CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+2
Alan Smithee
Chris
6 posters

Report: 'Barefoot Bandit' inks movie deal worth up to $1.3 million

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Report: 'Barefoot Bandit' inks movie deal worth up to $1.3 million  Empty Report: 'Barefoot Bandit' inks movie deal worth up to $1.3 million

Post by Chris Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:25 am

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/44100784

Report: 'Barefoot Bandit' inks movie deal worth up to $1.3 million

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

msnbc.com news services
    updated 8/11/2011 3:25:43 PM ET 2011-08-11T19:25:43

EVERETT, Wash. — The young Washington state man dubbed the Barefoot Bandit after a cross-country crime spree brought him folk outlaw status has reportedly signed a movie deal worth as much as $1.3 million with 20th Century Fox.

The Daily Herald of Everett, Wash., reported that the money will be used to help pay the minimum $1.4 million that 20-year-old Colton Harris-Moore owes in restitution to the victims of his two-year-long crime spree.

"I did things that were not only a violation of law, but also of trust," Harris-Moore said in a written statement provided by his attorneys. "I can't undo what I did. I can only try to make things better."

Over the course of his nine-state, three-country crime spree, Harris-Moore stole five planes, more than a dozen cars, several boats, and broke into a number of homes and businesses.

Many of his crimes apparently were committed while he was barefoot, earning him his moniker.

'I won't make a dime'
    The statement, written from behind bars at a federal detention center in SeaTac, south of Seattle, explained that he would only agree to sign a deal if his victims could be repaid.

"I am humbled to know I can now help the people I hurt, at least for the financial damage I caused them," Harris-Moore wrote.

"I have absolutely zero interest in profiting from any of this and I won't make a dime off it. It all goes to restitution. That's what I insisted on from the beginning and the contract I signed guarantees it," the statement said.

Seattle entertainment lawyer Lance Rosen negotiated the deal on Harris-Moore's behalf.

"It's very unusual for this kind of money to paid for anyone's life story rights," Rosen told the Herald.

High School Musical star Zac Efron is among the actors who has reportedly been considered for the role of Harris-Moore, the Herald said.

Harris-Moore was accused of breaking into empty vacation houses on Camano Island, Wash., his childhood home, and stealing food, before fleeing into the woods.

He was arrested and sentenced to three years in juvenile detention in 2007.

Shortly afterward, he broke out and began a crime spree that ended two years later in the Bahamas.

'Lucky to be alive'
    In November 2008, Harris-Moore broke into homes on Washington's San Juan Islands, where he stole his first airplane in November 2008.

Police officials on San Juan have blamed Harris-Moore for two plane thefts.

He later crossed into Canada, where he stole several cars, before breaking into an Idaho airport and stealing another plane.

He crashed that plane near Granite Falls, Wash., which triggered a massive manhunt that only ended in the Bahamas.

"I am grateful beyond words that nobody was physically hurt by my dangerous and careless actions. I know too that I am lucky to be alive," Harris-Moore said in his statement.

Harris-Moore pleaded guilty in June to seven federal felony charges. Sentencing is set for October. He still faces state court charges.

"Getting money to my victims is the least I can do, and because of my situation it is probably the best I can do," Harris-Moore said in his statement.

"In due time I hope to earn the forgiveness of my neighbors and community, and everyone else I've hurt," he said. "I will continue to do everything in my power to make things better. My commitment to that endeavor is what keeps me going."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Report: 'Barefoot Bandit' inks movie deal worth up to $1.3 million  Empty Re: Report: 'Barefoot Bandit' inks movie deal worth up to $1.3 million

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:46 am

The money will go to his victims and he won't make a dime? I have no problem with that. I said as much in another topic.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Report: 'Barefoot Bandit' inks movie deal worth up to $1.3 million  Empty Re: Report: 'Barefoot Bandit' inks movie deal worth up to $1.3 million

Post by Shale Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:52 am

Alan Smithee wrote:The money will go to his victims and he won't make a dime? I have no problem with that. I said as much in another topic.

Yeah, he makes it sound voluntary like it was his idea.

Most places have laws against felons making money off depictions of their crimes.

He still comes out ahead with the notoriety. Long after we are all dead, he will be remembered for his boldness. A mirror of Catch Me If You Can.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:14 am

Opa Shale wrote:

Yeah, he makes it sound voluntary like it was his idea.

Most places have laws against felons making money off depictions of their crimes.

He still comes out ahead with the notoriety. Long after we are all dead, he will be remembered for his boldness. A mirror of Catch Me If You Can.

I disagree. I think he sounded sincere that he wanted to make restitution. He didn't have to make the deal. This is what one of his victims, Bob Rivers (stolen/destroyed airplane) had to say,

“If the victims are going to be compensated, it’s fantastic, it’s good for the victims,” Rivers said.

“In the end, do you want him to pay his debt to society? Of course you do,” he added. “Do you want him to be able to redeem himself? He was 17-years-old at the time my plane theft happened, so do you wish he could turn his life around? I think anyone with a heart would.”

He was facing 10 years and will likely get 6 1/2. Not exactly a slap on the wrist.

No, I don't think he does.

The indictment would require Harris-Moore to forfeit "any and all intellectual property or other proprietary rights belonging to the defendant, based upon or pertaining to any narration, description, publication, dissemination or disclosure of information relating to any conduct" in the charges.

Any proceeds or royalties Harris-Moore received from projects like "Taking Flight: The Hunt For A Young Outlaw," would qualify as intellectual property under the indictment.

What's he going to do, start a security consulting business like Frank Abagnale? You can't spend notoriety. Besides, the public memory is very short. How many people here know who D.B. Cooper was?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:34 am

Shrugs (Oh well…) As long as his victims get the money. You rather him pay them back like this, or break into another business?
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:00 pm

Might be a decent flick and Glad he not profiting from it.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:14 pm

Alan Smithee wrote: Besides, the public memory is very short. How many people here know who D.B. Cooper was?
    Was? He may still be. I don't think his story is over yet.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:39 pm

Not a bad idea for restitution. I have less of a problem with this fool getting a biopic than Casey Anthony, who will pocket the commission made from anything with her name on it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 4:05 am