CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
Nystyle709
Tony Marino
Shale
CeCe
Alan Smithee
Chris
10 posters

Is (school) bullying worse today than it was when you were a kid?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Is (school) bullying worse today than it was when you were a kid? Empty Is (school) bullying worse today than it was when you were a kid?

Post by Chris Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:39 am

Kids being bullied has become a national focal point following those handful of high profile suicides. Do you think bullying is better or worse today than when you were a kid, or about the same?
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Is (school) bullying worse today than it was when you were a kid? Empty Re: Is (school) bullying worse today than it was when you were a kid?

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:50 am

I'm going to say worse only because of cyber-bullying. Otherwise, I don't think there's a greater percentage now. Just that it's being talked about more.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Is (school) bullying worse today than it was when you were a kid? Empty Re: Is (school) bullying worse today than it was when you were a kid?

Post by CeCe Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:54 am

I do think it's worse. Mainly because people are losing their common decency. There's a higher level of apathy & a growing number of people who believe "freedom of speech" means you can say whatever you want without consequence. Put all that together & it's one big social clusterfuck. There was a time when it wasn't this bad. Technology has certainly increased it as well.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:30 am

CeCe wrote:I do think it's worse. Mainly because people are losing their common decency. There's a higher level of apathy & a growing number of people who believe "freedom of speech" means you can say whatever you want without consequence. Put all that together & it's one big social clusterfuck. There was a time when it wasn't this bad. Technology has certainly increased it as well.
    co-signs
    I honestly don't recall bullying in high school. We did verbally mock one kid that was nerdier than us but it wasn't open taunting, and never anything physical.

Could be that I was a bit bigger than most in my class because of being a year older (no, I didn't fail - my B'day is late in the year) so didn't get picked on, but I don't recall it being done to others either.

Of course we weren't plugged into another reality - any bullying had to be done IRL.

So yeah, it is a current problem brot on by teen angst mixed with apathy and less decency.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:56 am

I don't think its worse I think that when I was a kid we handled the bullying on our own. If there was a bully bothering someone we made it our business to kick his ass and that would teach him a lesson. I think kids were tougher years ago than today.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:24 pm

Tony Marino wrote:I don't think its worse I think that when I was a kid we handled the bullying on our own. If there was a bully bothering someone we made it our business to kick his ass and that would teach him a lesson. I think kids were tougher years ago than today.
    co-signs

These kids today are such wusses. Add the fact that Facebook is the devil and cyber bullying is more prevalent. How you gonna be scared of a so called bully over the computer?
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:51 pm

Tony Marino wrote:I don't think its worse I think that when I was a kid we handled the bullying on our own. If there was a bully bothering someone we made it our business to kick his ass and that would teach him a lesson. I think kids were tougher years ago than today.

That's why it's worse today because that's called assault and battery now; it's okay for the bullies to beat the shit out of anybody they want but if the victims fight back THEY must be arrested because they're doing something wrong.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:33 pm

I think technology makes it worse today. Someone picked on during the day runs the risk of it snowballing overnight with kids texting each other and using FB to chat about the victim.

In my day, kids were picked on something fierce, but the kids could go home at night and not have all that same bull shit away from them while at home. Now, the technology extends the bullying into the home at night.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:26 am

CeCe wrote:I do think it's worse. Mainly because people are losing their common decency. There's a higher level of apathy & a growing number of people who believe "freedom of speech" means you can say whatever you want without consequence. Put all that together & it's one big social clusterfuck. There was a time when it wasn't this bad. Technology has certainly increased it as well.

Is (school) bullying worse today than it was when you were a kid? 35166

Good post!

I remember a fair amount of nasty bullying while growing up several decades ago, but it's gotten much worse. Kids have no conscience or fear of consequences, and yes ~ cyberbullying has added a whole new dimension.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:28 am

Indeeeeed, I think we need to get a bit lenient on these assault and battery laws and let the victims beat the shit out of the people harassing them. Because the adults aren't going to do anything about it, we all know that, they can't take a chance having to reprimand the popular kids because they want the kids to like them. So, let the parties involved settle the matter themselves.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:36 am

Supernova wrote:Indeeeeed, I think we need to get a bit lenient on these assault and battery laws and let the victims beat the shit out of the people harassing them. Because the adults aren't going to do anything about it, we all know that, they can't take a chance having to reprimand the popular kids because they want the kids to like them. So, let the parties involved settle the matter themselves.

Yup. I used to tell my daughter to never start anything, but finish when she can.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:41 am

Bluesmama wrote:

Yup. I used to tell my daughter to never start anything, but finish when she can.

And as I've pointed out, I don't know that there's a connection, but when it was NOT illegal for bullied kids to fight back and punch out their attackers, you did not see kids bringing guns to school to blow everyone else away before blowing their own brains out. But, in today's world where you can't do anything to retaliate or YOU'RE punished for defending yourself, we have quite a few students bringing in guns and making bombs and all that. IS it just coincidence? For some reason I don't think so.
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:48 am

I agree. This is a generation of coddling kids when it comes to bullying. Instead of encouraging kids to stand up for themselves and to have honor and pride, kids today are wilting little flowers who need a coalition to protect them from even the most ridiculous of concepts like "cyber bullying".

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 4:00 pm