CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+9
Nystyle709
Nhaiyel
CeCe
RedBedroom
Shale
Tony Marino
DanaShelbyChancey
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
Chris
13 posters

Dove soap ad. Racist?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Dove soap ad.  Racist? Empty Dove soap ad. Racist?

Post by Chris Wed May 25, 2011 11:11 am

This ad is causing controversy. It features a black woman on the end labeled 'before,' a latin woman in the center, and a white woman on the other end labeled 'after.' The implication is that the black woman was dirty, the latin was cleaner (but not quite there), and the white woman was the end result of the wash.

What do you think?

http://gawker.com/5804724/dove-body-wash-strong-enough-to-turn-a-black-woman-white

Dove soap ad.  Racist? Dovead46262102390

Dove Body Wash: Strong Enough to Turn a Black Woman White

Hamilton Nolan — Dove Body Wash: Strong Enough to Turn a Black Woman WhiteDove VisibleCare body wash: "Visibly more beautiful skin." Bye-bye black skin, hello white skin! (Scrub hard!) Can this ad possibly be real? Some people think it is! We've emailed Dove's representatives for confirmation, and we'll update with their reply. If real, this could be the most (unintentionally) racist skin care product ad in... about ten months.

UPDATE: It appears that the ad is real; commenters point out that the photo can be found on this Dove website, and others have told us they've seen it in magazines. We'll add any official response we receive from Dove.

UPDATE 2: We received the following statement from Edelman, Dove's PR firm:

"We believe that real beauty comes in many shapes, sizes, colors and ages and are committed to featuring realistic and attainable images of beauty in all our advertising. We are also dedicated to educating and encouraging all women and girls to build a positive relationship with beauty, to help raise self-esteem and to enable them to realize their full potential.

The ad is intended to illustrate the benefits of using Dove VisibleCare Body Wash, by making skin visibly more beautiful in just one week. All three women are intended to demonstrate the "after" product benefit. We do not condone any activity or imagery that intentionally insults any audience."
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Dove soap ad.  Racist? Empty Re: Dove soap ad. Racist?

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Wed May 25, 2011 11:14 am

That repulsive. Who the fuck thought that was a good idea?
    DanaShelbyChancey
    DanaShelbyChancey
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Female
    Rep : 10

Post by DanaShelbyChancey Wed May 25, 2011 11:18 am

It looks unfortunate that it could be taken that way, but I highly doubt that is what Dove had in mind!
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Wed May 25, 2011 11:25 am

Is that some kind of a joke. Not only is it racist but its also extremely bad taste on the Company's part. I can't believe they even approved of it.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Wed May 25, 2011 11:29 am

I visited the website and I see the picture but nowhere can I see that it says "can turn a black woman white"

http://www.dovecloseup.com/

Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Wed May 25, 2011 3:18 pm

Tony Marino wrote:I visited the website and I see the picture but nowhere can I see that it says "can turn a black woman white"

Thanx for the clarification Tony. It appears that the before & after were on the panel of skin, showing the creases in the before.

Just bad placement for the overly sensitive that the black/latina/white women were in the order from before to after.

Some ppl just look for being slighted.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Wed May 25, 2011 3:24 pm

Shale wrote:
    Tony Marino wrote:I visited the website and I see the picture but nowhere can I see that it says "can turn a black woman white"

Thanx for the clarification Tony. It appears that the before & after were on the panel of skin, showing the creases in the before.

Just bad placement for the overly sensitive that the black/latina/white women were in the order from before to after.

Some ppl just look for being slighted.

I thought so.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Wed May 25, 2011 3:41 pm

It is shameful that the placement of the women from left to right as they are would bring about such speculation about it being a racist ad, when clearly, the before and after had to do with less dry skin, and all three of the happy women are representative of the happy "after".

CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Wed May 25, 2011 3:58 pm

RedBedroom wrote:It is shameful that the placement of the women from left to right as they are would bring about such speculation about it being a racist ad, when clearly, the before and after had to do with less dry skin, and all three of the happy women are representative of the happy "after".

I think there are people who could offended by an egg roll if they tried. The intent of the ad is obvious. No one is trying to "turn" anything other than dry skin into smooth. There was a comedian quite a few years ago who talked about his father finding racism in everything including breakfast cereal. That's what this reminds me of.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Wed May 25, 2011 4:09 pm

Even if their intentions were on the level, that a black woman just happened to be posed under the banter of "before" and a white woman under the banter of "after" does look very suspect. Whoever put together that photo should have caught the possible connotation before it went to print and done some last minute reediting, because to the passing eye it does seem to suggest that the black woman's skin is dirty and the white woman's skin is clean.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Wed May 25, 2011 7:58 pm

CeCe wrote:I think there are people who could offended by an egg roll if they tried. The intent of the ad is obvious. No one is trying to "turn" anything other than dry skin into smooth. There was a comedian quite a few years ago who talked about his father finding racism in everything including breakfast cereal. That's what this reminds me of.
    I was once accused of racism at work and it really pissed me off. In '94 I made a panel for the AIDS Memorial Quilt, dedicated to all the black ppl I knew who died of AIDS and were quietly disposed of by their families without any acknowledgment of how they died and especially how they contracted the disease (gay sex or IV drug use).

Here is the panel, that was well received in Gainesville Florida (a university city), and was even displayed in a conference room at the community college.

Dove soap ad.  Racist? L

Years later I displayed it at work on Dec 1st, World AIDS Day and a black co-worker raised hell. "Why only black ppl? White ppl get AIDS." I was asked by the executive director to take it down. I was really pissed!

BTW, these are the same backward local black ppl who complain of being downtrodden by "whitey" when the black Caribbean immigrants who live here are doing quite well. It is not race anymore, it is the persecution complex and attitude that causes their grief.

Some more of my thots on the panel:

Dove soap ad.  Racist? L
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Wed May 25, 2011 8:47 pm

Nhaiyel wrote:Even if their intentions were on the level, that a black woman just happened to be posed under the banter of "before" and a white woman under the banter of "after" does look very suspect. Whoever put together that photo should have caught the possible connotation before it went to print and done some last minute reediting, because to the passing eye it does seem to suggest that the black woman's skin is dirty and the white woman's skin is clean.

Definitely. Personally, I initially didn't think was the case when I first saw the add, but I could see how someone might be offended. If you're working in advertising, you need to be a little more careful.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Wed May 25, 2011 9:14 pm

Chris wrote:This ad is causing controversy. It features a black woman on the end labeled 'before,' a latin woman in the center, and a white woman on the other end labeled 'after.' The implication is that the black woman was dirty, the latin was cleaner (but not quite there), and the white woman was the end result of the wash.

What do you think?

http://gawker.com/5804724/dove-body-wash-strong-enough-to-turn-a-black-woman-white
    Dove soap ad.  Racist? Dovead46262102390

Dove Body Wash: Strong Enough to Turn a Black Woman White

Hamilton Nolan — Dove Body Wash: Strong Enough to Turn a Black Woman WhiteDove VisibleCare body wash: "Visibly more beautiful skin." Bye-bye black skin, hello white skin! (Scrub hard!) Can this ad possibly be real? Some people think it is! We've emailed Dove's representatives for confirmation, and we'll update with their reply. If real, this could be the most (unintentionally) racist skin care product ad in... about ten months.

UPDATE: It appears that the ad is real; commenters point out that the photo can be found on this Dove website, and others have told us they've seen it in magazines. We'll add any official response we receive from Dove.

UPDATE 2: We received the following statement from Edelman, Dove's PR firm:

"We believe that real beauty comes in many shapes, sizes, colors and ages and are committed to featuring realistic and attainable images of beauty in all our advertising. We are also dedicated to educating and encouraging all women and girls to build a positive relationship with beauty, to help raise self-esteem and to enable them to realize their full potential.

The ad is intended to illustrate the benefits of using Dove VisibleCare Body Wash, by making skin visibly more beautiful in just one week. All three women are intended to demonstrate the "after" product benefit. We do not condone any activity or imagery that intentionally insults any audience."

Okay, I don't know if this is racist or not (I mean obviously it can be seen that way, although I don't know if that was the intent of Dove at the time), but in reality THEY SHOULD HAVE FUCKING KNOWN BETTER! Who was the dumbass that allowed this ad to slip through the cracks? Who at Dove said "wow, what a great idea to have women of three different races represent our 'before and after' ad. Let's put the black woman on the left and the white woman on the right! Yeah, that'll be sweet!" They should be fired for dumbassery!
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Wed May 25, 2011 10:40 pm

Maybe this wasn't intentionally racist on Dove's end, but it was a careless & stupid oversight.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Thu May 26, 2011 12:19 am

Definitely not a well thought out ad!!!!! Don't think they intended it to be racist but the placement was not well thought out. Why not show all three women dirty and dishevelled in the before pic, then show the final one as the after pic?
    JM130ELM
    JM130ELM
    …is Necessary.
    …is Necessary.

Male
    Rep : 32

Post by JM130ELM Thu May 26, 2011 1:01 am

The ad was set up all wrong. All 3 of them should have been placed over the "after" panel if they weren't trying to imply anything.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 10:18 am