CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
RedBedroom
kinetic
Tony Marino
Jason B.
Nystyle709
Chris
10 posters

Have you ever worked a graveyard (night) shift?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Have you ever worked a graveyard (night) shift? Empty Have you ever worked a graveyard (night) shift?

Post by Chris Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:14 am

Have you ever worked a graveyard (night) shift as your regular shift?

If so, do/did you enjoy it?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Have you ever worked a graveyard (night) shift? Empty Re: Have you ever worked a graveyard (night) shift?

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:40 pm

Of course. I liked it being the fact that you could make the most money doing the graveyard shift. My normal bedtime would be the time I was at work and I could never sleep in the day when I got home, so it would throw me off a bit. But overall, I didn't mind it. Sometimes I did, most times I didn't.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Have you ever worked a graveyard (night) shift? Empty Re: Have you ever worked a graveyard (night) shift?

Post by Jason B. Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:51 pm

I HATE the afternoon/night shift. Absolutely hate it. It throws off my entire self clock. I despise waking up at 11am or 12pm, knowing that I have to go to work later on that day. It is such an oppressing feeling. Then I don't like working until the wee hours of the morning or until like 7/8am, coming home and then sleeping all day.

I prefer the day shift. Give me a 8-5.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:55 pm

I worked the graveyard shift a couple of times for a week a month. It was so hard going to sleep at 10 or 11 in the morning, I had to put blankets up on the windows. Getting back to day shift the following week was a trip, I didn't do this for very long.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:06 pm

JB wrote:I HATE the afternoon/night shift. Absolutely hate it. It throws off my entire self clock. I despise waking up at 11am or 12pm, knowing that I have to go to work later on that day. It is such an oppressing feeling. Then I don't like working until the wee hours of the morning or until like 7/8am, coming home and then sleeping all day.

I prefer the day shift. Give me a 8-5.

I love the afternoon shift. I hate getting up mad early in the morning. I can't and never could do it. Maybe mid-morning. To me, if I get off at 11 at night, it's perfect because I can still go out after work, hang out and drink all night, and don't have to worry about getting up in the morning to go to work the next day....so I can basically sleep in and don't have to go to work until later.
    I don't go to bed until 1 am anyway so if I have to work at 3, that's 12 hrs worth of sleep essentially. Not that I'd sleep that long, but I can take care of any loose errands after I get up before I have to head to work. If I'm working 7-3....that means I have to get up at 5 am to get ready for work, work, come home, cook/eat dinner and try to do any errands that I have and then have to go to bed early so I can get enough hrs of sleep to get back up at 5 and do it all over again. Nah. 3-11 is PERFECT for me.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:09 pm

Tony Marino wrote:I worked the graveyard shift a couple of times for a week a month. It was so hard going to sleep at 10 or 11 in the morning, I had to put blankets up on the windows. Getting back to day shift the following week was a trip, I didn't do this for very long.

Same here. I can't sleep in light, I used to come home at 7:30 am and only sleep until 10 or 10:30 am. Then I was up for the rest of the day. Get to work, I'm sleepy as hell. I didn't do it every day, so that's why I didn't mind it so much.
    kinetic
    kinetic
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 19

Post by kinetic Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:05 pm

Tony Marino wrote:I worked the graveyard shift a couple of times for a week a month. It was so hard going to sleep at 10 or 11 in the morning, I had to put blankets up on the windows. Getting back to day shift the following week was a trip, I didn't do this for very long.

I hate daylight blarring on me when I'm trying to sleep too. That's the reason my room is the only in the house that's got shades instead of blinds. Sometimes I even take tape and tape the shades to the wall to further block out the sun.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:34 pm

I have never had that schedule, and would not do well with it. I don't know how some do four on four off with 12 hour night shifts. That makes life so hard. My friend does 7pm-7am in a hospital, and she is three on four off. I think she gets used to normal hours then has to get right back into staying up all night.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:48 pm

I couldn't tolerate a graveyard/overnight shift. I like my evenings being about me. The idea of my job defining my nights isn't at all appealing. I would go to work with an attitude.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:05 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:
    I love the afternoon shift. I hate getting up mad early in the morning. I can't and never could do it. Maybe mid-morning. To me, if I get off at 11 at night, it's perfect because I can still go out after work, hang out and drink all night, and don't have to worry about getting up in the morning to go to work the next day....so I can basically sleep in and don't have to go to work until later.[/b] [b]I don't go to bed until 1 am anyway so if I have to work at 3, that's 12 hrs worth of sleep essentially. Not that I'd sleep that long, but I can take care of any loose errands after I get up before I have to head to work. If I'm working 7-3....that means I have to get up at 5 am to get ready for work, work, come home, cook/eat dinner and try to do any errands that I have and then have to go to bed early so I can get enough hrs of sleep to get back up at 5 and do it all over again. Nah. 3-11 is PERFECT for me.

My thing is I just don't like waking up KNOWING I have to go to work later. That gnaws at me. 6 o'clock in the afternoon. That perfect time a day when the heat is taping off, but it's still light and active out and I'm stuck at work until later. Ugh.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:37 pm

I don't know about "graveyard," but I have had jobs where I started at 2pm and didn't get out until 10:30 or 11 at night. Hate those shifts. Feels like my whole day has been sacrificed. My ex could get up at 10 am, go shopping, go to the post office, cook, etc. and then go to work her afternoon shift. Me....no....can't do it. If I work an afternoon, then I'm gonna sluggishly lay about until it's time to go to work.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:51 pm

Working the graveyard shift tonight. I'm getting ready for work right now, gotta go in at ten and won't get off until six tomorrow morning. I only have to do it once a month, and tonight is it.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:56 am

Hope it went well, Chris.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:18 pm

Hoe it goes well, Chris. I lasted 2 months of graveyard working at Tim Hortons, a coffee and donut shop that also serves soups and sandwiches. It was brutal. I never did adjust and would come home and find myself sleeping 12 hours a day.
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:36 pm

In a job I had about three years ago, I had to work the graveyard shift. I was functioning on almost no sleep! I'd get home at 7 or so in the morning and I could hardly sleep at all during the day, even with my window covered and blocking out the sun. I just couldn't get any amount of significant sleep during the day. I never did adjust to it! Luckily, I don't work there anymore.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:47 am