CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
Tony Marino
Nhaiyel
Alan Smithee
Shale
Supernova
Chris
10 posters

Would you be insulted if your child changed his/her name?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Would you be insulted if your child changed his/her name? Empty Would you be insulted if your child changed his/her name?

Post by Chris Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:41 am

If your adult aged child were to change his or her first name, would it upset you?
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Would you be insulted if your child changed his/her name? Empty Re: Would you be insulted if your child changed his/her name?

Post by Supernova Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:52 am

laughing When I was 10, I went through a phase where I hated everything, including my name, and I wanted a different one and I tried out a couple to see if I liked them better. So I know what that's like, but I've also come to appreciate having a one of a kind name, it's who I am...so looking at it now, I really don't know how a person could erase WHO they have been their whole lives, unless they hated it that much.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Would you be insulted if your child changed his/her name? Empty Re: Would you be insulted if your child changed his/her name?

Post by Shale Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:15 am

Well, my first name on my birth certificate was Bobbie. As a teenager I was adopted by my stepfather but decided to go back to my birth father's name when I came of age. So when I changed that, I changed the first name to Robert. Guess my stepfather may have been insulted, but I had imprinted on my original family.

I really think there should be a time from say age 18-25 when you can go to a courthouse and fill out a form changing your name to one you identify with instead of one you were given.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:55 pm

I don't think I would. Can't speak for her mother. Would your parents be insulted if you wanted to change yours?
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:28 pm

Yes. The name I give my child would be something special that I picked out especially for them and gave to them, almost like a gift. If they decided that they disliked it so much that they would have it legally changed, it would sting.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:47 pm

I think it would upset me, I would want to know why but then I guess I would get over it. It might be a bit annoying to my child when I still call he/she by the original name though.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:42 pm

Nhaiyel wrote:Yes. The name I give my child would be something special that I picked out especially for them and gave to them, almost like a gift. If they decided that they disliked it so much that they would have it legally changed, it would sting.

Parents need to know that they are the launch pad. Once the missile is in flight, it's trajectory is out of your control.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:30 pm

Not really. I gave them a name that I liked. It's not a guarantee that they would like it too.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:50 pm

Nhaiyel wrote:Yes. The name I give my child would be something special that I picked out especially for them and gave to them, almost like a gift. If they decided that they disliked it so much that they would have it legally changed, it would sting.
    co-signs
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:52 pm

nah... personal preference... everyone has them
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:58 pm

I think I would be. I'd rather they just call themselves something else, rather than go through the legal channels of actually changing it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 1:37 am