CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+3
CeCe
Shale
Chris
7 posters

Mom Confesses 'Why I Don't Like My Child' in Magazine

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Mom Confesses 'Why I Don't Like My Child' in Magazine Empty Mom Confesses 'Why I Don't Like My Child' in Magazine

Post by Chris Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:20 am

http://www.parentdish.com/2011/06/09/why-i-dont-like-my-child/?ncid=webmail

Mom Confesses 'Why I Don't Like My Child' in Magazine
    by Lesley Kennedy
    Jun 9th 2011 11:00AM

It might be the most damning thing a mother can utter: "I've never liked my child."

But in a column in the current issue of Redbook magazine, a woman, writing under the assumed name of Jennifer Rabiner, says she was "basically repelled by my own child."

A mother of two girls, Rabiner, 41, continued to keep her identity hidden in an interview with "Today."

"I thought that she would be vivacious and smart and loving and make intense eye contact," she tells the show of her first daughter, called "Sophie" in the magazine. "That was just not what happened."

Rabiner tells "Today" Sophie was a difficult baby.

"She slept very poorly. She ate very poorly. She did not make eye contact," she tells the show. "She did not meet the milestones that all the books that I read indicated that she should be making at the various ages."

Not every baby develops at the same rate, but Rabiner tells "Today" she doesn't think her expectations were too high.

"I don't think it's too high an expectation to expect your child to meet your milestones -- her developmental milestones," she tells the show. "It's not too high an expectation to expect her to sleep, to expect her to eat, to expect her to interact."

However, Rabiner writes in Redbook, when her second daughter, "Lilah," was born, she was "blown away by overwhelming Mommy Love."

"Lilah was exactly the baby I'd envisioned: strong and healthy, with a penetrating gaze," she writes. "She nursed vigorously and smiled and laughed easily. She talked early and often and, even as a toddler, befriended everyone she met. When I hugged her, she squeezed back hard, and I felt my own heart beating in two bodies at once."

At the age of 7, "Today" reports, Sophie was diagnosed with a growth hormone deficiency which had caused her slow development, and treatments provided the family with a "breakthrough," Rabiner says.

"It gave me a new perspective on her challenges," she tells the show. "It made me gentler with her struggles and it also gave me more patience. It made me feel like instead of me against her, it was us against this diagnosis and I felt like we were on the same team."

Today, Rabiner writes, Sophie is in "a pretty good place."

"I watch her sometimes, looking for clues of the emotional scarring I fear I've inflicted, but I see none," she writes. "Instead, she takes running leaps into my arms, her strong legs squeezing my middle in her signature 'cobra hug.' Do we see eye to eye? Almost never. But do I try to prop her up every single day anyway? Yes, I do. After all, I'm her mom."
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Mom Confesses 'Why I Don't Like My Child' in Magazine Empty Re: Mom Confesses 'Why I Don't Like My Child' in Magazine

Post by Shale Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:04 am

It is a shame with the first indication a child is not developing within normal parameters that a pediatrician doesn't look for the reason. Reading this I immediately thot, autism. Turns out it was another malady, but there is usually some reason why a child does not respond naturally as any mammalian puppy would.

At least it has come to light and obvious damage not noted.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Mom Confesses 'Why I Don't Like My Child' in Magazine Empty Re: Mom Confesses 'Why I Don't Like My Child' in Magazine

Post by CeCe Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:14 am

Shale wrote: Reading this I immediately thot, autism.

The lack of eye contact made me think the same thing at first.

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:08 am

In my opinion, this woman is a crazy bitch, now I"ve never been a parent but I'd think, especially with the knowledge we have now of all the couples who can't have kids, and then all the women who miscarry, and all the ones who have severely disabled and handicapped kids, that your only expectations would be for it to be a healthy, happy baby. And how...I can't even think of the word, she hates her daughter until she finds out 'oh she has a disorder that made her like this, NOW she's okay, NOW I like her', thumbs down bitch-slapped shake sense n2u
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:10 am

It's a little sick that she didn't love her daughter until she found out she had a mental problem.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:27 pm

Wow. Craziness. But I've heard of similar stories before.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:55 pm

I saw this on the Today show the other day. While I don't see how she could have felt that way, I applaud her honesty because it is something that does happen.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 9:42 pm