CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+3
Tony Marino
Nystyle709
Chris
7 posters

Mandatory sex-education classes coming to NYC schools (video)

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Mandatory sex-education classes coming to NYC schools (video) Empty Mandatory sex-education classes coming to NYC schools (video)

Post by Chris Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:35 am

What's your opinion of this? Do schools have a right to make Sex Ed. a mandatory part of their students curriculum?

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/education&id=8403872

Mandatory sex-education classes coming to NYC schools

Monday, Oct 24, 2011 | Updated 10:44 AM EDT

NEW YORK (WABC) -- In January schools across New York City will start mandatory Sex Education classes.

They'll include how to use a condom, and what's the appropriate age to start having sex.

"I know that as my grandchildren I want them to be able to know that abstinence is an option, it's something they have a right to choose," said Sylvia Laughlin.

Monday, a group of parents and politicians objected saying abstinence should be taught more.

The schools Chancellor says abstinence will be taught.

He even put out a statement today saying abstinence is 100 percent safe, but he says a significant percentage of our teenagers have had multiple partners so we can't stick our heads in the sand about this.

"Chancellor Walcott is going to tell you it's in there, but it's minimal. It's a really a wink and nod curriculum. They're acknowledging young people are going to have sex," said Michael Benjamin.

One thing these parents object to is Sex Ed material that includes a field trip to buy condoms and then homework on what they bought, even whether the condoms were lubricated or not.

The mayor points out if parents object, they can take their children out of the class.

"But we have a responsibility when we have an out-of-wedlock birthrate and a sexually-transmitted disease rate that we have in this city to try to do something about it. Shame on us if we don't," says Bloomberg.

But some think the whole idea of sex ed our schools is wrong.

"You know schools are responsible for many different subjects but this is not one of them. This is totally parents' responsibility," says Sheikh Moussa Drammeh.

Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Mandatory sex-education classes coming to NYC schools (video) Empty Re: Mandatory sex-education classes coming to NYC schools (video)

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:05 am

Don't have a problem with it at all.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Mandatory sex-education classes coming to NYC schools (video) Empty Re: Mandatory sex-education classes coming to NYC schools (video)

Post by Tony Marino Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:06 am

Sure why not?
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:40 pm

I'd be okay with it too.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:46 pm

I think the parents who want to stick their heads in the sand should be allowed to opt out. Otherwise go for it. Knowledge is good.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:36 pm

I read through this twice and, unless I'm just not very alert today, I don't see the ages of the students or the grades when these classes are to commence. I am hoping it's high school.

And I haven't had a child in school for a long time, so I just assumed that schools have had sex ed classes in their cirriculum, considering that they've been, or were, passing out condoms freely to the kids (which I am vehemently opposed to. . but that's another matter).

So, yes, I think the classes are fine as long as parents have the option of bowing out.

captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:46 pm

Bluesmama wrote:I read through this twice and, unless I'm just not very alert today, I don't see the ages of the students or the grades when these classes are to commence. I am hoping it's high school.
    I hope it's well before high school. If a kid hasn't received any sex education at all before he reaches high school age, he's pretty much way behind the curve. In high school kids are already doing it. The idea is the educate them BEFORE they start, otherwise it defeats the purpose! I'd say the beginning of middle school is when sex ed needs to start (sometime between 6th and 7th grade when kids have just started puberty).
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:29 am

captainbryce wrote:I hope it's well before high school. If a kid hasn't received any sex education at all before he reaches high school age, he's pretty much way behind the curve. In high school kids are already doing it. The idea is the educate them BEFORE they start, otherwise it defeats the purpose! I'd say the beginning of middle school is when sex ed needs to start (sometime between 6th and 7th grade when kids have just started puberty).

Actually, I have to agree on that one. Looking back on it, I can think of three girls who had babies in junior high.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:30 pm

Bluesmama wrote:

Actually, I have to agree on that one. Looking back on it, I can think of three girls who had babies in junior high.
    no
    And that is just a goddamn shame! But you know what, had these kids been made aware of the consequences of their actions, had they known how to use condoms, had they even had access to condoms in the first place would they still have had babies in junior high? Probably not.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:18 pm

Sex Ed is a joke. It's an imaginary security net for irresponsible teens and parents.

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 10:56 am