses were burned. Some brave ppl who should receive medals for their actions in the face of danger.
    clapping
    rienpoet
    rienpoet
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Female
    Rep : 4

Post by rienpoet Thu May 05, 2011 10:26 am

Racist in the sense to object/be against everything that comes from other race, or in the sense to love/agree/justify everything that comes from other race?

Easy. Listen carefully to what they say or how they react to other race. And observe what they think of other race when their interests are jeopardized (on the line?)
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Thu May 05, 2011 11:24 am

In my experience, undercover racists tend to be very patronizing, passive/aggressive or will speak in transparent code when it comes to anything associated with whatever race they have a problem with. Instead of saying they dislike black people, they'll condescend something about the NBA or hip hop...instead of saying they dislike hispanics, they'll mock something associated with their culture...etc.
    Friendly Veteran
    Friendly Veteran
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 10

Post by Friendly Veteran Thu May 05, 2011 11:38 am

Once I have this feeling there is something suspicious on the individual I simply prove. I do not prove asking a bunch of obvious questions. It may take some time as I ask questions and may bring up situations to see what are the answers and opinions of the individual. The individual will show some subtle clues even if he does not want to discluse his racist biases.

I may do this but not with everybody even with some that may be obvious on their beliefs. I do not mind or care is someone is racist, actually. People are entitled to their beliefs as long as they are not interfering with my rights and the rights of others because of their beliefs. I have met some that have told me they have certain racists attitudes and yet they do threat others fairly by not allowing their beliefs or feeling to get the best of them.

Example: Back around 1980 I was stationed in Fort Hood. I was a Private in the Army and one day I went to my Section Sergeant home. We talked and in the converstaion he expressed that if his daugther were to date or marry a black guy he would disown her. He believe the Bible said God wanted the races separated. I did try to show him he was wrong about the Bible. I did realize he was not going to change so I dropped the subject.
    Now here is the interesting part. We had two other Privates and both were black. The First Sergeant had it against them and you could see he was racist by the way he talked to them and treated them. Well, one day he was trying to find a way to demote them both. The Sergeant who had told me he would diswon his daughter put his neck on the line by openly challenging the First Sergeant as being unfair on the two black guys. You do not stand up in a shouting match with a First Sergeant in those days! The First Sergeant did back off. So yes, someone can be racist but at the same time in some ways be fair. This Sergeant would not stop his daughter from marrying anyone she wanted and respected her wish to do so and also stood up for those two black guys at the expense of the possiblity of hurting his career. Even though I did not agree with his beliefs I respected and admired his honesty and courage.

You have a great day.
    Friendly Veteran

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 8:28 am