CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

2 posters

Night of the Hunter by Davis Grubb

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Night of the Hunter by Davis Grubb Empty Night of the Hunter by Davis Grubb

Post by Supernova Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:44 pm

It took me a while to find a copy of the original novel The Night of the Hunter, which was turned into the Robert Mitchum movie in 1955, but the price finally went down and mine is a heavily highlighted one (I would love to know what class whoever had it before me was taking because a large part of the green and orange highlights cover Powell's dialogue, and then Willa's when she starts thinking like him) but I'm glad I found it.

It's a very good book, though confusing because Grubb didn't use any quotation marks, so it can be confusing when people are talking. Obviously it goes into a lot more details about sex than the movie was allowed to, and Powell can prove to have a regular blaspheming mouth on him when he's alone with John and John won't tell him where the money is...VERY good story, I recommend it highly. Has anybody else here read it?
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Night of the Hunter by Davis Grubb Empty Re: Night of the Hunter by Davis Grubb

Post by Bluesmama Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:20 am

I own the movie (which, to me, was Robert Mitchum's best performance ever). Never knew it was from a book. Sounds like another difficult one to find. Back into ABE's Books I go.

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 6:35 pm