CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+3
Nystyle709
RedBedroom
Chris
7 posters

Texas School Board Wants to Ban Pro-Islam Textbooks

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Texas School Board Wants to Ban Pro-Islam Textbooks Empty Texas School Board Wants to Ban Pro-Islam Textbooks

Post by Chris Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:16 pm

Texas School Board Wants to Ban Pro-Islam Textbooks

Measure Undercuts Democratic Values And Stirs Up Fear And Intolerance, Watchdog Group Charges

Americans United for Separation of Church and State today urged the Texas State Board of Education to reject a resolution that criticizes publishers for allegedly promoting “pro-Islamic/anti-Christian bias” in world history textbooks.

The resolution, put forward by an ultra-conservative faction on the board, vows to reject textbooks that “offend Texas law with respect to treatment of the world's major religious groups by significant inequalities of coverage space-wise and/or by demonizing or lionizing one or more of them over others.” It warns that discriminatory treatment of religion may increase “as Middle Easterners buy into the U.S. public school textbook oligopoly.”

Advocates of civil rights and civil liberties said the measure is based on faulty and misleading analysis and is merely the latest attempt by right-wing board members to politicize public education in Texas.

This clearly is just an attempt to add fuel to the anti-Islam rhetoric currently circulating around the country,” said the Rev. Barry W. Lynn, Americans United executive director. “The right-wing faction on the board needs to recognize that it is their duty to make the best decisions for students, not to push a political agenda.

“Once again, the Texas school system is being turned into a culture-war battleground,” Lynn continued. “When will these board members drop the political stunts and focus on improving education?”

In a letter today, Americans United called on the board to shelve the resolution.

The letter, drafted by AU State Legislative Counsel Dena S. Sher, urged the board to oppose the resolution because it is based on dubious analysis, focuses on out-of-date textbooks and “undermines core democratic values of inclusion and respect for all religions.”

“We urge the Board to oppose this harmful resolution,” wrote Sher. “Although the purported goal of balanced treatment of religion is commendable, the resolution actually achieves the opposite result – it has the effect of disparaging Islam. The Board should focus on giving Texas school children the best education possible and not stir up fear and intolerance.”

The resolution has been placed on the agenda for the board meeting being held today and tomorrow in Austin. Americans United’s Austin Chapter President Brian Spears plans to provide testimony opposing the measure.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Texas School Board Wants to Ban Pro-Islam Textbooks Empty Re: Texas School Board Wants to Ban Pro-Islam Textbooks

Post by RedBedroom Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:33 am

I may be missing something, but history is history. If the lesson, per textbook or not, pertains to Islamic relations then, go forward. I don't think that it should be ousted if it is relevant to the study in the class. I don't think there is a public school lesson in the country that would be pro Islamic. And I say that because I don't think there is a public school lesson that would be pro any denomination.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Texas School Board Wants to Ban Pro-Islam Textbooks Empty Re: Texas School Board Wants to Ban Pro-Islam Textbooks

Post by Nystyle709 Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:40 am

LMAO.....I know it's been quite a few years since I've been out of school, but I have NEVER seen a 'pro-Islamic' textbook. What is that anyway?
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:34 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:LMAO.....I know it's been quite a few years since I've been out of school, but I have NEVER seen a 'pro-Islamic' textbook. What is that anyway?

I think it's a book that contains factual history without hyperventilating about how it must be defeated & abolished because god intended for christianity to be the only religion in existence.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:59 pm

CeCe wrote:

I think it's a book that contains factual history without hyperventilating about how it must be defeated & abolished because god intended for christianity to be the only religion in existence.
    Or maybe it's books that make Islam out to be this misunderstood religion and they only want to blow us up cause we were mean to them. Razz

But seriously, what is wrong with banning Pro-Islam textbooks? If they wanted to ban Pro-Christian textbooks, these same outraged people would be cheering.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:38 pm

Forgiveness_Man wrote:Or maybe it's books that make Islam out to be this misunderstood religion and they only want to blow us up cause we were mean to them. Razz

But seriously, what is wrong with banning Pro-Islam textbooks? If they wanted to ban Pro-Christian textbooks, these same outraged people would be cheering.

Actually FM, they don't want to ban "pro-Christian text books. At least not in Texas. From what I've read, the board's objections are against what they feel are "anti-Christian bias" in favor of "pro-Islamic distortion". Don't ask me what these biases and distortions are.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:10 pm

alan smithee wrote:

Actually FM, they don't want to ban "pro-Christian text books. At least not in Texas. From what I've read, the board's objections are against what they feel are "anti-Christian bias" in favor of "pro-Islamic distortion". Don't ask me what these biases and distortions are.
    Well maybe they don't want to ban Pro-Christian stuff in TEXAS, but I am sure many of the other 50 states would be strongly open to that possibility and I really don't think the same people upset over this would be upset over that.

Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:52 am

Forgiveness_Man wrote:Well maybe they don't want to ban Pro-Christian stuff in TEXAS, but I am sure many of the other 50 states would be strongly open to that possibility and I really don't think the same people upset over this would be upset over that.

How do you figure that?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:54 am

CeCe wrote:

Yeah, that's prob. what it is. And pretty damn interesting too....since Christianity and Islam BOTH believe in GOD.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:59 am

Nystyle709 wrote:

Yeah, that's prob. what it is. And pretty damn interesting too....since Christianity and Islam BOTH believe in GOD.

It's not one book, I think it's three.

I dug a little deeper and here are a couple of links if you're interested.

http://www.tfn.org/site/DocServer/Islam_Resolution_Brief_LH.pdf?docID=2042

http://video.onset.freedom.com/odessa/l61l1j-rivesresolution.pdf

Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:43 am

Nystyle709 wrote:

Another thing NY. The fact that both Christians and Muslims both believe in God doesn't highlight a similarity. It's a glaring difference because they don't believe in the same God. Another big difference is that for the most part, when Christians get "insulted" by something like a cartoon, they write a letter to the editor of the paper that ran it. They don't call for the death of the cartoonist. Yes, there are Christian extremists like those assholes from the Westboro Baptist Church and "pro-lifers" who murder abortion clinic doctors but I've never heard of a debate amoung Christians where one side says, "Jesus said to 'love thy neighbor'" and the other side said, "No, he said,'anyone who doesn't belive in me should be killed.'"

Also, please don't interpret anything I've written that I support the Texas School Board and their text book policies in anyway.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:44 am

I never saw a "pro-Islam book" in school, so I take this all to mean that this Texas school is just trying to publicly snub something Islam related for kicks.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:38 am

alan smithee wrote:

Another thing NY. The fact that both Christians and Muslims both believe in God doesn't highlight a similarity. It's a glaring difference because they don't believe in the same God. Another big difference is that for the most part, when Christians get "insulted" by something like a cartoon, they write a letter to the editor of the paper that ran it. They don't call for the death of the cartoonist. Yes, there are Christian extremists like those assholes from the Westboro Baptist Church and "pro-lifers" who murder abortion clinic doctors but I've never heard of a debate amoung Christians where one side says, "Jesus said to 'love thy neighbor'" and the other side said, "No, he said,'anyone who doesn't belive in me should be killed.'"

Also, please don't interpret anything I've written that I support the Texas School Board and their text book policies in anyway.

Fundamentally, they do. Both religions are monotheistic, both religions believe in one deity, both religions believe the purpose in life is to worship and submit to ONE God, both religions follow the teaching from one text, hell both even believe in the presence of angels, both have their "messengers". Contrary to what people think, Islam is heavily influenced from the teachings Judaism (and we all know the "Christian" Jesus was a Jew) just like Christianity is. Muslims just feel that the word of God has been distorted by the followers of Christianity and even Judism. Islam call him Allah, Christians call him Jesus. This is why I find it hilarious how you have so much fighting and hatred for people practicing a different faith than yours. NONE of you are right. You all believe in the exact same higher presence, which is God. Man created every damn religion there is. And yet, these feeble minded flocks fight to the death of something that has only been interpreted if there is even a "God" at all (but that's another issue). And in my experience and observations, Christians are the one who can't handle towing that line the most. I'm not even going to say 'most Christians', just saying from what I've seen (especially on this forum) Christians are the ones who tend to posture the most.

They don't call for the death of the cartoonist. Yes, there are Christian extremists like those assholes from the Westboro Baptist Church and "pro-lifers" who murder abortion clinic doctors but I've never heard of a debate amoung Christians where one side says, "Jesus said to 'love thy neighbor'" and the other side said, "No, he said,'anyone who doesn't belive in me should be killed.'"

Well, you're just describing an extremist attitude all around. MOST followers of the Islamic faith are peaceful. Especially the ones I've encountered. They all don't want to 'blow any and everybody up' who doesn't believe in Allah or who even mocks him.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:00 pm

Of course I'm describing the extremists but do you really think they are in equal numbers between the two? Even if the head count was equal, do as many Christians cut off the heads of non-believers? If more Muslims only postured as much as the Christians the world would be a safer place to live.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:27 pm

alan smithee wrote:Of course I'm describing the extremists but do you really think they are in equal numbers between the two? Even if the head count was equal, do as many Christians cut off the heads of non-believers?

Not at all. I can see what you're saying, but that still doesn't mean we define a religion based on extremists. And chopping off heads is exactly what a Muslim extremist does. But who's to say chopping off heads has to be done literally? I've lived in the Bible Beat. I've seen it done verbally. Smile Muslims in THIS country is always going to get a negative rap. But it all goes back to what I originally stated. We all virtually believe in the same thing. So it's stupid to be fighting.

If more Muslims only postured as much as the Christians the world would be a safer place to live.

I wouldn't go that far. If people knew how to tow the line and stop pushing off their religious notions on people, the world would be a much safer place.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:11 am

CatEyes10736 wrote:I never saw a "pro-Islam book" in school, so I take this all to mean that this Texas school is just trying to publicly snub something Islam related for kicks.

co-signs

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 5:01 am