CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+8
Alan Smithee
Shale
AtownPeep
Supernova
Hyacinth Girl
CeCe
Cheaps
Chris
12 posters

How would you react to a loved one refusing medical treatment?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

How would you react to a loved one refusing medical treatment? Empty How would you react to a loved one refusing medical treatment?

Post by Chris Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:49 am

I have a co-worker with a heart murmur and needed corrective surgery. Doctors told him that if he didn't have it, his certain fate (death) was sealed. He is not a fan of hospitals and is leery of surgery, so he procrastinated. Everyone in his life attempted to coax him into going through with it sooner than later, but he wasn't budging. Finally his wife threatened to leave him if he didn't have the surgery immediately, so he did and it turned out well for him.

If a loved one of yours were in the same situation, would you issue a similar threat if they procrastinated on treatment?
    Cheaps
    Cheaps
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 252

How would you react to a loved one refusing medical treatment? Empty Re: How would you react to a loved one refusing medical treatment?

Post by Cheaps Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:28 am

Yes, If their life was on the line.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

How would you react to a loved one refusing medical treatment? Empty Re: How would you react to a loved one refusing medical treatment?

Post by CeCe Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:21 am

It just depends on the situation. In some cases people are just being stubborn over something silly. But if it's a terminal illness I have to respect the wishes of that person. I'd talk to them but ultimately it's their life & their choice.
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 70

Post by Hyacinth Girl Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:25 am

Usually it's my husband being a baby about going to the doctor, which he hasn't done in years, yet whines when he gets the smallest sniffle. I usually just tell him not to worry--he can ignore all his own healthcare stuff if he wants, because I've gotten his life insurance policy paid up, so I'll be all set if he kicks off.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:45 am

Hyacinth Girl wrote:Usually it's my husband being a baby about going to the doctor, which he hasn't done in years, yet whines when he gets the smallest sniffle. I usually just tell him not to worry--he can ignore all his own healthcare stuff if he wants, because I've gotten his life insurance policy paid up, so I'll be all set if he kicks off.

ROFLMAO! It definitely depends on the situation and I can understand people NOT wanting to go through with something; around here our doctors are not the most competent breed. My mother knew a man who had throat cancer and the doctor's idea for how to treat that was to wire his jaw shut and cut a hole into his neck, WHY he decided that, I don't think anybody ever found out.
    AtownPeep
    AtownPeep
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 39

Post by AtownPeep Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:47 am

It's their life, but I wouldn't respect them being so reckless and depending on how much I cared about them would probably be upset by their choice.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:54 am

The OP had two issues.

One, a person should have the right to make his own medical decisions.
    Two, he is not single, he is sharing his life with another person who should also have a say in the progress of their relationship. Perhaps she would sincerely prefer to be a divorcee instead of a widow but the point got across to the guy - kill yourself alone.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:07 pm

As others have said, it depends. I'm not going to divorce my wife because she won't quite smoking but you can bet your ass that if she doesn't stop if she's ever diagnosed with a smoking related illness, I'm dumping a bucket of water on her head every time I see her light up. She can leave me.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:10 pm

his life, his decision to handle it
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:19 pm

It would ultimately be their decision, but I would be about through with them if they decided to not go ahead with it. I don't know how much I could tolerate watching someone I cared about choose grim suffrage over possible wellness, simply because they have some hospital phobia.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:34 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:As others have said, it depends. I'm not going to divorce my wife because she won't quite smoking but you can bet your ass that if she doesn't stop if she's ever diagnosed with a smoking related illness, I'm dumping a bucket of water on her head every time I see her light up. She can leave me.

LMAO! Sounds like a good idea to me, Alan!
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:43 pm

I think I would yes.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:52 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:...I'm not going to divorce my wife because she won't quite smoking ...
    That was one issue between me and my wife and the counselor thot it no big deal. It was to me.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:33 pm

I wouldn't like it, and if I have to threaten them to get treatment that will save their life, then I'll do it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 2:53 am