CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

3 posters

Prayers for Bobby

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Prayers for Bobby Empty Prayers for Bobby

Post by RedBedroom Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:57 pm

Has anyone seen this?

It is about Bobby, who was a young gay male, and his parents, Mom especially, thought he could be cured or fixed by understanding God's plan and how homosexuality is wrong.

I watched it a long time ago, and just rewatched it. Both times, I left being so pissed at the family. I feel like they all decided to take the reins on being so into helping gay youth that it was as if we are supposed to be sympathetic to them or something.

Given it is a true story, I should probably try to find a book about it, but still, I think this family is shit.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Prayers for Bobby Empty Re: Prayers for Bobby

Post by Supernova Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:53 am

He killed himself by jumping off a bridge, right? I never saw that movie, I saw the ads and first of all couldn't believe how bad Sigourney Weaver looked, and second, yeah, I gotta agree, she came off as something of a self-pitying bitch.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:09 pm

Yeah, he did jump off the bridge. That is just over half way through the movie after he spent about a year living in the situation that his own family couldn't look at him without disgust. Then after he has been dead for a while, Mom starts to see the light and the family become crusaders for gay youth.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:18 am

Unfortunately it seems something drastic of the such has to happen sometimes before people step up for what they should've in the first place.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:46 am

Yes. I saw this movie when it aired on Lifetime. Very sad. I also remember when the lady whose son committed suicide used to appear on the afternoon talkshows in the 80s and 90s. On one particular talkshow, I forget which, she was there on the same panel with the Fred Phelps/Westboro clan. They were telling this woman, to her face, that her son was burning in hell.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 3:28 pm