CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+11
Tony Marino
Alan Smithee
Forgiveness Man
Friendly Veteran
MandyPerfumeGirl
BlackPantherGod
Cheaps
Chris
RedBedroom
Supernova
femme fatale
15 posters

Should families eat dinner together?

femme fatale
    femme fatale
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 46

Should families eat dinner together? Empty Should families eat dinner together?

Post by femme fatale Thu May 12, 2011 1:59 am

Are you a believer in "the family table?"
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Should families eat dinner together? Empty Re: Should families eat dinner together?

Post by Supernova Thu May 12, 2011 2:00 am

Yes, and breakfast too...we did that for several years and had some good times and good discussions together.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Should families eat dinner together? Empty Re: Should families eat dinner together?

Post by RedBedroom Thu May 12, 2011 2:04 am

Yes it should be. In this home it is not. I despise that our schedules do not provide for that. We don't know when the man of the house will be home. So, do we sit in waiting, hungry? Nope.

In my next life, I will have a traditional family unit that eats together.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Thu May 12, 2011 2:11 am

It's a nice concept but in today's world, with both parents working, isn't always convenient or realistic. When my daughter is here, we used to eat in the same vicinity; but more and more we go our separate ways at meal time. She likes to watch TV and eat (and admittedly, so do I.)
    Cheaps
    Cheaps
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Thu May 12, 2011 3:03 am

growin up we always had dinner together, well at least sun thru thurs.. but as each sibling left the nest, it wasnt the same.
    BlackPantherGod
    BlackPantherGod
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 6

Post by BlackPantherGod Thu May 12, 2011 4:29 am

I much, much prefer to eat at a table when I eat with my family; it reminds me of back when I was a kid. Plus, in my apartment, I eat food off of a plate on my lap all the time, and it's nice to have something to put your elbows up on while you're eating.
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Thu May 12, 2011 11:39 am

Yes, absolutely. Family time is underrated.
    Friendly Veteran
    Friendly Veteran
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 10

Post by Friendly Veteran Thu May 12, 2011 11:42 am

We made it in our family to dine together as much as possible. My wife and I still do. We spend the majority of the time away from each other so we do use that time to talk and share things as we enjoy our meal.

We were not rigid about it though. We were flexible when situations got on the way but the norm was to have dinner together.

You have a great day.
    Friendly Veteran
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu May 12, 2011 1:30 pm

Yes they should. I disagree that it is unrealistic. If your family cannot even find time to eat a meal together, than that is proof positive enough right there for me that your family is overscheduled.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Thu May 12, 2011 1:38 pm

Yes, whenever possible, everyone should be at the table. With the TV off (eyeballs Chris big grin )
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Thu May 12, 2011 1:48 pm

alan smithee wrote:Yes, whenever possible, everyone should be at the table. With the TV off (eyeballs Chris big grin )

blushing
    It's true, I can't argue. Last month my daughter was over for the weekend and we did actually eat at the table, but only because that's where I sat her plate. Had she served herself, she would have taken it to the den or to her bedroom. But we're very informal, so when she was done, do you think she asked if she could be excused? No. She got up, put her plate in the sink and left me there to finish the conversation by myself. Teenagers.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Thu May 12, 2011 1:59 pm

Chris wrote:
    alan smithee wrote:Yes, whenever possible, everyone should be at the table. With the TV off (eyeballs Chris big grin )

blushing
    It's true, I can't argue. Last month my daughter was over for the weekend and we did actually eat at the table, but only because that's where I sat her plate. Had she served herself, she would have taken it to the den or to her bedroom. But we're very informal, so when she was done, do you think she asked if she could be excused? No. She got up, put her plate in the sink and left me there to finish the conversation by myself. Teenagers.

Duct tape, my friend. Duct tape.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Thu May 12, 2011 2:02 pm

Yes its a great time to share your day and spend time together.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu May 12, 2011 6:32 pm

It's a nice tradition. We hardly ever did it, but I would like to do it with my family when I get one.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Fri May 13, 2011 3:52 am

I think so. I think the main reason families don't nowadays is because many aren't home at the same time. Like RB said, if I'm ready to eat and my BF isn't there, then I'm going to eat and he can fix his own plate when he gets home.
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 37

Post by tmontyb Fri May 13, 2011 6:49 am

I definitely think families should eat together. I ate dinner with my family every night up until I was in my late teens and even after that still we always had Sunday dinner together for a long while.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri May 13, 2011 8:40 am

It was how I was raised, but that was in the '50s and my stepfather was the traditional breadwinner who got home from his day job each evening, where mom fixed supper and had it waiting.

However, when I inherited a 13-year-old stepdaughter, my wife worked evenings so I fixed supper for the two of us and it wasn't too formal - just eat and move on (to TV or homework).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 12:33 am