Should Men Be Allowed to Father Children After They're Dead?  Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Should Men Be Allowed to Father Children After They're Dead?

Go down 
+7
Forgiveness Man
Shale
JM130ELM
CeCe
Alan Smithee
Nystyle709
Chris
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

Should Men Be Allowed to Father Children After They're Dead?  Empty
PostSubject: Should Men Be Allowed to Father Children After They're Dead?    Should Men Be Allowed to Father Children After They're Dead?  EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 8:43 am

Developments in fertility treatment have made it possible for many people to have babies who would not have been able to a generation ago. Now, even dead people. Some argue that if they are entitled to donate their loved one's organs they should be able to use his sperm to bring a baby into the world. What do you think?

http://healthland.time.com/2011/06/03/should-men-be-allowed-to-father-children-after-theyre-dead/?xid=rss-topstories&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+time%2Ftopstories+%28TIME%3A+Top+Stories%29

Quote :
By Bonnie Rochman Friday, June 3, 2011

Fertility-treatment innovations mean that all sorts of people who would not have been able to have a baby a generation ago are now able to bring life into the world. Now, some are arguing the ranks of the newly fertile should include dead people.

In Australia, a woman was granted permission last month to use her dead husband's sperm in an in-vitro fertilization (IVF) attempt to create a child. In Israel, grieving grandparents are petitioning a court to allow them to use their dead son's sperm to conceive a grandchild. And in California, a woman is due in three months with her husband's child — even though her husband died not long before she got pregnant.

The rules of post-humous baby-making are only now being written, but it's a dicey undertaking because individual situations vary so widely. It's not uncommon for soldiers on the brink of a dangerous deployment to freeze sperm so that their wives can have a child should they die. And patients diagnosed with cancer are increasingly turning to fertility preservation to ensure they can become parents. But what happens when the patient dies, as in the California case in which the husband froze sperm prior to cancer treatment and indicated his desire for his wife to bear his child? And how to rule on the Israeli grandparents' quest for a grandchild from their son who was injured last year and died after two weeks in a coma?

“That's much less straightforward,” says Theresa Erickson, the San Diego attorney for the pregnant California woman. “Creating a grandchild is much different than creating a child. Imagine what the child will think: My dad's dead and he never even knew I existed. It's a pretty sticky ethical and moral dilemma.”

Erickson's client had little problem gaining access to her husband's sperm; a California law governing the posthumous use of sperm requires a fetus be in utero within two years of the death, assuming the donor gave consent before he died. Erickson is petitioning for her client's husband's name to be listed on the birth certificate.

In Israel, 27-year-old Ohad Ben-Yaakov wasn't married or in a committed relationship. But his parents, Mali and Dudi Ben-Yaakov, had his sperm extracted and are waiting for a ruling from the country's attorney general to find out whether they can use IVF to impregnate a surrogate with his child. “If we were entitled to donate the organs of our son why are we not entitled to make use of his sperm in order to bring offspring to the world?” they asked in Haaretz, an Israeli newspaper.

Israel is already IVF-crazy; health insurance pays for as many IVF cycles as needed to achieve the birth of up to two babies. In 2003, it codified guidelines surrounding posthumous reproduction that allow a spouse or partner to use a dead man's sperm unless he had specified that was unacceptable.

According to Tablet Magazine:

Quote :
“This notion of presumed consent, that we can assume that a man would want to have genetic children after his death, that was really pushing the envelope at the time in comparison with other countries,” says Vardit Ravitsky, an Israeli-born assistant professor in the Bioethics Programs at the Université de Montréal Faculty of Medicine. But the ministry refused to allow a man's mother or father similar access, concluding that parents have no legal standing regarding their children's fertility, “[n]ot in their lifetime, and certainly not when they are dead.”

According to Tablet Magazine:

“This notion of presumed consent, that we can assume that a man would want to have genetic children after his death, that was really pushing the envelope at the time in comparison with other countries,” says Vardit Ravitsky, an Israeli-born assistant professor in the Bioethics Programs at the Université de Montréal Faculty of Medicine. But the ministry refused to allow a man's mother or father similar access, concluding that parents have no legal standing regarding their children's fertility, “[n]ot in their lifetime, and certainly not when they are dead.”
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Nystyle709
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Should Men Be Allowed to Father Children After They're Dead?    Should Men Be Allowed to Father Children After They're Dead?  EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 8:54 am

Uhhh, I'm extremely iffy on this one. I'm leaning towards no.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Should Men Be Allowed to Father Children After They're Dead?    Should Men Be Allowed to Father Children After They're Dead?  EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 9:19 am

I don't think it's as controversial if the man had sperm on deposit at a sperm bank but swooping in to harvest his seed from his corpse? Maybe by his widow.
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

PostSubject: Re: Should Men Be Allowed to Father Children After They're Dead?    Should Men Be Allowed to Father Children After They're Dead?  EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 9:36 am

If it's something he wanted & planned for ahead of time I don't see a problem. It's just a little weird. Maybe he didn't want kids. There should be some kind of respect for his wishes. It also seems like a violation of the guys rights even though he's dead, it's still his sperm. This just feels all kinds of wrong to me.
Back to top Go down
JM130ELM
…is Necessary.
…is Necessary.
JM130ELM

Male
Rep : 32

PostSubject: Re: Should Men Be Allowed to Father Children After They're Dead?    Should Men Be Allowed to Father Children After They're Dead?  EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 11:04 am

No. The whole thing sounds warped, like something to do only because it were possible. Let a living, consenting man donate his seed.
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: Should Men Be Allowed to Father Children After They're Dead?    Should Men Be Allowed to Father Children After They're Dead?  EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 11:14 am

CeCe wrote:
If it's something he wanted & planned for ahead of time I don't see a problem. It's just a little weird. Maybe he didn't want kids. There should be some kind of respect for his wishes. It also seems like a violation of the guys rights even though he's dead, it's still his sperm. This just feels all kinds of wrong to me.
co-signs

Even tho it is possible on a couple of occasions of my youth that I have spread my genetic material to an offspring (being raised by others) and it really wouldn't matter to me personally after I'm dead, there needs to be guarantees that it is a willfull donation - not just taken by someone else.
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: Should Men Be Allowed to Father Children After They're Dead?    Should Men Be Allowed to Father Children After They're Dead?  EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 11:37 am

No, I don't think you should rob corpses. Razz
Back to top Go down
AtownPeep
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
AtownPeep

Female
Rep : 39

PostSubject: Re: Should Men Be Allowed to Father Children After They're Dead?    Should Men Be Allowed to Father Children After They're Dead?  EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 8:28 pm

That's real weird and I'm gonna say no. I don't even like the idea of dead men who froze their sperm having it inseminated in women after they die. Let living men conceive.
Back to top Go down
Marc™
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
Marc™

Male
Rep : 212

PostSubject: Re: Should Men Be Allowed to Father Children After They're Dead?    Should Men Be Allowed to Father Children After They're Dead?  EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 9:43 pm

Eh.

Whatever.

A shame that the father and child wouldn't ever know each other, but hey....
Back to top Go down
TSJFan4Ever
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
TSJFan4Ever

Female
Rep : 78

PostSubject: Re: Should Men Be Allowed to Father Children After They're Dead?    Should Men Be Allowed to Father Children After They're Dead?  EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 3:45 am

alan smithee wrote:
I don't think it's as controversial if the man had sperm on deposit at a sperm bank but swooping in to harvest his seed from his corpse? Maybe by his widow.

CeCe wrote:

ITA with both of you. It just just feels wrong to me, unless the guy has already given permission and donated sperm. That case in Israel sounds ... well... creepy to me. It's like they're trying to replace their son with a grandchild. What are they goign to say to the child and how will that child feel, knowing the circumstance of his or her birth?
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: Should Men Be Allowed to Father Children After They're Dead?    Should Men Be Allowed to Father Children After They're Dead?  EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 8:31 pm

I agree with those that said this should be done only if the man has given consent prior. I could see a man who wanted to give his wife a child, or a second child, (so the siblings are not half siblings) after his untimely death.

But ONLY when permission is given.

There is actually another case involving grandparents. Only the guy left behind a wife and it is the wife that is protesting the guy's mother from taking his sperm for a surrogate. I think it is in America. I saw it on a program about a year ago. That is really messed up and most likely a want by this woman stemmed from the grieving process.

Last edited by RedBedroom on Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TSJFan4Ever
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
TSJFan4Ever

Female
Rep : 78

PostSubject: Re: Should Men Be Allowed to Father Children After They're Dead?    Should Men Be Allowed to Father Children After They're Dead?  EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 10:03 pm

Yeah - ITA with you on this, Red. Sounds more like the grandparents want to replace the son who was lost, thinking that a grandchild will do that. It really isn't right and I don't blame the wife for protesting!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should Men Be Allowed to Father Children After They're Dead?    Should Men Be Allowed to Father Children After They're Dead?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1