CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+3
tmontyb
Tony Marino
Supernova
7 posters

Stephen King

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Stephen King Empty Stephen King

Post by Supernova Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:02 am

You knew we'd reach that sooner or later. Who has read his books, what did you read, and what do you think of them?

I liked Carrie, the movie was better though, it made a bit more sense, but I love in the book how Carrie when she goes ballistic doesn't just kill a few classmates and turn over a few cars, half of the town is on fire because of what she did, I liked that.

I also liked Misery, but it really freaked me out when I read the original method Annie had for hobbling Paul, I read that and immediately reached back to feel my right foot to make sure it was still there. LOL

And Thinner...interesting but I wouldn't call it good.

How about everybody else?
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Stephen King Empty Re: Stephen King

Post by Tony Marino Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:34 pm

I have read:

The Shining
    Geralds Game
    The Tommyknockers
    Misery
    Pet Semetary
    The Stand
    Salem's Lot
    Firestarter
    Cujo
    Dolores Claiborne

The book The Shining was better than the movie, I hated the movie.
    Misery is probably my favorite, I hope I never meet an Annie Wilkes anytime in my life!!
    My second favorite is Cujo, made me very wary of dogs after reading that and seeing the movie.
    Firestarter movie would have been better if they had a better little actress then Drew Barrymore. (I like her a lot now)
    Loved the Salem's Lot movie, there is a edited version and a longer version, I liked the longer version.
    Carrie, what can one say about such a masterpiece, the movie was great, Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie were fabulous in their roles of mother and daughter.
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 37

Post by tmontyb Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:34 pm

It great how you guys remember all the S.K. books you've read. I've read so many I've lost count, but the one's that really stand out for me are It and the The Stand. Two of my favorite all time books ever.

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:49 pm

tmontyb wrote:the one's that really stand out for me are It and the The Stand. Two of my favorite all time books ever.

LOL!
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:57 pm

I have never read much of his work and I've seen very little. I hear as talented as he is, he's overrated at times.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:26 am

Forgiveness_Man wrote:I have never read much of his work and I've seen very little. I hear as talented as he is, he's overrated at times.

It's true, he really is, his writing isn't all that great, but damn some of those stories just suck you right in...especially (in my case anyway) if you've seen the movies first. But then again if you think about it, most famous authors ARE overrated if for nothing else because they ARE the famous ones. If they weren't famous they could never be overrated.
    CharlieFox101
    CharlieFox101
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Female
    Rep : 0

Post by CharlieFox101 Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:22 am

I love The Shining and Misery, but I agree about him being overrated because of his fame.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:19 pm

There are probably only a handful of his books that I haven't read excluding anything he did under a pseudonym making him the author I’ve read the most but he’s not my favorite. No one mentioned The Dark Tower series? I just read that there are plans to make it a TV series and a three-part movie version. My favorites by him are his short story collections and Different Seasons. I think he tends to run out of steam by his typical longer works and I’m often a little disappointed. I felt that way with Dark Tower. Couldn’t wait for the next book to come out and had to see it through to the end but I think he kind of limped to the finish line.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:54 am

Shining
    Misery
    Thinner
    Pet Semetary

I have a problem reading him though. In my opinion he is overly descriptive. He can take 20 pages to describe the setting with no action going on. As a mostly non-fiction reader, in my fiction I need conversations and actions to keep me interested. Other writers tho such as James Patterson dont seem to be as descriptive and hold my interest more
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:04 am

wants2laugh wrote:Shining
    Misery
    Thinner
    Pet Semetary

I have a problem reading him though. In my opinion he is overly descriptive. He can take 20 pages to describe the setting with no action going on. As a mostly non-fiction reader, in my fiction I need conversations and actions to keep me interested. Other writers tho such as James Patterson dont seem to be as descriptive and hold my interest more

It's like my mother, she likes detective stories but she could NOT get into Rex Stout's books, what detective did he have? Nero Wolf I think or Mike Hammer...the one she tried reading through it was too descriptive, had to tell what EVERYBODY was dressed like. Now, I can see my own writing being heavily criticized because it is a lot of dialogue and conversation and not quite as much action and details, but some people seem to like how I write so maybe it would work.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 4:35 pm