Am I being silly or Petty? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Am I being silly or Petty?

Go down 
+7
Chris
TSJFan4Ever
Supernova
Nystyle709
Alan Smithee
CeCe
Tony Marino
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male
Rep : 607

Am I being silly or Petty? Empty
PostSubject: Am I being silly or Petty?   Am I being silly or Petty? EmptyTue May 24, 2011 10:12 pm

Here is the situation. I have a cousin that I have not seen for over 2 years. When I was laid up in bed last summer with my broken ankle I never received so much as an e-mail asking how I was doing. Now I get an invitation to his daughter's communion party which is going to be held in a catering hall. I RSVP that I was not attending. I felt a little angry that after all this time and not even acknowledging me when I was down and out now I am a cousin and you want a gift from me? Am I wrong to feel this way? I fully intend to send a SMALL gift with my sister just because I got the invitation but I am a no show for sure.
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

PostSubject: Re: Am I being silly or Petty?   Am I being silly or Petty? EmptyTue May 24, 2011 10:18 pm

Absolutely not. It would have only taken a few minutes for him to email or even call you. I've known people who only show up when they want something. Can't stand that. Interesting he figured out how to contact you now. If you don't want to go I don't blame you. He should be glad you're sending a gift at all.
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male

PostSubject: Re: Am I being silly or Petty?   Am I being silly or Petty? EmptyTue May 24, 2011 10:20 pm

CeCe wrote:
Absolutely not. It would have only taken a few minutes for him to email or even call you. I've known people who only show up when they want something. Can't stand that. Interesting he figured out how to contact you now. If you don't want to go I don't blame you. He should be glad you're sending a gift at all.

Thanks CeCe I knew that I should not feel badly about this.
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

PostSubject: Re: Am I being silly or Petty?   Am I being silly or Petty? EmptyTue May 24, 2011 10:22 pm

Tony Marino wrote:
CeCe wrote:

Thanks CeCe I knew that I should not feel badly about this.

big hugz big hugz
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Am I being silly or Petty?   Am I being silly or Petty? EmptyTue May 24, 2011 10:28 pm

Tony, it sounds like you come from a fairly large family. If so, do you know if "everyone" else has been invited? You know the situation better than I do but how would you have felt if you weren't invited? Not saying it doesn't suck that he didn't keep in touch with you when you were laid up.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Am I being silly or Petty?   Am I being silly or Petty? EmptyTue May 24, 2011 10:29 pm

Nope, you're not wrong. And if I were you, I wouldn't even send a small gift.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

PostSubject: Re: Am I being silly or Petty?   Am I being silly or Petty? EmptyTue May 24, 2011 11:22 pm

This takes me back, not in the way of family but something similar. A couple years back there was this woman whose husband died and we were helping her out with things when she 'broke' her ankle one summer. And the day before Mother's Day, I'm mowing my grandmother's lawn and suddenly fall down the water meter, have to pull myself out, my leg is bashed up so badly that it has bruises for a full year...a few days later I go over to see what the woman wants, she heard that I was hurt, she saw how bad my leg was, but all she could talk about was a movie she wanted to send home for me to watch. pissed I was so glad when we cut ties with that woman, she didn't care about anybody but herself, and your cousin sounds the same way.
Back to top Go down
TSJFan4Ever
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
TSJFan4Ever

Female
Rep : 78

PostSubject: Re: Am I being silly or Petty?   Am I being silly or Petty? EmptyTue May 24, 2011 11:58 pm

I don't blame you for feeling jilted.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

PostSubject: Re: Am I being silly or Petty?   Am I being silly or Petty? EmptyWed May 25, 2011 8:19 am

I wouldn't consider it petty at all for you to be ambivalent about joining the gift giving celebration of someone who hasn't bothered to acknowledge you in years. That you're even bothering to send a gift (and yes, one has to wonder if they would have bothered to include you if this didn't involve that) at all is decent, considering. Don't even think twice about it. Just send your regards. If it were me, if I went there would be a tinge of resentment in the air on my part that may put a damper on things, and it isn't worth it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: Am I being silly or Petty?   Am I being silly or Petty? EmptyWed May 25, 2011 8:55 am

I think you are being very generous to send the gift! But it is for the child, not the parent, so you are a sweetheart for doing that.
Back to top Go down
RobbieFTW
…is Being Fitted For a Crown.
RobbieFTW

Male
Rep : 145

PostSubject: Re: Am I being silly or Petty?   Am I being silly or Petty? EmptyWed May 25, 2011 10:03 am

RedBedroom wrote:
I think you are being very generous to send the gift! But it is for the child, not the parent, so you are a sweetheart for doing that.

co-signs
Sending a gift for the new baby is like Red said generous and unselfish but you ain't being petty to not wanna go there and hang out with people who haven't bothered to talk to you in years. I wouldnt either. My cousin got married last year and I didnt go to the wedding because I was never that close to her and because I knew the only reason she invited me was to get another present. Funny how people who dont talk to you in forever suddenly remember EVERYBODY's name when they throw parties where its expected for everyone to show up carrying a gift!
Back to top Go down
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
(Oh!) Rob Petrie

Male
Rep : 62

PostSubject: Re: Am I being silly or Petty?   Am I being silly or Petty? EmptyWed May 25, 2011 10:06 am

It's a little petty because you're taking it out on his daughter.
Back to top Go down
RobbieFTW
RobbieFTW

Male
Rep : 145

PostSubject: Re: Am I being silly or Petty?   Am I being silly or Petty? EmptyWed May 25, 2011 10:10 am

Rockbird wrote:
It's a little petty because you're taking it out on his daughter.

No he isn't, he's sending a gift. He's just not going to celebrate (hang out with the adults who don't give a crap about him).
Back to top Go down
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
(Oh!) Rob Petrie

Male

PostSubject: Re: Am I being silly or Petty?   Am I being silly or Petty? EmptyWed May 25, 2011 10:56 am

Were you and your cousin close? I mean, I don't call my family if they get sick or hurt themselves or something. Not unless they're dying. I don't really see what the big deal is.
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male

PostSubject: Re: Am I being silly or Petty?   Am I being silly or Petty? EmptyWed May 25, 2011 11:22 am

Thanks for all the responses. My cousin and I were very close at one time then all of a sudden, I just didn't hear from him anymore. I am not taking it out on the kid since I am sending a gift in my place. The whole family is invited and I am not the only one that is not attending. Point is that I am tired of going to affairs of people that I am not involved with and the only time they contact you is when they want a gift for some event in their life. I have done this so often but this time I just said enough is enough.
Back to top Go down
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
(Oh!) Rob Petrie

Male

PostSubject: Re: Am I being silly or Petty?   Am I being silly or Petty? EmptyWed May 25, 2011 11:32 am

Well, it doesn't sound like there is any animosity on your cousin's part. It sounds to me like you're the one who's mad. You don't have to like anybody in your family or anything like that, but the telephone goes both ways. If you want a relationship with your cousin again, give him a call. If you don't, just leave it at that. But to be mad over the reason you previously listed seems a bit silly. sad
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male

PostSubject: Re: Am I being silly or Petty?   Am I being silly or Petty? EmptyWed May 25, 2011 11:39 am

Rockbird wrote:
Well, it doesn't sound like there is any animosity on your cousin's part. It sounds to me like you're the one who's mad. You don't have to like anybody in your family or anything like that, but the telephone goes both ways. If you want a relationship with your cousin again, give him a call. If you don't, just leave it at that. But to be mad over the reason you previously listed seems a bit silly. sad

Yah it is silly and I was the last to contact him. I don't care at all if you don't want to be bothered with me but then don't invite me to one of your gift giving parties and expect me to attend. As far as a relationship, we will see each other again and it will be hello, how are you, nice to see you, bye. You would have to be in my family to understand fully why I feel the way I do. I have told family members as well and they were totally surprised by the lack of contact and harbor no harsh feelings towards me for what I am doing.

Back to top Go down
Marc™
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
Marc™

Male
Rep : 212

PostSubject: Re: Am I being silly or Petty?   Am I being silly or Petty? EmptyWed May 25, 2011 11:50 am

Tony Marino wrote:
Here is the situation. I have a cousin that I have not seen for over 2 years. When I was laid up in bed last summer with my broken ankle I never received so much as an e-mail asking how I was doing. Now I get an invitation to his daughter's communion party which is going to be held in a catering hall. I RSVP that I was not attending. I felt a little angry that after all this time and not even acknowledging me when I was down and out now I am a cousin and you want a gift from me? Am I wrong to feel this way? I fully intend to send a SMALL gift with my sister just because I got the invitation but I am a no show for sure.

From what you described, your cousin sounds fake and insincere. It's not even about how you were injured last year and he didn't so much as send you a get well email, this relative hasn't even bothered to call (and he didn't call to personally invite you to this get together either) and say hell in over 2 years. Now.....while including as many names on the invite list as he can remember....he suddenly wants to remember that you're family so that he can stack his baby gifts. GTFOH with that fake ass shit. What I look like? If it were me, I'd consider not even sending a gift. Neutral Hell, there's nothing you can give that her parents couldn't or shouldn't be providing themselves....but I'm glad you're being big enough to send something....but nah, you don't need to be there. Just send the gift with a card, stay home and watch Vampire Diaries.
Back to top Go down
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
(Oh!) Rob Petrie

Male

PostSubject: Re: Am I being silly or Petty?   Am I being silly or Petty? EmptyWed May 25, 2011 11:50 am

Then I'd just leave it at that. Just a friendship that kind of fizzled out.
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male

PostSubject: Re: Am I being silly or Petty?   Am I being silly or Petty? EmptyWed May 25, 2011 11:51 am

Marc™ wrote:
Tony Marino wrote:

From what you described, your cousin sounds fake and insincere. It's not even about how you were injured last year and didn't so much as get an email, this relative hasn't even bothered to call and say hello (and he didn't call to personally invite you to this get together either). Now.....while including as many names on the invite list as he can remember....he suddenly wants to remember that you're family so that he can stack his baby gifts. GTFOH with that fake ass shit. What I look like? If it were me, I'd consider not even sending a gift. Neutral Hell, there's nothing you can give that her parents couldn't or shouldn't be providing themselves....but I'm glad you're being big enough to send something....but nah, you don't need to be there. Just send the gift with a card, stay home and watch Vampire Diaries.

That is exactly what I am going to do!!!
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

PostSubject: Re: Am I being silly or Petty?   Am I being silly or Petty? EmptyWed May 25, 2011 12:01 pm

Tony Marino wrote:

Yah it is silly and I was the last to contact him. I don't care at all if you don't want to be bothered with me but then don't invite me to one of your gift giving parties and expect me to attend. As far as a relationship, we will see each other again and it will be hello, how are you, nice to see you, bye. You would have to be in my family to understand fully why I feel the way I do. I have told family members as well and they were totally surprised by the lack of contact and harbor no harsh feelings towards me for what I am doing.

I still think you're doing the right thing. Being related doesn't mean obligated. Hell it's pretty damn bad when people on the internet are more concerned about you than "family". Fine if he felt he didn't need to even say "hope you feel better soon." but don't come sniffing around with a hand out for gifts. I think you're being kind to send one at all.
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male

PostSubject: Re: Am I being silly or Petty?   Am I being silly or Petty? EmptyWed May 25, 2011 2:31 pm

CeCe wrote:
Tony Marino wrote:

I still think you're doing the right thing. Being related doesn't mean obligated. Hell it's pretty damn bad when people on the internet are more concerned about you than "family". Fine if he felt he didn't need to even say "hope you feel better soon." but don't come sniffing around with a hand out for gifts. I think you're being kind to send one at all.

CeCe that is exactly the way I feel and I do not feel any guilt over it at all. Yes I am being nice sending a gift but that is for the child.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Am I being silly or Petty?   Am I being silly or Petty? Empty

Back to top Go down

Am I being silly or Petty?
Page 1 of 1