CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
Nhaiyel
RedBedroom
Nystyle709
Chris
8 posters

Parents getting their child's tongue clipped to halt a lisp.

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Parents getting their child's tongue clipped to halt a lisp. Empty Parents getting their child's tongue clipped to halt a lisp.

Post by Chris Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:21 am

If your toddler had a tip at the end of his or her tongue that caused him/her to speak with a lisp, or speech impediment, would you get it clipped to stop it?

Personal note: this happened to me. I have no recollection of it, but my mom said that when I was about two or three years old, I spoke with a lisp, and that the doctors recommended that my tongue be clipped. She said I screamed and cried for days over the pain, but in the end, I'm glad they did it.

Again, if your child were developing a lisp, is this something you'd do?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Parents getting their child's tongue clipped to halt a lisp. Empty Re: Parents getting their child's tongue clipped to halt a lisp.

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:02 am

If it would ultimately help him, yes.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Parents getting their child's tongue clipped to halt a lisp. Empty Re: Parents getting their child's tongue clipped to halt a lisp.

Post by RedBedroom Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:09 am

Honestly, I've never heard about this. If doctors thought it was best and a speech therapist thought that was the only way to successfully handle it, I would. Going through life with a lisp has to be difficult.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:34 am

My nephew is going through the same ordeal now. My sister is planning on getting that rectified very soon, and yes I would as well.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male

Post by Chris Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:22 pm

RedBedroom wrote:Honestly, I've never heard about this. If doctors thought it was best and a speech therapist thought that was the only way to successfully handle it, I would. Going through life with a lisp has to be difficult.

I agree Red. At another forum, I read once people objecting to having this done to a young child, but I can't see a logical reason why not. It's the best way to correct the situation.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:29 pm

RedBedroom wrote:Honestly, I've never heard about this. If doctors thought it was best and a speech therapist thought that was the only way to successfully handle it, I would. Going through life with a lisp has to be difficult.

I've never heard of it either. Sounds a little strange to me. I would definitely be seeing more than one doctor and getting several opinions about that idea.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:20 pm

I've never heard of this either. I would have to know a lot more about the procedure.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:26 pm

It is basically a minor birth defect, where someone is born with a small growth at the end of their tongue, which causes them to have a speech impediment …reminiscent to Cindy Brady. Doctors can clip it off, and no longer will they have a lisp.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:27 am

This is what it looks like.

Parents getting their child's tongue clipped to halt a lisp. Tongue

Some babies are born with the end of their tongue attached to the bottom of their mouths, and it creates a lisp when they talk...and yeah I would get it clipped.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:29 am

Of course the next question though is what could go wrong during the procedure? A slip? Infection? With even minor surgeries there are risks involved.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:50 am

Never heard of it with a lisp but yes - I'd probably correct it. My friend said that all three of her kids had to have... shoot - it was some kind of minor surgery in which that part under your tongue that attaches it to the mouth is clipped to allow more movement. I guess kids born with thie condition aren't able to lift their tongue to the roof of their mouth. She said it was really simple and the kids hardly fussed and there was almost no blood - said getting her daughters' ears pierced caused more fuss.

I guess if it's not corrected, the children have a really hard time learning to talk. Imagine trying to talk without lifting your tongue?
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male

Post by Chris Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:46 am

Supernova wrote:Of course the next question though is what could go wrong during the procedure? A slip? Infection? With even minor surgeries there are risks involved.

There's undoubtedly some risk for something to go wrong, but it's probably a minor one; I think it's worth chancing to correct the problem.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 5:41 am