CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

5 posters

Default organ donors

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Default organ donors Empty Default organ donors

Post by Chris Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:26 am

A bill was put up in Colorado proposing to automatically make people organ donors, unless they specifically opt out. Personally, I see nothing wrong with this, and wouldn't mind it becoming the common way things are done. What's your opinion of this; are you in favor of default organ donation?
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Default organ donors Empty Re: Default organ donors

Post by Shale Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:51 am

I see the greater good of this for increasing donated organs, but I also see the problems with default things requiring a specific opt out. There are what I consider scams that operate on this principle.

First time someone whose wishes were known by friends but not officially opted out, there will be a lawsuit which will show if this is even legal. One should have the OPTION to consciously make decisions about the integrity of their body and not have to override a default that says the state may take what it wants.

If this holds up, I would suggest a law that says everyone diagnosed as brain dead or not worth a full code due to advanced age or condition of their prognosis be considered a DNR (do not resuscitate) and not receive heroic measures - UNLESS THEY OPT OUT.

Most places give the option to make Advanced Directives that gives the conditions of end life treatment, (as well as organ donation) but most ppl don't want to think about it. So we do full codes on ppl who have died a normal death, keeping them artificially alive at great expense. If they did not opt out of the DNR conditions they would just die, saving a lot of wasted medical effort.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:44 am

I volunteered to be an organ donor on my D.L. I don't think the government should assume. What about people who don't drive and don't have the oportunity to opt out? I bet even cheaps asks if you're going to eat your steak fat. She doesn't just spear it off your plate.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:32 am

No. Let people volunteer their organs.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:03 pm

I can appreciate the fact that organs are needed but you can't say to people that YOU decide if they get to keep all their body parts, that is their choice. When I went in for my driver's test, I went 2 days in a row, both times the lady (SAME lady) asked if I wanted to be a donor, I said no both times.

Besides, that kind of thing would make me nervous because say you were in an accident, and were hospitalized, and there was a chance that you would recover but the doctor opted for an early pulling of the plug so he can cut you up and ship you to other hospitals; my mom's best friend's granddaughter was in that situation, the doctors lied and said she had no chance to recover so they could harvest her organs, and when the autopsy came back her parents found out she had a very treatable problem, but the doctors said she was brain dead and there was no hope so they could get their hands on her organs.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 10:31 am