The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs

Go down 
+2
wants2laugh
Supernova
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs Empty
PostSubject: The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs   The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 2:29 am

I wanted to get everyone's opinion about this. A few months back on a board for the original When a Stranger Calls movie, the question came up about how old Jill is supposed to be. The main thing one person pointed at was that Jill didn't call her parents after the killer started calling her. And my response was why would she? If it were me in her position, I wouldn't call my parents, it was a matter for the police and that's who she called. In all the years I'd heard the story and seen the movie it never ONCE occurred to me 'why doesn't she call her parents?', what good would that have done? That part NEVER seemed odd to me, what's everyone else think?
Back to top Go down
wants2laugh
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
wants2laugh

Female
Rep : 87

PostSubject: Re: The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs   The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 2:38 am

One thing to remember is that there were no cell phones back then. Calling her parents would have meant knowing where they were. It is quite possible that since it was supposed to be a weekend, that her parents also had gone out to dinner/movie etc. I dont remember if she called a friend, which in my opinion is more likely for a teenage girl. Back then before caller ID, we often received crank calls and heavy breathers--- I remember a guy said something to my teen sister and she replied back, "come on pal, i see better stuff than that on TV". I think that it was a "disturbing" situation for Carol Kane, but she never really thought it was a dangerous one.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs   The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 2:41 am

Not immediately anyway. And other people have talked about that, saying they would just forget the kids and run since going to check the kids would just be stupid and get you killed. I pointed out not necessarily because she didn't have any proof he was upstairs.

A few years back there was a special on TV where a woman who studied killers talked about the real Hannibal Lectors and that they were not charismatic and charming like in the movies, she talked about one who called her late at night and said he was outside her front window, to come look. He knew where in the house she was and he could describe things in her house and kept saying he was outside the front window, come look, and she pulled back the curtain and he said 'gotcha', he was locked up somewhere but with access to a phone and able to make it seem like he was right there.
Back to top Go down
wants2laugh
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
wants2laugh

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs   The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 2:46 am

I also should have said that most people only had one phone line in the house too. It wasnt until the next decade that teens started getting their own lines and later people added them in offices for dial up modems. So theoretically, if he was calling, she was MORE safe than if he wasnt. Atleast that is what she would have thought if she didnt know that there was a phone upstairs
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs   The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 2:53 am

That is true, this movie being a few years before cell phones and about a decade or more before they were a convenient size, as long as he was on the phone with her he couldn't do anything to her. It was once he hung up that she was in danger.
Back to top Go down
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
(Oh!) Rob Petrie

Male
Rep : 62

PostSubject: Re: The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs   The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 3:12 am

Can I just say that you guys just gave me extreme nightmare fuel?

It's 2 AM here, and now I can't sleep.

OH, and now we're getting a thunderstorm.

BRB, crying under my bed.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs   The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 3:13 am

LMAO! We got a storm here too! And it's 1 here!
Back to top Go down
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
(Oh!) Rob Petrie

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs   The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 3:15 am

I turned my lights on. sad I need a hunky fireman or cop to come share my bed. big grin

That'd make me feel better!
Back to top Go down
Cheaps
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Cheaps

Female
Rep : 252

PostSubject: Re: The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs   The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 3:28 am

(Oh!) Rob Petrie wrote:
I turned my lights on. sad I need a hunky fireman or cop to come share my bed. big grin

poor rob, here ya go..

The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs Nyc_firefighter6
Back to top Go down
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
(Oh!) Rob Petrie

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs   The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 3:29 am

*mine*
Back to top Go down
Cheaps
Cheaps

Female
Rep : 252

PostSubject: Re: The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs   The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 3:35 am

He's all yours Wink
Back to top Go down
TSJFan4Ever
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
TSJFan4Ever

Female
Rep : 78

PostSubject: Re: The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs   The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 3:44 am

almost midnight here and Im really glad I didn't know this story during my babysitting days. Heard it years later and yeah - never occured to me that the girl would have called her parents. She was old enough to be babysitting so why would they assume she'd call her parents - more likely her friends at that age. It's not like she was 12 or 13.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs   The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 3:46 am

Exactly, I don't think it was ever said in the movie how old she was but Carol Kane was 28, and in the movie 7 years pass and she has two small children, I had her pegged at 17, I think that age fits.
Back to top Go down
wants2laugh
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
wants2laugh

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs   The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 3:55 am

(Oh!) Rob Petrie wrote:

Find one with a brother for me! cheers (rah)
Back to top Go down
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
(Oh!) Rob Petrie

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs   The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 4:31 am

Sure, but you gotta wear that pom pom outfit. big grin
Back to top Go down
wants2laugh
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
wants2laugh

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs   The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 4:34 am

was hoping to wear the handcuffs! ROFLMAO!
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs   The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 8:14 am

"Sticks and stones may break my bones but leather and chains excite me."
Back to top Go down
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
(Oh!) Rob Petrie

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs   The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 1:47 pm

Has anybody ever seen the films Black Christmas or Amusement? They're both based on this tale.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs   The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 2:00 pm

I got Black Christmas recorded off TCM's Underground last December but I never got around to watching it.
Back to top Go down
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
(Oh!) Rob Petrie

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs   The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 2:01 pm

Black Christmas is supposed to be the most frightening. I just watched the babysitter scene in Amusement... they did a damn good job.

They went with the clown-variant, where a scary clown doll turns out to be the killer.
Back to top Go down
wants2laugh
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
wants2laugh

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs   The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 3:43 pm

I dont remember Black Christmas, but i know that when it came out, it was really publicized and banned in some places. There was a huge movement against it, which probably led to horror fans gravitating towards it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs   The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs Empty

Back to top Go down

The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs
Page 1 of 1