CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
RedBedroom
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
Forgiveness Man
Chris
8 posters

A guy crowned prom queen

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

A guy crowned prom queen Empty A guy crowned prom queen

Post by Chris Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:13 am

So what do you think, should boys/girls be awarded the contrasting title of prom 'King' or 'Queen?'

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/wdbj7-prom-queen-20110527,0,4859749.story

A guy crowned prom queen at Blacksburg High School

Holly Pietrzak Weekend Anchor/Reporter
    5:16 p.m. EDT, May 27, 2011

BLACKSBURG, Va.—

Some Blacksburg High School students had a different choice for prom queen this year: the winner was a man.

Jake Boyer was senior class secretary, a choir member, editor of his school's literary magazine, and now prom queen.

"This was as much a social experiment as it was a fun thing to do," explained Boyer.

He's a well-known and outgoing student at Blacksburg High School who had a big announcement this past school year.

"I came out of the closet this year, and I already knew everyone at school was incredibly open about it," Boyer said.

He kept it a secret for a year, but his friends and family were immediately accepting. So, it wasn't a surprise when friends urged him to run for high school prom queen.

"He was like oh my goodness let's run with that," recalled Jake's friend Bailey Steele.

"This prom queen thing sort of became a manifestation of all right this is who I am. It's time to show it off," Boyer explained.

He was crowned Blacksburg High School's 2011 Prom Queen.

"Obviously everybody was more than willing to go with an openly gay male prom queen," he said.

Boyer dressed in drag as performer Lady Gaga.

"I was initially met with some skepticism and I met with them and said I want to do this."

"They actually decided about letting Jake being prom queen two weeks before prom, but they didn't tell anyone because they didn't want the media showing up or anything," explained Steele.

Boyer graduates soon and will attend Pace University in New York City for theatre.
    He'll always be most proud of how accepting everyone was of him at Blacksburg High School, and the moment he was crowned prom queen.

"More than anything, this experience just gave me hope for the future. Like, oh my gosh, this little town in the middle of Virginia is able to be this open,"

As for those who don't agree...

"I would like to paraphrase Lady Gaga when I say this is me. This is who I am. I was born this way," said Boyer.

NEWS7 also contacted Blacksburg High School Principal Michael Hurst.
    He declined to comment on the story and referred us to Boyer.
    He told us the freshman, sophomore and junior students were busy taking Standards of Learning tests.
    So, it's unclear if there was much opposition at the school.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

A guy crowned prom queen Empty Re: A guy crowned prom queen

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:00 am

I think it's kinda dumb. Not to mention, it totally reinforces the "gay guys aren't real men" stereotype. Don't see a point to it.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:02 am

That begs the question "What is a real man?" I don't think he was trying to make any sort of statement. He's in high school;
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:44 am

Rockbird wrote:That begs the question "What is a real man?" I don't think he was trying to make any sort of statement. He's in high school;
    Never said he was trying to make a statement. I said the idea of it all just sounded dumb and pointless. Making a guy prom queen? lol Just sounds dumb. But hey, it's modern high school. Guess it fits. Razz
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:01 pm

I don't really see the point in it. If running for prom king was not available for males, I would be supportive of it. But, he had a gender appropriate option.

Sometimes things like this set the adults in charge up for a fall. They are going to be pegged as intolerant if they oppose in most cases like this.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:50 pm

Seems a bit like mockery IMO. His classmates were willing to vote him queen...ha, ha...laugh, laugh. Would they have voted him king?
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:44 pm

They kept it a secret so it wasn't a grab for attention. If they hadn't, every news crew from surrounding states & probably a few of the major networks would have been there covering it. He acknowledged that it was also a social experiment. He won, so the majority of kids must have been fine with it. It's interesting to see people moving away from preconceived ideas & specifically defined gender roles. An unusual move but if this is what they wanted I don't see any real harm done. The high school prom is meant to be enjoyed before they step out into the real world & hopefully these kids did.

What amazes me most is that this happened in Blacksburg,VA. That completely blows my mind.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:53 pm

LOL. Whatever.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:15 am

Sounds just like what happened on Glee when Kurt was crowned prom queen. Would they have crowned a girl prom king?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:18 pm