CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+8
Cheaps
Impact
wants2laugh
TSJFan4Ever
tmontyb
Shale
RedBedroom
Nhaiyel
12 posters

Is altering something natural about yourself a sign of self-hate?

Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Is altering something natural about yourself a sign of self-hate? Empty Is altering something natural about yourself a sign of self-hate?

Post by Nhaiyel Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:14 am

Not so much things that can naturally adjust (like weight), but rather innate, natural characteristics. Things such as dying your hair, changing the shape of your nose, wearing colored contacts, changing your skin tone via bleaching or tanning, etc.

Basically doing anything that alters your natural design in a way that is contrary to your DNA. Do you think that tampering with fundamental elements about oneself is a sign of self-hate?
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Is altering something natural about yourself a sign of self-hate? Empty Re: Is altering something natural about yourself a sign of self-hate?

Post by RedBedroom Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:18 am

I don't think so at all. For example, I have naturally curly hair. After so many years having it, I had it chemically straightened. I felt like a friggin supermodel after having it done because it was so new and fun. But the novelty wore off and I won't ever do it again.

Maybe people who get nuts over permanent cosmetic surgery are an example of self hate?
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Is altering something natural about yourself a sign of self-hate? Empty Re: Is altering something natural about yourself a sign of self-hate?

Post by Shale Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:19 am

Nah, just curiosity about how you would look differently. Like wearing costume - and all style is costume at one time or another. As much into the natural as I am, at one time in my youth I bleached my dark brown hair to strawberry blond. Just curious how I would look as a blond.

Oh, I have several tattoos, guess that is an alteration as well.
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 37

Post by tmontyb Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:28 am

No, I don't think it's self hate at all. Everyone wants to better themselves. Now, if you're going in for 10 surgeries a month, yeah I would say it's not only self hate, but some other type of sickness.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:34 am

Self-hate, no, but maybe a desire for change, maybe correcting something that makes you uncomfortable. It can be a sign of self-hate if taken too far, though.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:36 am

tmontyb wrote:No, I don't think it's self hate at all. Everyone wants to better themselves. Now, if you're going in for 10 surgeries a month, yeah I would say it's not only self hate, but some other type of sickness.
    Michael Jackson just popped into my mind.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:38 am

I wanted a breast reduction when i was 18 cause i didnt want back pain knee pain and saggy breasts by the time i was 40. Then i saw the surgery and said no I dye my hair. It's part of our culture not self hate. In our society everyone wants what they do not have! The curly want straight.... I have straight, I want curly. I am naturally blonde, I dye it brunette. It's the way of the world not self hate
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:42 am

Depends on where the persons head is at and their reasons for changing those natural aspects of themselves. If they're doing it for variety or because they're just in the mood for a change, then that isn't a problem. If they do it because they were never comfortable with how they naturally look or have some deep seated resentment against a certain trait, then maybe that is probably a form of self loathing.

My hair is naturally very very curly and when I was high school and college, I used to blow dry it straight. That wasn't self hate. I've worn glasses all my life, but on occasion I put in contacts. Don't consider that self hate either. It's just me applying different options available.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:19 am

TSJFan4Ever wrote:Self-hate, no, but maybe a desire for change, maybe correcting something that makes you uncomfortable. It can be a sign of self-hate if taken too far, though.

co-signs

I been dying my hair for a long time now, and I've worn colored contacts in high school. Nothing wrong with that. But yea things can be self hate if you looking to change your nose or bleach your skin.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:26 am

I agree that it depends on their motivation.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:36 am

Opa Shale wrote:
    Michael Jackson just popped into my mind.
    That woman in a reality show...can't remember her last name. First name is Heidi. She & her squirrely husband had some idiotic hybrid name. But she had multiple surgeries at one time. Her implants were bigger than her head & she was still whining about them being too small. That is self hate.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:40 am

I would say your dissatisfied or wanting a change rather than self hate.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:06 pm

Impact wrote:Depends on where the persons head is at and their reasons for changing those natural aspects of themselves. If they're doing it for variety or because they're just in the mood for a change, then that isn't a problem. If they do it because they were never comfortable with how they naturally look or have some deep seated resentment against a certain trait, then maybe that is probably a form of self loathing.

This.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 5:59 pm