CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+3
Cheaps
Supernova
RedBedroom
7 posters

Should today's urban middle school teachers assume that all kids have Internet access?

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Should today's urban middle school teachers assume that all kids have Internet access? Empty Should today's urban middle school teachers assume that all kids have Internet access?

Post by RedBedroom Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:29 am

Maybe I am just being a dinosaur here, but I think it is a tad presumptuous that a middle school teacher in a large city assume that all of her students have access to Internet each night.

What made me consider this is that my son's pre-Algebra teacher is putting her lessons on a web page for the kids to watch at night to make the next day in the class for them to work on the lesson, with her guidance.

I love the concept and see it working great. But for those kids who do not have Internet at home, I wonder how that would go? Granted this math is optional for 7th graders. It is the higher of the two math classes with the other being an advanced basic math. But when we were told that our kids qualified for pre-algebra, we were not told that they had to have Internet access. I am feeling like the set up may screw over kids who are advanced but do not have Internet at home.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Should today's urban middle school teachers assume that all kids have Internet access? Empty Re: Should today's urban middle school teachers assume that all kids have Internet access?

Post by Supernova Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:47 am

This is a large reason why libraries should not be closed in lieu of other businesses that people don't need, a lot of families still do NOT have internet access and the free library is the only way they can get it.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Should today's urban middle school teachers assume that all kids have Internet access? Empty Re: Should today's urban middle school teachers assume that all kids have Internet access?

Post by RedBedroom Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:50 am

Well even with library access, not all kids can get there in one night. But I agree that extended assignments that require Internet research make kids having Internet at the local library branch important.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:11 am

Should today's urban middle school teachers assume that all kids have Internet access?

I'd hope not, a lot of my nieces/nephews don't have internet access from home.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:04 am

They shouldn't assume. It does sound like a good idea but I hope they've planned alternatives for the kids who can't get on-line.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:37 am

Yes and cell phones too!
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:44 pm

No, I don't think they should; which is why school libraries should always be up to date on technology and have an attendant there to allow access to students after school hours who need to do their homework.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:26 pm

Nhaiyel wrote:No, I don't think they should; which is why school libraries should always be up to date on technology and have an attendant there to allow access to students after school hours who need to do their homework.

Should today's urban middle school teachers assume that all kids have Internet access? 35166

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 10:56 pm