CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

The Stepford Wives by Ira Levin

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

The Stepford Wives by Ira Levin Empty The Stepford Wives by Ira Levin

Post by Supernova Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:06 pm

Has anybody read this book?

Last year I got sick and in 3 days basically, read The Stepford Wives, Rosemary's Baby, and The Omen...very unnerving stuff to say the least.

Anyway, Stepford Wives, I saw the movie (original) long before I read the book so I knew some of what to expect, I was surprised that the book didn't have that part where Joanna and Bobbie listen to one of the 'wives' having sex with her husband and praising him the entire time and they run out laughing.

And I recall that Joanna's ordeal with her shrink didn't go as in the movie either. I preferred the movie's version where the shrink tells her get the prescription filled, get her kids and GET THE HELL OUT!, like she believes that something's wrong, not the case in the book.

A very creepy book and I would almost say a sign of their times, this was what, late 60s, early 70s, feminism is new and on the rise, women are torn between being the mothers and homemakers and going out into the work force and being independent and having a career. Note I said ALMOST, because even today there seem to be a lot of women who would still be in Joanna's place of ultimately being set up as the lamb to the slaughter like all the other wives, and resistence is not only futile but almost non-existent. Now, if I were writing the story, this is my thing, why don't people in these kinds of stories EVER have guns? No, I'd have it that she blows her husband's brains out, gets the kids, gets in the car and drives like hell and never looks back, but that's just me.

How about everyone else?

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 8:28 pm