CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

4 posters

Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret Empty Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret

Post by Supernova Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:47 pm

This one is more for the women of the chamber...did anybody here read this book when they were a kid? Until a couple of years ago I had never even heard of it, and going by what I have heard, I seriously doubt as a kid I would've read it. And yet people say 'EVERY teenaged girl should read this' 'This is a book for EVERY girl', oh really?

As a child I wouldn't touch any books about girls with a 10 foot pole because I knew they were boring and not about anything I was interested in, and going by the reviews I've read on this one it's about an 11 year old who talks constantly about her period, obsesses about boys and having sex with them, and has 'I must I must I must increase my bust' as a mantra when she tries to get bigger breasts from exercising. That said, my mind is spinning from all these reviews of 'Oh as a teenager I LOVED this book, I could relate to this', seriously?

By the time I was a teenager I was alternating between finishing high school and starting college in the same semester and dealing with professors who threatened to kick me out because they didn't want a 13 year old girl for a student, I didn't have time to worry about my breasts, which in itself was never an issue because those puppies set up shop at age 9 before I knew what was going on, same with my period. People talk about girls 'dealing' with it, what's to deal with? By 9 I figured out you get this every month and you wear pads for a week, that's all that that meant, to me it was not a life changing event and really didn't mean anything, it was just something that happened.

So...for the ladies of the book chamber, your thoughts on this book if you've read it?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret Empty Re: Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:05 pm

I've read it, I've read every Judy Blume book. She was one of my favorite authors as a kid. I don't know about it being a pertinent book for girls to read, but I did enjoy it. I will give it to me sister to read too.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret Empty Re: Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret

Post by Chris Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:57 am

I've heard of it, but I don't recall ever reading it. I liked quite a few Judy Blum books, but because that one was so girl-specific, it never made my reading list.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:34 pm

I read it and recall liking it. I think the draw is that it is geared toward the pre-teen crowd and at that age (at least back when I was that age) we didn't really talk to our friends about the personal stuff going on with our bodies. I suspect that is much different today as kids seem so much more open and less shy about all that stuff.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 9:42 am