CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

2 posters

Rage by Stephen King

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Rage by Stephen King Empty Rage by Stephen King

Post by Supernova Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:04 am

Has anybody read this one? Apparently anymore the only way you CAN is to read The Bachman Books, 4 of his novels written under his infamous pseudonym. Only now it turns out some copies of The Bachman Books come WITHOUT Rage. I had only heard of this one recently...apparently after some cases of life imitating art where high school students were killing their teachers and taking their classmates hostage, King had the plug pulled on Rage and it seems was happy to see it go. I really don't understand why, but the next time I go to the library I'm picking this one up to see how it is.
    jennab85
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 2

Rage by Stephen King Empty Re: Rage by Stephen King

Post by jennab85 Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:53 am

A friend of mine has a copy of The Bachman Books that was 1990's edition. Rage is in it. I read Rage and it is a good novella. I kind of wish King didn't self-censor.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:38 am

Agreed. It's funny, I never took King for being that kind of writer. This is something he started writing when HE was in high school, and pertaining to Carrie he's always gone on about high school is hell, well he would be an expert on that as first he was a student and then he became a teacher. He's certainly not condoning what the boy in the story does, I don't think many writers do when they come up with such scenarios, but it's a story to tell. The fact that 4 school gunmen all had either read this story or had it in their locker the day of the incidents, I don't buy that they got the idea from this; I think they were all planning it for some time and when they encountered the book were thinking 'aha! I can pin it on this!'
    jennab85
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 2

Post by jennab85 Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:43 pm

[quote="Supernova"]Agreed. It's funny, I never took King for being that kind of writer. This is something he started writing when HE was in high school, and pertaining to Carrie he's always gone on about high school is hell, well he would be an expert on that as first he was a student and then he became a teacher. He's certainly not condoning what the boy in the story does, I don't think many writers do when they come up with such scenarios, but it's a story to tell. The fact that 4 school gunmen all had either read this story or had it in their locker the day of the incidents, I don't buy that they got the idea from this; I think they were all planning it for some time and when they encountered the book were thinking 'aha! I can pin it on this!' [/quote]

I didn't know 4 school gunmen having the book in their lockers or reading it. About seven or eight years ago was when I first found out Rage. I read in magazine that King pulled it from print because he didn't want kids to be encouraged by it. I think those 4 gunmen probably always planned the shooting and maybe they were inspired by Rage.

I was surprised that King self censored the book. I have seen him give interviews about Carrie like you mentioned when he says "high school is hell".

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 4:33 pm