CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+3
Nystyle709
GrayWolf
Supernova
7 posters

'Sleeping with your door locked is a fire hazard'

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

'Sleeping with your door locked is a fire hazard' Empty 'Sleeping with your door locked is a fire hazard'

Post by Supernova Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:59 pm

What's everyone's opinion about this? My WHOLE life I was told 'don't sleep with your door locked because if there's a fire, you'll be trapped in there'. Really? How? If there's a fire and the door's locked, I just have to pull the latch up and the door will open. And the only way I can be trapped would be if the fire is right by the door in which case you'd be trapped anyway. Personally, I don't get it, does anyone else?
    GrayWolf
    GrayWolf
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 36

'Sleeping with your door locked is a fire hazard' Empty Re: 'Sleeping with your door locked is a fire hazard'

Post by GrayWolf Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:10 pm

Not sure but I think the fire could melt the metal, or at the least the lever can become too hot to touch when trying to open it. I'm all for closing my door shut at night, but I really have no reason to lock it.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

'Sleeping with your door locked is a fire hazard' Empty Re: 'Sleeping with your door locked is a fire hazard'

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:23 pm

GrayWolf wrote:Not sure but I think the fire could melt the metal, or at the least the lever can become too hot to touch when trying to open it. I'm all for closing my door shut at night, but I really have no reason to lock it.

Yep.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:42 am

Well the doorknob's made out of metal too but nobody ever says anything about that.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:24 am

Never heard that, I sleep with my door locked. Something I've always done.

I'm assuming bedroom door.

Front and back doors to the house ALWAYS get locked too. Are you referring to the main doors of your house/apt too?
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:38 am

It's not that you'll be the one trapped inside. It's that your bedroom window may be the emergency escape route so people can't get in (to get out). If your door knob gets so hot that you can't touch it, being locked won't make a difference.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:51 am

I always go to bed with my bedroom door locked, its a habit I brought over from childhood. If I need to escape I can go through one of the windows. If there was a fire near the door I would on reflex grab a blanket or something before I touched the door knob or unlocked it. Besides if its that hot means the fire is close by the door and I would not be able to get out that way.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:53 am

Alan Smithee wrote:It's not that you'll be the one trapped inside. It's that your bedroom window may be the emergency escape route so people can't get in (to get out). If your door knob gets so hot that you can't touch it, being locked won't make a difference.

Well that is not my case because nobody in this family ever plans to go out a second floor window in case of a fire, especially since all bedrooms have direct access to the stairs.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:23 pm

Supernova wrote:

Well that is not my case because nobody in this family ever plans to go out a second floor window in case of a fire, especially since all bedrooms have direct access to the stairs.

That's fine. Push your dresser up aginst the door too and baracade yourself in while you're at it Shrugs (Oh well…) . I've never lived in an apartment or house that had locks on a bedroom door. I've got more to worry about than fire if I feel the need to lock my bedroom door to keep something out.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:37 pm

Supernova wrote:What's everyone's opinion about this? My WHOLE life I was told 'don't sleep with your door locked because if there's a fire, you'll be trapped in there'. Really? How? If there's a fire and the door's locked, I just have to pull the latch up and the door will open. And the only way I can be trapped would be if the fire is right by the door in which case you'd be trapped anyway. Personally, I don't get it, does anyone else?

Actually I never heard that. When it comes to fire safety, I don't see much difference between locking and just closing. Maybe the people who told you that just didn't want you to lock your door?
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:20 am

Jason B. wrote:

Actually I never heard that. When it comes to fire safety, I don't see much difference between locking and just closing. Maybe the people who told you that just didn't want you to lock your door?

Eh, maybe, I know it certainly wasn't for the reason they'd have to come into my room to get out, because when I was a little kid when they first started saying that, I had a large window unit fan bolted into my window, there would've been no getting out that in a hurry for anything.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:03 pm

Supernova wrote:

Eh, maybe, I know it certainly wasn't for the reason they'd have to come into my room to get out, because when I was a little kid when they first started saying that, I had a large window unit fan bolted into my window, there would've been no getting out that in a hurry for anything.

Then maybe if you slept in a room with a large, unobstructed window they wouldn't have told you not to lock your door. Was the door lock one of those that if the key was removed, the door was locked from both sides? That would make sense but with modern locks the hazard is still greater for the people outside the room.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 6:27 am