CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+7
Impact
CeCe
Forgiveness Man
Supernova
JM130ELM
Shale
Chris
11 posters

The 'It Gets Better' anti-bullying campaign.

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

The 'It Gets Better' anti-bullying campaign. Empty The 'It Gets Better' anti-bullying campaign.

Post by Chris Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:57 am

What's your opinion of the 'It Gets Better' anti-bullying campaign; which has had a number of celebrities lending their support to? Do you think that its been effective?
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

The 'It Gets Better' anti-bullying campaign. Empty Re: The 'It Gets Better' anti-bullying campaign.

Post by Shale Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:22 am

It can't hurt. I think letting a kid see that being gay is not some kind of sickness, no matter what his ill-informed troglodyte classmates may hurl at him can help dispel the pain of being bullied.

I was not bullied in high school. I identified at str8 then but didn't have a GF except in my imagination and 'prayers.' It was a naive time. If there were any guys who knew they liked boys, they took pains to hide it because it was considered a legal perversion and psych condition.

So, now we are struggling with one of our last civil rights issues and kids today should be free to acknowledge their sexual orientation without fear of reprisal from the ignorant among us.

To that end, even tho I was not personally targeted in HS, I have made a YouTube for the campaign, just encouraging kids to hang in there, that it does get better.
    JM130ELM
    JM130ELM
    …is Necessary.
    …is Necessary.

Male
    Rep : 32

The 'It Gets Better' anti-bullying campaign. Empty Re: The 'It Gets Better' anti-bullying campaign.

Post by JM130ELM Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:35 am

I think it's a joke and basically a phony PSA/PR opportunity for celebrities. I don't know why a bullied kid is supposed to take a millionaire seriously when they say that it gets better. Exactly when does that happen, when your first starring role tops the box office?
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:11 am

Good point, JM, they may have at one point been bullied, but how long ago was that for these people? Now, I think I recall Lady Gaga saying a while back that she was always picked on...well? Do we really want to use HER as an example of it gets better? If that's better, how bad was the beginning?
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:20 am

Don't see the point of it. Just suck it up and take it? Is that supposed to be the message? It'll get better so deal with it now?
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:32 am

JM130ELM wrote:I think it's a joke and basically a phony PSA/PR opportunity for celebrities. I don't know why a bullied kid is supposed to take a millionaire seriously when they say that it gets better. Exactly when does that happen, when your first starring role tops the box office?
    No, it gets better when you graduate and get away from all the bullying assholes who get away with assault/battery in the schools because the officials there just shrug it off as 'boys will be boys.'

So, some kids are so terrorized by being helpless and victimized that they opt to kill themselves. This is what the whole campaign is about - trying to convince kids not to kill themselves, that 'it gets better.'

IDK who started it, but Dan Savage is a big supporter and has his own tale of survival.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:48 am

Except once you get out of high school, for a lot of people there are still years of trauma and the scars and that kind of hell still applied to their everyday life, so what, if it takes 30 years down the road to get better, it's worth it? no I say make it legal for the kids to punch each other's lights out again. Something I've noticed though nobody ever has much comment about this, back when it wasn't assault and battery and worthy of jail time to punch another kid out if he was bugging you, back then you didn't see a lot of kids taking guns to school and blowing everybody away and then blowing their brains out.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:41 pm

Shale wrote:
    No, it gets better when you graduate and get away from all the bullying assholes who get away with assault/battery in the schools because the officials there just shrug it off as 'boys will be boys.'

So, some kids are so terrorized by being helpless and victimized that they opt to kill themselves. This is what the whole campaign is about - trying to convince kids not to kill themselves, that 'it gets better.'

IDK who started it, but Dan Savage is a big supporter and has his own tale of survival.

co-signs Thank goodness for Dan & Terry who founded It Gets Better. If a difference is made in the life one child or even a struggling adult it is worth it. Of course some opportunistic people are going to hop on the bandwagon. So fucking what? That doesn't diminish the work the organization is attempting to accomplish. You will find some of these same celebs on the fight against breast cancer. Does it make that organization or cause bullshit too? It's about time somebody stepped up for these kids.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:45 pm

CeCe wrote:

co-signs Thank goodness for Dan & Terry who founded It Gets Better. If a difference is made in the life one child or even a struggling adult it is worth it. Of course some opportunistic people are going to hop on the bandwagon. So fucking what? That doesn't diminish the work the organization is attempting to accomplish. You will find some of these same celebs on the fight against breast cancer. Does it make that organization or cause bullshit too? It's about time somebody stepped up for these kids.

The best way to step up for them is to actually DO something about the bullies instead of just letting them walk all over the lower levels of the public school food chain and tell the victims 'oh never mind them, it'll get better SOME day'. When an adult is assaulted do we pat their hand and say 'oh there there it'll be alright SOME day'? No, we have a system in which that person is charged with assault and battery and anything else they might've done to the victim, we don't tell adults who are jumped 'oh you're just being too sensitive, ignore them and it'll go away'. We take an actual step up and put the batterers in jail.
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:56 pm

The premise seems sincere enough, but I question how effective it is.

Is a kid who is being harassed and beaten up every day at school really getting anything out of TV commercials telling them that "it gets better?" Similar sentiments have been uttered throughout the ages about bullies and bullying. How about a professional bodyguard do a "It Gets Better" commercial that leaves a number for the kid to call for his help the next time he gets slammed into a locker? If I were a kid that was being picked on, I would be more impressed with that.

The whole thing is well intentioned, but strikes me as a bit pedestrian. It Gets Better, and remember to "Just Say No!"
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:08 pm

Supernova wrote: ... I say make it legal for the kids to punch each other's lights out again. Something I've noticed though nobody ever has much comment about this, back when it wasn't assault and battery and worthy of jail time to punch another kid out if he was bugging you, back then you didn't see a lot of kids taking guns to school and blowing everybody away and then blowing their brains out.

Supernova wrote:
    The best way to step up for them is to actually DO something about the bullies instead of just letting them walk all over the lower levels of the public school food chain and tell the victims 'oh never mind them, it'll get better SOME day'. When an adult is assaulted do we pat their hand and say 'oh there there it'll be alright SOME day'? No, we have a system in which that person is charged with assault and battery and anything else they might've done to the victim, we don't tell adults who are jumped 'oh you're just being too sensitive, ignore them and it'll go away'. We take an actual step up and put the batterers in jail.

Did I misread something here or are you contradicting yourself?

We need to get serious about protecting teens in school against bullies, to ensure their legal rights not to be verbally intimidated or physically attacked, just as adults have that legal right in our society. Don't just blow it off as boys scrapping in the playground in previous generations. That macho world is a dreadful thing of the past, something my dad used to do in the early 20th century.

The 'it gets better' campaign is for all those kids who don't have activist parents who sue the school board and principals for doing nothing to prevent bullying in schools. Also for those gay kids not out to their parents or effeminate but possibly not gay boys who take the beatings as well. It is often difficult for gay kids to see an out to their suffering other than just killing themselves. The incidence of teen suicide is quite high and higher amongst gay teens. That is why there is a support/pep talk campaign to entreat the kids to stick around, that it gets better if they survive it.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:19 pm

Shale wrote:

The 'it gets better' campaign is for all those kids who don't have activist parents who sue the school board and principals for doing nothing to prevent bullying in schools. Also for those gay kids not out to their parents or effeminate but possibly not gay boys who take the beatings as well. It is often difficult for gay kids to see an out to their suffering other than just killing themselves. The incidence of teen suicide is quite high and higher amongst gay teens. That is why there is a support/pep talk campaign to entreat the kids to stick around, that it gets better if they survive it.

The 'It Gets Better' anti-bullying campaign. Nod
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:24 pm

I think "it gets better" is a weak message. It doesn't get better on it's own unless something is done to MAKE it better. That's not to say we do something crazy like go on a shooting spree. But we need to encourage kids to not sit around waiting for it to get better. We need to encourage kids to MAKE it better.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:07 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:I think "it gets better" is a weak message. It doesn't get better on it's own unless something is done to MAKE it better. That's not to say we do something crazy like go on a shooting spree. But we need to encourage kids to not sit around waiting for it to get better. We need to encourage kids to MAKE it better.

That should start though with ADULTS making an example, after all on school property the adults are in charge, so why shouldn't they be the ones issuing out actual punishments to the pos bullies?
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:17 pm

Supernova wrote:

That should start though with ADULTS making an example, after all on school property the adults are in charge, so why shouldn't they be the ones issuing out actual punishments to the pos bullies?

Because that would be too much like claiming responsibility.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:25 pm

Impact wrote:

Because that would be too much like claiming responsibility.

co-signs and this has been the major contributing factor to the whole problem. If people would be held accountable for their behavior an organization like It Gets Better wouldn't even be necessary. The failure on the part of the people in authority has led to bullying being so widespread. They act as if it's just kids being kids or they look the other way. When that stops we might get somewhere. But the problem is getting that mindset in action.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:26 pm

Well they already ARE responsible for all the kids and some Nazi teachers make that fact well known that THEY are in charge and all the students MUST do as they say or else.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:33 pm

It can't hurt. I don't put a lot of stock in how effective it is, and I don't know how sincere celebrities are by lending their name to a cause they prob. don't give two shits about, but whatever. At least it's being talked about.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:38 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:It can't hurt. I don't put a lot of stock in how effective it is, and I don't know how sincere celebrities are by lending their name to a cause they prob. don't give two shits about, but whatever. At least it's being talked about.

co-signs
    I think it's more of an "awareness" thing....to shine a light on the issue than to actually resolve anything.

Whatever. Like you said....it doesn't hurt.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:01 pm

Its raising awareness and every little bit helps.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:09 pm

RobbieFTW wrote:Its raising awareness and every little bit helps.
    co-signs
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:22 pm

Here is my donation to It Gets Better, made last October.

CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:44 pm

Shale wrote:Here is my donation to It Gets Better, made last October.

Wonderful video Shale! Thanks for posting it. The 'It Gets Better' anti-bullying campaign. Thumbup1

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 1:54 am