What would happen to the world if the Internet ceased to exist tomorrow? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What would happen to the world if the Internet ceased to exist tomorrow?

Go down 
+7
Hyacinth Girl
Alan Smithee
RedBedroom
Tony Marino
CeCe
Cheaps
Chris
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

What would happen to the world if the Internet ceased to exist tomorrow? Empty
PostSubject: What would happen to the world if the Internet ceased to exist tomorrow?   What would happen to the world if the Internet ceased to exist tomorrow? EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 7:57 am

Society lived fine without it up until approximately the late 1980s/early-middle 1990s, but how fast would the world readjust? How would you?
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Cheaps
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Cheaps

Female
Rep : 252

PostSubject: Re: What would happen to the world if the Internet ceased to exist tomorrow?   What would happen to the world if the Internet ceased to exist tomorrow? EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 8:47 am

i dont know bout rest of the world, but id adjust just fine... i've lived probably 85-90% of my life without the internet.

i would miss this place tho
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

PostSubject: Re: What would happen to the world if the Internet ceased to exist tomorrow?   What would happen to the world if the Internet ceased to exist tomorrow? EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 8:51 am

People would get things done. Dishes would be washed. Laundry would be folded. Floors would be mopped or vacuumed...

I'm not talking about me.
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male
Rep : 607

PostSubject: Re: What would happen to the world if the Internet ceased to exist tomorrow?   What would happen to the world if the Internet ceased to exist tomorrow? EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 9:53 am

Life would go on after people adjust to living without it.
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: What would happen to the world if the Internet ceased to exist tomorrow?   What would happen to the world if the Internet ceased to exist tomorrow? EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 11:15 am

It would be a huge adjustment for so many people who use the Internet for job related things. Think of all the jobs lost due to warehouses no longer needing to be staffed at places like Amazon. People that have one type of job would have to switch gears to get into jobs that the Internet had replaced.

It would be a couple years until any sense of normalcy would return.

I don't know what society's answer to people missing the social aspect of the Internet would be. Maybe when more people go back to landlines more and more, party lines would re-emerge.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: What would happen to the world if the Internet ceased to exist tomorrow?   What would happen to the world if the Internet ceased to exist tomorrow? EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 1:38 pm

cheaps wrote:
i dont know bout rest of the world, but id adjust just fine... i've lived probably 85-90% of my life without the internet.

i would miss this place tho

*Heavy sigh* Word.
Back to top Go down
Hyacinth Girl
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Hyacinth Girl

Female
Rep : 70

PostSubject: Re: What would happen to the world if the Internet ceased to exist tomorrow?   What would happen to the world if the Internet ceased to exist tomorrow? EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 1:41 pm

I'd have to revert to snail mail for keeping in touch with online friends, but one person I'd never be able to keep contact with due to present circumstances surrounding both our lives. So noooooooo! You can't take my internet away!!!! It's mine, mine, mine--gimme gimme!! big grin
Back to top Go down
DanaShelbyChancey
…is Significant.
…is Significant.
DanaShelbyChancey

Female
Rep : 10

PostSubject: Re: What would happen to the world if the Internet ceased to exist tomorrow?   What would happen to the world if the Internet ceased to exist tomorrow? EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 1:43 pm

I was born in 1955, so most of my life was lived sans internet.

The first thing occurs to me is, people would have to wait for things. Mail delivery, processing; everything would not be instantaneous the way it is now.

I was overhearing today, that applying for a job some places is done only over the 'net, they don't even meet the candidate. So "selling yourself" is a thing of the past. What about people who are better in person than on paper?
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: What would happen to the world if the Internet ceased to exist tomorrow?   What would happen to the world if the Internet ceased to exist tomorrow? EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 2:43 pm

Yes, it would be a diff paradigm - one that I lived in most of my life.

When I was a young man, we actually had pen pals. I was in the service writing to girls in England and we would send fotos thru the mail. Our version of social networking.

Here in the states, I spent more of my youth out at local gathering places, instead of sitting naked in my home gathering with ppl all over the world. You learn tact, how not to be so rude to others (as we see on some forum boards) when they are arms length from your nose.

Maybe I could get a consultant job somewhere teaching young ppl how to put paper letters in an envelope, seal it, write an address and put a stamp on it.

But, there will always be CB good buddy. My handle of course is Shale Stone.
Back to top Go down
Hyacinth Girl
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Hyacinth Girl

Female
Rep : 70

PostSubject: Re: What would happen to the world if the Internet ceased to exist tomorrow?   What would happen to the world if the Internet ceased to exist tomorrow? EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 2:47 pm

Shale wrote:

Maybe I could get a consultant job somewhere teaching young ppl how to put paper letters in an envelope, seal it, write an address and put a stamp on it.

They'll just whine about the paper cuts and have their Ipod earbuds in so far they won't be able to hear your instruction anyway. big grin

Shale wrote:

But, there will always be CB good buddy. My handle of course is Shale Stone.

And don't forget your 8-track tapes!
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: What would happen to the world if the Internet ceased to exist tomorrow?   What would happen to the world if the Internet ceased to exist tomorrow? EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 11:32 pm

I'd readjust just fine. The best years of my life were before the explosion of the world wide web.
Back to top Go down
TSJFan4Ever
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
TSJFan4Ever

Female
Rep : 78

PostSubject: Re: What would happen to the world if the Internet ceased to exist tomorrow?   What would happen to the world if the Internet ceased to exist tomorrow? EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 12:27 am

There's a postal strike looming and I just handed in an application and they'll be using the internet to input everything and so forth, so it wouldn't be that good for me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What would happen to the world if the Internet ceased to exist tomorrow?   What would happen to the world if the Internet ceased to exist tomorrow? Empty

Back to top Go down

What would happen to the world if the Internet ceased to exist tomorrow?
Page 1 of 1