CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+2
Forgiveness Man
Chris
6 posters

Should religious history be in school textbooks?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Should religious history be in school textbooks? Empty Should religious history be in school textbooks?

Post by Chris Thu May 05, 2011 6:53 am

What are your thoughts of religious history (touching on philosophy, even if not endorsing it) being taught in public schools? Do you think it's a valuable topic to touch on for historic purposes, or should it be altogether left alone?
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Should religious history be in school textbooks? Empty Re: Should religious history be in school textbooks?

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu May 05, 2011 8:15 am

On one hand, I say that if we can force gay history and black history on students, then why not religious history? On the other hand, I don't think I trust religious history in the hands of proven incompetent and secularly biased teachers.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Should religious history be in school textbooks? Empty Re: Should religious history be in school textbooks?

Post by CeCe Thu May 05, 2011 8:29 am

If you teach the history of one you have to teach the history of all. It would only encourage trouble because the people who adhere fanatically to theirs will just be at odds with each other because everyone believes theirs is the only "right" one. I don't see how that class could possible stay on track. Leave it alone.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Thu May 05, 2011 7:49 pm

I thought they already did. I learned about the Myans, Incas, Aztecs and their societies based on their religous practices. Greek and Roman mythology. Talk about bias. Their beliefs are called "mythology" while the Judeo-Christian based faiths have no more basis in fact.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Thu May 05, 2011 11:53 pm

I think it's only fair, given that they are teaching evolution. I'd love to see a curriculum that would include different world religion, including ancient ones.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Fri May 06, 2011 1:54 am

You know, this whole teaching different types of history thing has really got me confused. We've got regular, general history that covers both the U.S. and the globe, and we have black history, that's fine, but I gotta ask where is the line drawn? When I was in school we had one history class per grade that taught everything from I don't remember how far back, to the 90s, and it included whites, blacks, Indians, ancient Eygptians, etc. and as for religion, we have separation of church and state which I'm still trying to figure out what the hell it's exactly supposed to be, but in history religion is often discussed and where is it drawn? And considering what IS being taken out of history, it kind of makes you wonder what one day teachers are going to be saying about Joan of Arc because you take out she heard God and talked with the Saints, take out that when she was in prison her biggest torture was being denied Mass, take away when she was burnt at the stake and called out to Jesus in her last moments, what do you have left? A very choppy story, but that seems to be the way history IS today.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 9:09 am