CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+8
CatEyes10736
Kral
Nystyle709
Supernova
Forgiveness Man
Chris
DanaShelbyChancey
Jason B.
12 posters

Americans Prefer Boys to Girls, Just as They Did in 1941

Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Americans Prefer Boys to Girls, Just as They Did in 1941 Empty Americans Prefer Boys to Girls, Just as They Did in 1941

Post by Jason B. Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:43 pm

Gallup showed that if Americans were to have only one child, 40% would prefer a boy while 28% would prefer a girl.

The younger generation aged 18-29 are the most likely to prefer a boy at 54% vs a girl at 27%.

Americans Prefer Boys to Girls, Just as They Did in 1941 7kwfywmn_u6kcfepptmdqa

Americans Prefer Boys to Girls, Just as They Did in 1941 Bbbnbvnsouk62jk3mbin2q

Americans Prefer Boys to Girls, Just as They Did in 1941
    DanaShelbyChancey
    DanaShelbyChancey
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Female
    Rep : 10

Americans Prefer Boys to Girls, Just as They Did in 1941 Empty Re: Americans Prefer Boys to Girls, Just as They Did in 1941

Post by DanaShelbyChancey Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:48 pm

My parents were the weirdos in 1955, they were agreed to have only one child, and they wanted a girl. They got it!

I find it appalling today that when a girl is born, some idiot makes a remark like "maybe next time" as if the birth of a girl is some failure.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Americans Prefer Boys to Girls, Just as They Did in 1941 Empty Re: Americans Prefer Boys to Girls, Just as They Did in 1941

Post by Chris Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:46 pm

I guess I'm lucky because both times I got what I wanted. A lot of it just has to do with traditions and namesakes, I think. Baby girls usually don't grow up to carry on the family name. That sort of thing.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:06 pm

Who cares what people want. As long as they don't do anything unethical to get what they want, I don't see the issue.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:19 pm

The whole thing pisses me off, what, are we suddenly the new China? Would these parents be happy if they could legally kill their girls to make room for boys being the first born and maybe only children?
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:35 pm

Supernova wrote:Would these parents be happy if they could legally kill their girls to make room for boys being the first born and maybe only children?

Can't they already, if they really wanted to?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:00 pm

I know I would totally prefer a boy if I could have only one child.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:01 pm

Supernova wrote:The whole thing pisses me off, what, are we suddenly the new China? Would these parents be happy if they could legally kill their girls to make room for boys being the first born and maybe only children?

Calm down, it ain't that serious. They simply asked a question as to which one they'd prefer. I'm sure none of the people asked would kill their child because it wasn't what he/she would have hope for.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:59 pm

Well why are the girls treated like the leftovers, the rejects, because they get pregnant insteaed of impregnating someone? Because when they go through puberty they get emotional whereas the boys just get horny and destory things?
    Kral
    Kral
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 30

Post by Kral Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:28 pm

What is important is having a healthy child, and loving that child for who he or she is, regardless of boy or girl.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:51 am

Supernova wrote:Well why are the girls treated like the leftovers, the rejects, because they get pregnant insteaed of impregnating someone? Because when they go through puberty they get emotional whereas the boys just get horny and destory things?

LOL. For someone who likes to reject the societal generalizations of girls and boys, you damn sure seem to perpetrate your own. ALL boys get horny and destroy things and ALL girls are rejects if they get pregnant huh? Me, or anyone who prefers to have a child of a certain gender is JUST that. A preference. Everyone has them and it doesn't have to stop at their kid. It doesn't mean that if the kid doesn't come out the sex you want it to, he/she will be rejected. This ain't China. I will love my child no matter what I have. If God would let me have my way, I'd rather have sons than daughters. It's that simple.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:52 pm

Chris wrote:I guess I'm lucky because both times I got what I wanted. A lot of it just has to do with traditions and namesakes, I think. Baby girls usually don't grow up to carry on the family name. That sort of thing.

That's probably one of the biggest reasons why. Gotta uphold that mighty patriarchal family name, and a married daughter no longer represents her birth family, she and her children "belong" to her husbands.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:37 pm

Except today, more women aren't taking their husbands' names, and even in the 40s there were a lot of women who at least worked under their own names, not their husbands', I sure as hell wouldn't, so that idea goes out the window, so what's the next reason?
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:15 am

My Mom and I wanted a girl SOOOOO much when my sister-in-law was pregnant. We all thought the baby was a boy. When I found out she was a girl, I couldn't have been happier. I'd have loved a boy just as much, but for the first one, we both really wanted a girl.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:51 pm

It stops mattering after you have one of each.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:00 am

Supernova wrote:Well why are the girls treated like the leftovers, the rejects, because they get pregnant insteaed of impregnating someone? Because when they go through puberty they get emotional whereas the boys just get horny and destory things?

Heck if I know. When you stop seeing a child as the gift that he/she is, you end up in some strange places.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:17 am

NY is right. It's ludacris to get your bowels in an uproar because people express a preference.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:19 am

Alan Smithee wrote:NY is right. It's ludacris to get your bowels in an uproar because people express a preference.

Yet almost every single American does it.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:17 pm

Supernova wrote:Except today, more women aren't taking their husbands' names, and even in the 40s there were a lot of women who at least worked under their own names, not their husbands', I sure as hell wouldn't, so that idea goes out the window, so what's the next reason?

Because that's what they WANT. What is so hard for you to understand about that?
    RiteDiva
    RiteDiva
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 8

Post by RiteDiva Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:10 pm

I prefer boys, is it really all that awful? confused
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:48 pm

I think a big question is WHY are boys preferred? Because on the surface it just looks like the girls are being punished for being born girls, like 'oh, we didn't want you but we'll take you anyway' or at least that's what the more civilized parents do about it, others...there was a case on TLC once about feral children, one was a girl in Russia, her parents had wanted a boy so they threw her away and she was raised by dogs. And I knew this girl whose parents had wanted a boy and they left her body scarred severely as her punishment for not being born a boy. Oddly enough you never hear about psycho parents treating their boys that way for not being born girls.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:55 pm

*sighs*
    DanaShelbyChancey
    DanaShelbyChancey
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Female

Post by DanaShelbyChancey Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:46 am

Preferring to have one gender over another is ok, if you just want that gender because you feel it is easier to raise, or you just want to be the parent of one gender over another.

But preferring one over the other because someone feels "boys are better than girls" is abhorrent.

I know of a woman who apologized to her husband while she was on the delivery table, for having a girl instead of the boy he wanted! That is where it must end.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:45 pm

Indeeeeeed! And I can't figure out....I can get why fathers want boys, that typical stuff, but I can't get why mothers would want boys more than girls...my own mother has pointed out it's harder with boys because you as a mother have never been one and do not understand what it's like to be them and can't understand a lot of the stuff they're going through. So why would mothers want more children that they have a lesser chance of relating to?

One reason I'd want girls is because they need somebody to relate to them and nobody can be bothered with that because sabes que, they get emotional and they're whiners...so ignore them completely and praise the boys for not having a care in the world?

I remember what it was like not having anybody in my corner, my sisters were grown, married and gone, I was just raised with a brother, nobody got what was wrong with me, everybody complained I was always in a bad mood, why didn't I smile more? Why wasn't I happy? Blah blah blah. I remember that so I would never put my daughters through that because I still remember what it was like, so if I had daughters who when they hit their spurting point, were like I was at that age, they'd have somebody who knew EXACTLY what they were going through and they wouldn't be treated like 'oh nobody has this problem except YOU, why are you so annoying when everyone else is normal?'
    DanaShelbyChancey
    DanaShelbyChancey
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Female

Post by DanaShelbyChancey Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:33 pm

If you bring another factor into it, boys are more prone to autism, ADHD, and a whole host of other things that are real chances parents take when they have a kid.

People tell me they would prefer to have boys because they don't get pregnant, but they are more likely to get into legal scrapes.

Any way you look it it, having a kid means you are taking on huge challenges.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 9:23 am