CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+2
Alan Smithee
Chris
6 posters

Requiring immigrants to speak English 'breaches human rights,' claims couple as they launch legal bid to overturn ruling

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Requiring immigrants to speak English 'breaches human rights,' claims couple as they launch legal bid to overturn ruling Empty Requiring immigrants to speak English 'breaches human rights,' claims couple as they launch legal bid to overturn ruling

Post by Chris Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:19 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2019056/UK-immigration-Speaking-English-requirement-breaches-human-rights-claim-couple.html

Requiring immigrants to speak English 'breaches human rights,' claims couple as they launch legal bid to overturn ruling
    By Daily Mail Reporter
    Last updated at 12:58 PM on 27th July 2011

A new immigration rule requiring people to be able to speak English to move to the UK to be with their spouse is a breach of human rights, a court heard today.

A couple have launched a judicial review at the High Court to challenge the rule, which they claim contravenes their rights to a family life, their right to marry and constitutes discrimination.

British citizen Rashida Chapti, 54, and husband Vali Chapti, 57, are applying for him to join her in the UK.

Requiring immigrants to speak English 'breaches human rights,' claims couple as they launch legal bid to overturn ruling Article-2019056-0D2CD19400000578-496_468x304
    Legal fight: Rashida Chapti, holding a picture of her children, has gone to the High Court to fight a ruling that her husband Vali must learn English before he will be allowed to remain in the UK

The couple have been married for 37 years and have six children together. Mr Chapti is an Indian national and does not speak, read or write English.

Mrs Chapti has reportedly been travelling between India and Leicester for around 15 years but has now applied for her husband to come and live in the UK with her.

But under new immigration rules announced by Home Secretary Theresa May in June 2010, he cannot do so due to a new English language requirement for migrants applying to come or stay in the UK as a spouse.

The rule, which came into force in November last year, is thought to be part of the Government's pledge to reduce net migration.

But the Chaptis, along with two other couples, have launched proceedings to contest it.

At the High Court sitting in Birmingham, Manjit Gill QC, representing the couple, told the court the requirement was a breach of their human rights.

He said it contravenes several Articles of the European Convention on Human Rights - Article 8, the right to family life, Article 12, the right to marry, and Article 14, to be free of discrimination.

Requiring immigrants to speak English 'breaches human rights,' claims couple as they launch legal bid to overturn ruling Article-2019056-0CDEFAF200000578-903_233x423
    Decision: Theresa May made the ruling that migrants applying to stay in the UK must learn English during June 2010

Mr Gill said: 'The rule is particularly striking in that it prevents mere residence even though one of the parties is fully entitled to live in this country.'

He said the rule discriminated against people on the grounds of nationality and 'race discrimination'.

He went on: 'There may be reasons, where the Secretary of State is concerned, that for those who are already here, before he allows them to gain a benefit such as indefinite leave to remain, or citizenship, that he is entitled to ask that they show some understanding of the language and some knowledge of life in the UK so that at that stage integration is assisted.

'It may be that the Secretary of State is able to show at that point that such a requirement is proportionate interference with the rights in question.'

But he said the measure prevented people who are British citizens and settled in the country from living with their partners, adding: 'That vice is compounded by the fact that the measure does this on grounds which are blatantly, admittedly, racially discriminatory.'
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Requiring immigrants to speak English 'breaches human rights,' claims couple as they launch legal bid to overturn ruling Empty Re: Requiring immigrants to speak English 'breaches human rights,' claims couple as they launch legal bid to overturn ruling

Post by Alan Smithee Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:39 am

I don't think they should be required to set foot in the door but they should if they want to stay.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Requiring immigrants to speak English 'breaches human rights,' claims couple as they launch legal bid to overturn ruling Empty Re: Requiring immigrants to speak English 'breaches human rights,' claims couple as they launch legal bid to overturn ruling

Post by CeCe Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:42 am

Alan Smithee wrote:I don't think they should be required to set foot in the door but they should if they want to stay.

co-signs
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:41 am

Eh.....I don't think other countries make it a requirement for you to learn the native language in order for you to live there. At best, there should'nt be any special accomadations made for people who refuse to learn the language and they'll see how hard life will be for them to not know it......but I'm going to fall short in saying it should be MANDATORY to learn it.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:31 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:Eh.....I don't think other countries make it a requirement for you to learn the native language in order for you to live there. At best, there should'nt be any special accomadations made for people who refuse to learn the language and they'll see how hard life will be for them to not know it......but I'm going to fall short in saying it should be MANDATORY to learn it.

That would be fine by me too except "we" won't stop making special accomodations. Push 1 to continue in English.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:50 pm

I stand by my previous statement, if YOU are going to a new country, YOU are the one who has to adapt to the native language, the whole country should not fall over itself trying to accomodate YOU and your tongue.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:23 am

I live in an area that has almost NO hispanic population whatsoever. However, my kmart and sears has signs above each department in both english and spanish! That is just weird to me! There are more italians here than hispanics, so why not put italian on there? Im sick and tired of the push 5 for spanish crap.... this is america and we speak english. We do not even speak it very well either, with our various dialects, slang, and ebonics! lol

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 28, 2024 8:07 am